Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Need help with appraisal for V12 manual trans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 11:24 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
Need help with appraisal for V12 manual trans

Trying to get appraised value on my newly purchased of 2011 V12 Vantage manual with 14K miles. Need to figure out $$ amount for agreed value for insurance. Been trying to get market value for this car, but it's hard because not many comps. Do you have any suggestions, appraiser or other way to get value on this car?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2024, 06:38 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
It's been my experience with collector car insurance to all for much more and then they will come back with an offer and you finalize from there.

It's rare, higher value for sure. Good luck with your new ride!

Old 05-09-2024, 06:47 AM
ram_g will become famous soon enough
Classic.com

https://www.classic.com/m/aston-martin/vantage/2nd-gen/v12/vantage-coupe/

__PRESENT__PRESENT

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 05-12-2024 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:40 AM
LuvBurninFuel will become famous soon enough
Hagerty will let you insure for the value you feel the cars is, within reason I assume.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:47 AM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
That's what I'm trying to achieve- find a number- what market price?

Old 05-12-2024, 04:09 PM
IJWS will become famous soon enoughIJWS will become famous soon enough
Market seems like $120-135,000. Are you trying to insure it for more or less than that range?

Old 05-12-2024, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by IJWS
Market seems like $120-135,000. Are you trying to insure it for more or less than that range?
Recent sales for 11 with 395 miles gone for 204k another one listed on AT for $169k, I think my car should be around $150k ish, but I'm not an expert. I'm trying to find out what is the right price of I have to advertise to sell it today.

Old 05-12-2024, 09:46 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
I have State Farm and mine is insured for a flat rate. I called my agent and told him I want to insure the car for. Set amount. You’re rate is based on the amount you and the agent agree on.
Got a cracked windshield and turned in a claim for, get this $5000. I paid $500 they paid the rest and did not bat an eye. AM dealers seem to think they have a license to steal. I had a Lotus Europa TCS and that windshield was replaced for $500. Now that’s on a car that a total run of 10,000 were made using a windshield from a car not a Lotus that even imported to the USA.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:35 PM
USMMA is an unknown quantity at this point
If you just purchased it, won’t they just use the purchase price as the value for insurance?

Old 05-13-2024, 07:18 PM
IJWS will become famous soon enoughIJWS will become famous soon enough
I think the OP is facing a weird situation because it is the opposite of typical insurance. Typically you buy a car for $100k, the insurance says "this car is a $100,000 car, it costs this much to insure. Pay us this." Then, if you get in a bad spot and lose that car, insurance comes back to you and says "well your car significantly depreciated since you bought it. Sucks for you, here's a check for 30% less than you paid. Good luck finding a replacement but good news, there are plenty." The "there are plenty" line is key to the OP's situation. Aston Martin did not make a lot of V12 Vantages. (Maybe less than 1,000? I don't know.) So the OP is in a weird situation. Once they bought their (gorgeous) red example, two things happened: 1) a climbing price was recorded raising the typical value of all the other V12V's, 2) one less car was available for sale. The OP just bought a potentially appreciating asset which is counter to the entire auto industry's setup. I think that the decision the OP has to figure out is: do I insure this car like a normal car and risk it? Or do I insure this car like a classic/collectible car and pay a little more money just-in-case? I don't have the answer but I see that it isn't a simple question.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by IJWS
I think the OP is facing a weird situation because it is the opposite of typical insurance. Typically you buy a car for $100k, the insurance says "this car is a $100,000 car, it costs this much to insure. Pay us this." Then, if you get in a bad spot and lose that car, insurance comes back to you and says "well your car significantly depreciated since you bought it. Sucks for you, here's a check for 30% less than you paid. Good luck finding a replacement but good news, there are plenty." The "there are plenty" line is key to the OP's situation. Aston Martin did not make a lot of V12 Vantages. (Maybe less than 1,000? I don't know.) So the OP is in a weird situation. Once they bought their (gorgeous) red example, two things happened: 1) a climbing price was recorded raising the typical value of all the other V12V's, 2) one less car was available for sale. The OP just bought a potentially appreciating asset which is counter to the entire auto industry's setup. I think that the decision the OP has to figure out is: do I insure this car like a normal car and risk it? Or do I insure this car like a classic/collectible car and pay a little more money just-in-case? I don't have the answer but I see that it isn't a simple question.
I bought my car lower than what I've seen on market last 2-3 years, so what I'm trying to find out is the real market price so I can show insurance co some data when I choose the value of the car. What do you think these cars are worth? Low 100k or mid 100k? Or higher than mid 100k

Old 05-13-2024, 09:17 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 007JB
Trying to get appraised value on my newly purchased of 2011 V12 Vantage manual with 14K miles. Need to figure out $$ amount for agreed value for insurance. Been trying to get market value for this car, but it's hard because not many comps. Do you have any suggestions, appraiser or other way to get value on this car?

Thanks
160-180k
Only going up.. Slowly..

Old 05-13-2024, 09:52 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Alot of it depends on the color and the specs. If it's common black, meteorite, obsidian interior, how many options, etc. The really desirable cars are more unique, not a dealer order for stock platform, but in a beautiful color and specs many would appreciate.

If it's Jet Black with a few options and black interior, it's probably $135ish. If it's Cinnabar with Sandstone and many options, it's $165ish.

Old 05-15-2024, 07:38 PM
Kalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Alot of it depends on the color and the specs. If it's common black, meteorite, obsidian interior, how many options, etc. The really desirable cars are more unique, not a dealer order for stock platform, but in a beautiful color and specs many would appreciate.

If it's Jet Black with a few options and black interior, it's probably $135ish. If it's Cinnabar with Sandstone and many options, it's $165ish.
Normally I'd agree with this. But it's a V12 with a manual. It's rare regardless of the spec.

You need to look at sales for comparable cars in the last 6 months (good resources for that are bringatrailer and carsandbids), and the asking prices for cars currently for sale (use autotempest for this, it's an aggregating site). Take the average of the prices and mileage, and adjust your estimate up or down based on your mileage (and condition) compared to the average.

In your case, there aren't going to be a lot of comps out there, so do the best you can with that advice.

My opinion is to insure it for 160k and re-evaluate that number next year. That's what I'm doing with my Vanquish, insured through Hagerty with an agreed-value policy.

Old 05-15-2024, 07:51 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Kalepsis
Normally I'd agree with this. But it's a V12 with a manual. It's rare regardless of the spec.
Rare regardless of spec does not equal what somebody will pay. Remember the 3,000 mile Carbon Black that couldn't reach $150,000 on BAT last year? Carbon Black is a common spec on V12V's, the more desirable a rare spec, the more somebody will pay.

Last edited by HabitualOffender; 05-15-2024 at 08:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help with appraisal for V12 manual trans