Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 02:19 PM
gvenz33 is infamous around these parts
Help with errors and codes

have a 2011 Porsche Panamera 4S

So I am getting 2 errors on my dashboard:
1. Fault Chassis system
2. Fault Headlight control

The car is leveled and not slammed to the ground. So it’s drivable. Both headlights come on. I tried holding down the raise button for 12 seconds to see if the compressor engages but it doesn’t.

I connected my PiWiS but I am not sure which codes have been there and which ones were new that is associated with the 2 errors above.

the codes are:
P000A A camshaft Position Slow response Bank 1
806301 Gas discharge lamp (Xenon) undercotage/overtemperature
870A 0E Dipped Beam Right faulty
87090E dipped beam left faulty

802108 Terminal 56 b
C1200C Communication PASM control Unit
00208A Sport mode faulty
C11011 Control Unit function restriction

I am pretty sure the headlight ones are all related but I am not 100% sure which other ones are related.

I replaced both xenon bulbs recently because the right one went out and when I replaced it initially, I read that voltage differences could be an issue. I wasn’t sure, so I decided to replace both at the same time so they had the same voltage etc.

trying to figure out what could be causing the 2 errors on the instrument panel. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-05-2021, 05:34 PM
jzchen is infamous around these parts
If the suspension is working pressing the level button >10 secs causes it to drop/car slammed. Do any leak? I stopped driving ours until I could find a solution once I found a leak....

There's a choice in PIWIS called Guided Fault Finding. My current version is shaded out meaning I can't run it. It immediately led me directly to the problem I had which even the dealer missed (when I paid them to diagnose it). See if you can run that in your version.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:38 PM
What I learned from an Automotive Lighting forum is that Xenon Gas Discharge bulbs get old over time and should be changed out sooner than I originally thought. They apparently build up resistance as they age taxing/damaging the expensive ballasts. I haven't checked the pricing on those but maybe the bulbs were too old (hours of use) and did the ballasts in.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by jzchen
What I learned from an Automotive Lighting forum is that Xenon Gas Discharge bulbs get old over time and should be changed out sooner than I originally thought. They apparently build up resistance as they age taxing/damaging the expensive ballasts. I haven't checked the pricing on those but maybe the bulbs were too old (hours of use) and did the ballasts in.
i couldn’t find the Guided help option. I was hoping not to buy ballasts but does make sense. I will buy and replace and update my results.

still need to figure out the system chassis fault. I heard it could be the sensor. Anyone have a picture/diagram where exactly the sensor is located on the strut and what it looks like?

Old 06-06-2021, 03:47 AM
The fault finding feature isn't quite impressive. You just manually select your model/chassis and then ECU, find the code and select it. It's not very hard to find in the PIWIS 3 but I'm not familiar with 2....

Regarding the height sensors @ciaka posted a Air suspension informational not too far down I'm going to try to link his first post. Under "4." picture #4 shows a nice shot of the sensor. It is mounted to the wheel well and has plastic armature that ultimately connects to the bottom of the upper control arm. There's a plastic pin that you'll need to carefully use a center punch to push it out or carefully pry it down to release it from the arm. Then one hex bolt to loosen it from the wheel well...
​​​​​
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera/424200-panamera-air-suspension-system-info.html#post4738020

Old 06-06-2021, 05:02 AM
shrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud of
C1200C Communication PASM control Unit - that's most likely where the issue is. That's the brain for the suspension. Outright failures are rare but not unheard of. It's in the luggage compartment, on the left side. Having said that, I've never seen the "Terminal 56 B" code, so that could be related and causing the fault at the control unit. Could be something as simple as a blown fuse. For the headlights, did you use OEM Porsche lamps? Off-brand lamps can pull too much or too little power and kill the ballasts.

Out of all the codes you show, the camshaft response is the one that would keep me awake at night. Clear all the codes out and see which ones return. If that one comes back, you should really get it fixed asap.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:18 PM
The fault finding feature isn't quite impressive. You just manually select your model/chassis and then ECU, find the code and select it. It's not very hard to find in the PIWIS 3 but I'm not familiar with 2....

