Tech / How To

Reduce Car Interior Switches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 03:49 AM
NidhinTEL is on a distinguished road
Reduce Car Interior Switches

Dear Friends,

What is the next generation technology for car switches? Recently I have conducted a study regarding the switches in cars.
In most of the cars, there are more than 40-50 switches are there. How can we reduce the number of switches without missing any features?

Any new display oriented technology emerged? How can I give more than one functionality to a switch? Switch I meant like all the interior switches used by passenger and driver for playing audio/video, Ac control switches, mirror control switches etc.

Recently I got a chance to visit the website www.deam.biz. There is a product called liteface. I am looking for those type technologies.
Can anybody suggest such things? Liteface product

-Hopefully
Nidhin.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:52 AM
Jcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to behold
I would say, and I'm sure I am not the first one to think of this, but make the radio interface more like a touch screen iPad - where you click on the icon you want and adjust the options via a touch screen computer. Also, maybe voice command activated like the Apple 4S phone.

Last edited by Jcusa; 08-03-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:23 AM
NidhinTEL is on a distinguished road
Next generation switch gears

Thanks for quick reply dear friend. Voice inputs and touch screen displays are already available in luxury vehicles. Studies showing that the user experience is an important factor. You shared a good idea.

For example, users will expect a rotary device for increase the volume of a song. They may not expect a touch or volume control for that. Similarly most users not interested to look in HMI while driving too.

Hope you got the points...

-Nidhin

Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Porsche is going the other way, they think folks like buttons. I sat in a Panamera GTS and unscientifically counted 82 buttons within the reach of the driver.

Touch screens are not my favorite unless designed really well as they could be extremely distracting while driving. But then again, a new generation of folks are out there where touch screen is second nature.