Best Porsche mechanic in/around San Diego: MIRAGE INTL.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:56 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Best Porsche mechanic in/around San Diego: MIRAGE INTL.

Ok,

I know we are always looking for a good trustworthy mechanic for our cars.

I searched for over 6 months, and after getting a lot of recommendation about Mirage International in San Diego, I decided to try them out.

Its a small independent shop in San Diego that has a cult following especially in the air-cooled Porsche's that they build and set of for the track.

#1: Race Alignment: I talked with Jay about what settings would be best for my car as its both a track and dd car. He informed me that even if we max out the negative camber, with the stock components it will only achieve -1 to -1.5 on the fronts, which is a happy medium.

We did this and my next time on the track the car felt like a different car WAY BETTER TURN IN AND LESS PUSH ON EXIT!

#2: Oil Change: I was going to take it to my dealer but after taking with others I decided to go with MIRAGE as they used better oil (MOTUL) and the cost was over 60% less than what the dealer wanted.

Also they did it right in-front of me and got me in and out in about an hour

#3: Race Brake Fluid Change & Stainless steel braided brake lines.

I was noticing that at the track I was getting pedal fatigue after a few sessions and my braking was going, it was not my brakes but the BRAKE FLUID. My stock brake fluid was getting to hot and boiling!

Jay suggested going with a race fluid with a high boiling point, and stainless steel lines for better/firmer pedal feel.

Next time on the track, no fatigue in the brakes and the pedal stayed firm the whole day! Mission accomplished.

I can not say how happy I am with my car right now and with the work Jay & dave have done on my car at Mirage.

They are always there to answer my numerous phone calls about questions and always squeeze me in for work.

My favorite thingS about the shop that separate them from the rest:

1. THE SAME PEOPLE YOU TALK TO DO THE ACTUAL WORK ON YOUR CAR

2. THEY BUILD AND TUNE MANY OF THE RACE CARS FOR PCA AND POC MEMBERS

3. THEY ARE RACERS THEMSELVES - JAY WAS THE FASTEST AT BIG WILLOW LAST MONTH IN HIS 1973 RS RACE CAR! SO THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

4. NEVER ANY UPSELL - ONLY HONEST OPINIONS

5. SMALL BUSINESS - I'm a small business owner and i get excited when i find other small businesses that go above and beyond what other large business do and focus on customer service. I like to support small business.

I hope this insight helps those if they are looking for a good shop in San Diego, or just want feedback on some of the mods i did.

PM me if you have any questions.

NEXT MOD: GT3 Cup control arms and toe links!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks and question

Thanks,

I'm going to be working in San Diego for six months this year and knowing a reputable tuner is a must when you are new in town.

I 'm going to need my 20K mile check when I arrive - can you recommend a Porsche dealer (especially one that might be mod friendly) in the central San Diego area?

K.