Regarding the height sensors @ciaka posted a Air suspension informational not too far down I'm going to try to link his first post. Under "4." picture #4 shows a nice shot of the sensor. It is mounted to the wheel well and has plastic armature that ultimately connects to the bottom of the upper control arm. There's a plastic pin that you'll need to carefully use a center punch to push it out or carefully pry it down to release it from the arm. Then one hex bolt to loosen it from the wheel well...
​​​​​
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4738020
thats a nice write up. I will check it out. Do you happen to know where the ECU is located?

Old 06-06-2021, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by shrike071
C1200C Communication PASM control Unit - that's most likely where the issue is. That's the brain for the suspension. Outright failures are rare but not unheard of. It's in the luggage compartment, on the left side. Having said that, I've never seen the "Terminal 56 B" code, so that could be related and causing the fault at the control unit. Could be something as simple as a blown fuse. For the headlights, did you use OEM Porsche lamps? Off-brand lamps can pull too much or too little power and kill the ballasts.

Out of all the codes you show, the camshaft response is the one that would keep me awake at night. Clear all the codes out and see which ones return. If that one comes back, you should really get it fixed asap.
I think the camshaft error is the cam sensor from what was told. Hopefully it’s not more.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by gvenz33
thats a nice write up. I will check it out. Do you happen to know where the ECU is located?
Someone on here found it. I believe driver side back in the trunk, or was it passenger side. (I'll see if I can find the thread).

I spent a good amount of time searching the Panamera pages for the guy's thread(s). I know he tracks his with good success. Anyways if I recall correctly it's near one of the tail lights.....

Last edited by jzchen; 06-08-2021 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:35 PM
an update on the light control fault, I decided to order two ballasts just in case. I replaced the first one on the right headlight, turned on the car, and the fault was still there.

I then decided “what the hell,” let me replace the left one and see what happens. Replaced the left headlight ballast and then turn the car back on and the error was gone. So you were right, it was the ballast.

everything was working so I did not decide to go back to the right headlight and replace the new ballast with the old. I figured I would replace both of them anyways since the initial problem was the right headlight Xenon bulb was blown.

my next project is to tackle the chassis system failure issue and see if I can get that to work. I tried holding down the lift button for 10 seconds but it doesn’t respond. I also tried checking the fuses and all the fuses looked great. So my next plan of action is to see if I can find/locate the ECU module and replace that. Hopefully that will bring the suspension back to life. Will keep you Posted.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the update about the lighting issue! (Glad I paid attention over on the Candlepowerforums). I can understand a filament and the halogen cycle... Didn't think you'd ever need to change a gas discharge bulb since there is no filament, until it failed...

​​​​​Best of luck on a quick solution on the suspension!

Old 06-11-2021, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the update about the lighting issue! (Glad I paid attention over on the Candlepowerforums). I can understand a filament and the halogen cycle... Didn't think you'd ever need to change a gas discharge bulb since there is no filament, until it failed...

​​​​​Best of luck on a quick solution on the suspension!
Question: would I get the Fault Chassis System error if the spark plugs or coils need to be replaced?

Old 06-11-2021, 12:16 PM
shrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud of
Question: would I get the Fault Chassis System error if the spark plugs or coils need to be replaced?
Edit: Anything is possible, I guess?

Last edited by shrike071; 06-17-2021 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by shrike071
No..
Thanks. That's plain and simple and to the point. OK, back to checking the ECU and sensors. Will post update when I handle it this weekend.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:58 AM
I've seen people claim so on here. Haven't experienced it personally. Possible?

Spark/Coil issue -> Sport Mode (disable) -> Chassis System disable -> fault when you try sport mode.

I guess it could happen in that way.

So hopefully you've narrowed down what codes are remaining? (The ones that come back even after clearing). I tried to open the other hard drive I had to see if the two PIWIS there had "Fault Finding". I ended up overwriting it with the bad one...
​​​​​​

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with errors and codes