Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Brakes on Bentayga -Dealer funny business!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 07:19 PM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
Brakes on Bentayga -Dealer funny business!

Wife has a '20 Bentayga purchased CPO w/~18,200 miles from Bentley dealer 9 months ago with 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty. Current mileage is ~19,400 - 1200 miles in 9 months. She complained about brake squeal when parking so we took it in to have it checked. Service guy calls an hour later and says front brakes (ceramic) need to be replaced (pads, rotors & sensors) as there was only 3-4mm left, for $4350 (my indy guy would do it for $2800).
I called foul and said that a CPO car shouldn't have been sold with the brakes so far gone that it costs $3.48 per mile in brake wear and that they should cover it under warranty as they should have renewed them before selling it. Because it was a CPO car w/warranty from the dealer I didn't have the indy inspect pre-delivery. Service writer actually agreed with my position (as did my indy) and brought it to management. A half hour later he calls back and says brakes actually have 50% (5 to 7mm) wear left and never mind. They only need to be replaced to get rid of the squeal if it bothers hers her too much!
Sounds like total BS to me - either they were lying before or they're lying now. Next step for me is to have my indy have a look and tell me the truth. He's a trusted friend of 10 years so I know he'll give me the real measurements.
Any words of wisdom from the collective?

Old 05-10-2024, 12:47 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BruceR
Wife has a '20 Bentayga purchased CPO w/~18,200 miles from Bentley dealer 9 months ago with 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty. Current mileage is ~19,400 - 1200 miles in 9 months. She complained about brake squeal when parking so we took it in to have it checked. Service guy calls an hour later and says front brakes (ceramic) need to be replaced (pads, rotors & sensors) as there was only 3-4mm left, for $4350 (my indy guy would do it for $2800).....

Sounds like total BS to me - either they were lying before or they're lying now. Next step for me is to have my indy have a look and tell me the truth. He's a trusted friend of 10 years so I know he'll give me the real measurements.
Any words of wisdom from the collective?

You answered your own question. The squeal is something else. Your Indy will figure it out.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:48 AM
Dgeedhar is an unknown quantity at this point
What model Bentayga do you have? I didn’t know that the Bentayga came with ceramics. Also why would the brakes be worn out at below 20k? My flying spur is at 48k and dealer said I still have quite some time. My Bentayga just hit 10k last week hopefully wont get the same news as I can also hear the squeaking sometimes while parking.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:56 AM
You know, I think you're right! When the service dept told me they were ceramic I questioned that he said they were. I just looked at the build sheet and there was nothing about ceramic brakes. I'll investigate this further. That's fraud in my my mind. Thanks for mentioning this.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:21 AM
On the Speed, I’m pretty sure that it’s an option but on the V8 there is no option at all to my knowledge. As far as the squeaking goes, both my Spur and Bentayga squeak. Maybe it’s because I don’t use them as much as my other cars? But the dealer said that it’s normal and there’s nothing abnormal. The Bentayga makes an ocasional very loud squeal when parking or at very low speeds, especially in reverse. I noticed that noise is only there after a drive. Never after just starting to drive. Hope this helps!

Old 05-10-2024, 11:24 AM
Yes! Exactly the same issue at very low speed. Thank you VERY much for this info.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:39 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Yes! Exactly the same issue at very low speed. Thank you VERY much for this info.

Gentlemen,

Same problem on a Lexus. Cycle the emergency brake and see if that helps. That solution worked on the Lexus. A slight drag was causing harmonics..ie squeal.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:41 AM
Would never have thought of that, I'll give it a try.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:48 AM
Thanks, will try this too.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:54 PM
v8plus4 is on a distinguished road
You know, I think you're right! When the service dept told me they were ceramic I questioned that he said they were. I just looked at the build sheet and there was nothing about ceramic brakes. I'll investigate this further. That's fraud in my my mind. Thanks for mentioning this.
If they are ceramic, they will be a lot more than $4,350 to replace. And they likely wouldn't be at 3-4mm after only 19k miles.

Old 05-10-2024, 01:06 PM
Randy V is on a distinguished road
Does the Bentayga have a low brake pad warning system? I know the CGT does but it has never indicated that on mine even though the pads are fitted with a warning sensor. I have to go by brake sound/squeal.

i think there is some confusion here about 'ceramic' brakes versus carbon fiber brakes.

Brake PADS can be of a low dust ceramic composition that are more prone to squealing than typical softer brake pads that throw much more brake dust.

Carbon fiber brakes (rotors) will cost up to $10K to replace, so I'm guessing you are talking ceramic brake pads.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Randy V
Does the Bentayga have a low brake pad warning system? I know the CGT does but it has never indicated that on mine even though the pads are fitted with a warning sensor. I have to go by brake sound/squeal.

i think there is some confusion here about 'ceramic' brakes versus carbon fiber brakes.

Brake PADS can be of a low dust ceramic composition that are more prone to squealing than typical softer brake pads that throw much more brake dust.

Carbon fiber brakes (rotors) will cost up to $10K to replace, so I'm guessing you are talking ceramic brake pads.
That makes sense and may indeed explain the confusion.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:04 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
+1 on what @Randy V said as to ceramic vs. cf.

As to the vehicle having the pad warning system, yes, it does, here is the part number for the front sensor wires.

Johnny

Old 05-11-2024, 12:12 PM
Randy V is on a distinguished road
Johnny - regarding the brake pad warning system on the CGT, I have had brakes inspected showing pads were well into the sensor, but the system never threw a warning. The only indication of pad wear is the squeal noise we know from the earlier type cars. Modern pads continue to incorporate the metal strips that generate the squeal noise as the pad wears against the rotor.

Old 05-11-2024, 02:14 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @Randy V ,
Our OEM from Bentley dealership front pads do not have any built-in metal strip to contact the rotor at any time of wear, therefore no squeal, the front pads simply have the electric connection for wear sensor, the rears (depending on year) have no sensor or wear strip at all, the rear pad wear warning is done by calculations of the rear electric parking brakes control module and the amperage drawn by the electric parking brake motors, that's why when rear pads are replaced, you must tell the module the thickness of said new pads, 12-14mm, some brake pad kits do show the rears with a stand alone wear sensor for each side of the rear, but no first gen that I have seen, ever had rear sensors.

The rear metal pieces shown in pictures are not in anyway there to give any audible warning of wear, they are the sliders/guilds for the pads, these pieces never move, nor do they ever come in contact with the rotor.

As to you warning not appearing in the instrument cluster, we should look at the wiring, and I will also look to determine if the front pads work by open circuit or closed circuit, if the circuit is always open, and needs to ride the rotor to close, that could be an issue, I just learned on my new to me Range Rover L405 Autobiography LWB, that it only has one sensor on the drivers front, and one on the passenger rear, and the front is normally open, whereas the rear is normally closed, I now have a brake pad warning, eventhough supposedly all rotors and pads were replaced at the Land Rover dealership 6k miles prior to my purchase, time for me to pull all wheels and inspect, hopefully, it's just that the dealership failed to install new sensors, as they are seperate from the pads in the RR.

The squealing you have heard, very well may have been from the worn pads, and dust build-up.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 05-11-2024 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brakes on Bentayga -Dealer funny business!