Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant pipe repair common?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 08:04 PM
newporsche is an unknown quantity at this point
coolant pipe repair common?

hey all has a lot of people experienced the coolant pipe bursting problem? if its a low mileage panamera would it be ok, or must it be proactively replaced before it leaks? Has porsche issued a recall on it? I am presuming if you just wait until it bursts then you will be faced with significantly more in repairs?

Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Paul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think that there is a recall, but I believe when they do certain repairs sometimes they will fit a newer part number on the pipe - a clamp. They have a new part number or something, but I don't think there is a specific recall.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:16 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Have you had issues with certain hose(s)? I'm not aware of global coolant burst issues like the 996T. I think age may be more a factor than mileage especially for rubber components.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:09 AM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
The main coolant pipe that connects to the thermostat housing is glued in place on certain (early?) models and is subject to failure over time due to heat cycling. A knowledgeable mechanic can determine the integrity of this joint and repair it prior to catastrophic failure and replace it w/ an upgraded T-stat housing that is bolted instead of glued in place. The new P/N is: 948 106 080 02

My repair costs were ~$1,500 for parts and labor and included a new thermostat and all associated seals and gaskets. While in there he also cleaned the carbon buildup on the intake runners. Car had 55k miles at the time of this repair.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:28 PM
is that cost after the coolant pipe bursts or is that the cost for a proactive fix?

Old 04-09-2019, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by newporsche
is that cost after the coolant pipe bursts or is that the cost for a proactive fix?
Mine never failed - this was a proactive fix for my car.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:21 AM
mrwilliamsburg is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone know when the upgraded thermostat housing with the bolted-on coolant pipes replaced the original version with the glued-in coolant pipes? I've looked closely at my 2013 Panamera Turbo, but the coolant pipes terminate just far enough under the intake that it's impossible to tell which version of the thermostat housing my vehicle has without some disassembly (which I don't want to do). I've seen someone over on the Cayenne forum mention that the coolant pipe issue was corrected by Porsche by the 2013 model year, but don't know that for a fact (this thermostat housing fits both the Panamera and the Cayenne). Also, every post on the Panamera forum regarding coolant pipe failure appears to be about 2010-2012 models. Anyone know for certain? I'm trying to determine if this is something I should address proactively (if my vehicle has the original style thermostat housing with the glued-in coolant pipes) or don't really need to worry about (if my vehicle has the newer style thermostat housing with the bolted-on coolant pipes).

Old 04-13-2019, 12:28 AM
AluminumMistress is an unknown quantity at this point

This happened to me in Feb. I have a ‘10 4S so it was the older version where the pipes were set with some sort of glue. From what I understand cars after the minor update have the new ver with the flanges.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:36 PM
^^^how much did it cost you for the fix?

Old 04-13-2019, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by skiracer13

My repair costs were ~$1,500 for parts and labor and included a new thermostat and all associated seals and gaskets. While in there he also cleaned the carbon buildup on the intake runners. Car had 55k miles at the time of this repair.
As per previous post

Old 05-01-2019, 07:56 AM
mrwilliamsburg is an unknown quantity at this point
I've found the answer to my question in Porsche's response to an NHTSA safety inquiry regarding coolant pipe failures in certain 996 and 997 models, which can be viewed at:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/201...009-57948P.pdf

It's an interesting read. Porsche's response to the NHTSA indicates that glued-in coolant pipes were also used on 2010 - 2014 Panameras and 2011 - 2014 Cayennes. Back when this response was written in 2013, Porsche believed the failure rate of the glued-in joints to be around 1.5% for the 996 and 997 models that were the subject of the inquiry. I'm sure that number goes up in a big way over time.

The bottom line for Panamera owners is that the new thermostat housing with the bolted-on coolant pipes didn't come online until the 2015 model year. As the owner of a 2013 Panamera Turbo, I'm going to take action to address this before I have a problem and am left on the side of the road with a catastrophic failure.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:32 PM
rgfinnegan3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I paid $1500 and it included removing the carbon buildup from the Intake Manifolds, see this or search walnut: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ant-going.html

Old 06-27-2021, 04:34 PM
Would the dealership be able to check if the pipe is currently loose and may need the proactive repair or would they not check without charging for a regular servicing appointment requiring an hour of labor?

I'm at 75000km and it's summer time now so I'm thinking with excessive summer heat it might be more prone for becoming loose?

Has anyone else with the early panameras not had to replace the coolant pipes as of yet? Would be good to get some data.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:27 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mrwilliamsburg
Does anyone know when the upgraded thermostat housing with the bolted-on coolant pipes replaced the original version with the glued-in coolant pipes? I've looked closely at my 2013 Panamera Turbo, but the coolant pipes terminate just far enough under the intake that it's impossible to tell which version of the thermostat housing my vehicle has without some disassembly (which I don't want to do). I've seen someone over on the Cayenne forum mention that the coolant pipe issue was corrected by Porsche by the 2013 model year, but don't know that for a fact (this thermostat housing fits both the Panamera and the Cayenne). Also, every post on the Panamera forum regarding coolant pipe failure appears to be about 2010-2012 models. Anyone know for certain? I'm trying to determine if this is something I should address proactively (if my vehicle has the original style thermostat housing with the glued-in coolant pipes) or don't really need to worry about (if my vehicle has the newer style thermostat housing with the bolted-on coolant pipes).
get a cheap Endoscope and look, cheap insurance and easy to see, you can pick one up from amazon for $20-$60

Old 06-29-2021, 09:53 PM
Nikita4Ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Please get it fixed. Time is not on your side.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: coolant pipe repair common?