Tech / How To

996 door speaker wires replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
996 door speaker wires replacement

Anyone here replaced the door speaker wires on 996 or 986?I saw when open the door conector.can i run solid run thru or is there molex plug in the conector between door and fender?
Just trying safe hassle and time to find out and be prepare

Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 AM
EJ_2001_986_S is on a distinguished road
Door speaker wire

I just did this in my 986 a couple of months ago. There is a plastic connector on the chassis side of the rubber hose that runs between the door and the chassis. In my case there was a whole part of that connector that wasn't being used so I unclipped it and used it as a pass through. But getting the wires through both that and the rubber hose into/out of the door was a major pain. I highly recommend going and getting a wire fish tape made for running wires and some silicone spray. I used a bent wire from a coat hanger and it wasn't easy and I ran a risk of tearing the rubber hose.

On the door side of the rubber hose I had to make a hole in a rubber grommet for the wires to come through because I couldn't get all the wire loom and wrapping off to get a clean pass through.

It was probably the most difficult/frustrating part of the whole speaker install to run those wires. But I'm glad I did it since I've now got 12 gauge instead of the thin factory stuff and I was able to keep all the factory wiring intact in case I needed to change back one day.

Good luck

Old 10-09-2011, 04:39 AM
JoeL. is on a distinguished road
When doing this be careful not to damage the connector at the door hinge as the protective rubber seal faster clips break easily. It's also important to make sure to secure this rubber boot properly as to not allow water ingression which will lead to wire harness corrosion/meltdown. Seen it at least a hundred times.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:52 PM
teoulennon is on a distinguished road
Bump! I'm not exactly sure if I understood what's being explained in the posts b/c I haven't seen the door panels off yet but..
I plan on installing an aftermarket component set soon and am looking for more specifics on wiring the door speakers.
Looking at pics it seems there are connector "plugs" that plug straight into the midwoofer box to power the factor speaker.
Do you use these connectors somehow with the new speakers or bypass them and run new wires from the amp to the new speaker somehow?
If you did this wouldn't you have to drill a hole in the enclosure and reseal it?