air conditioner use at track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:34 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
PCA requires like most all track clubs to run with the windows down.

I still run with the A/C on full blast with vents aimed at me. None of you on here will notice the .5hp loss with the A/C on...

heck the aerodynamics with the windows down will slow you down more than the A/C.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Banned
AKMEE is on a distinguished road
some full race cars have AC! the C6 Vette started adding AC to allow the cabin temp to be at 60F or something. it greatly reduces driver's fatigue for those long endurance stints.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 PM
CLS
CLS will become famous soon enoughCLS will become famous soon enough
Hooked on Driving and Track Masters both require windows down for there events, but I have run the a/c on at Thunderhill, very hot, and directed the vents to me and it helped some. With at least my year 2001 996 C4 when WOT the a/c is cut and you lose any cooling. So the only time is is nice is on the cool down lap and rolling back to the pits.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned
derek k is on a distinguished road
pretend your running ALMS and run the a/c!!! mandatory on all GT cars next year. This year Porsche was the only make without it.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM
ARG
ARG is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by derek k
pretend your running ALMS and run the a/c!!! mandatory on all GT cars next year. This year Porsche was the only make without it.
Hey Derek, I for one would have been happier if Kevin had fitted A/C to the 81 car! It gets up to 60deg in the cabin on 40deg days and I've had to put in extra vents and blowers to stop passing out.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
windows up and sunroof open. that's how we do it.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:39 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oak
windows up and sunroof open. that's how we do it.
Dangerous too!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:56 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
only if you land upside down.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:13 AM
Sheikh.Dani is on a distinguished road
Can't live without it, honestly .... IMO, the loss of power it's insignificant plus in some cars at WOT A/C cuts off.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Mark Dreyer has a spectacular aura aboutMark Dreyer has a spectacular aura aboutMark Dreyer has a spectacular aura about
I had understood that once you reach higher rpm's your a/c compressor cuts out so as to prevent it from destructing. Thus, all you are getting is hot air.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I had understood that once you reach higher rpm's your a/c compressor cuts out so as to prevent it from destructing. Thus, all you are getting is hot air.
Hi Mark, mine seems to blow cold air all the time. Chip V atthe track keeps his A/C on all the time and we know how fast he is.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Mark Dreyer has a spectacular aura aboutMark Dreyer has a spectacular aura aboutMark Dreyer has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mdrums
Hi Mark, mine seems to blow cold air all the time. Chip V atthe track keeps his A/C on all the time and we know how fast he is.
Hi Mike,

I keep mine on too, and it blows air, but it's not cold. Once the rpms get high enough, a safety feature cuts the compressor out to save from frying it. At least that was what an instructor once told me way back in my non-solo days (one event ago-LOL)

Yup, Chip is fast and a great instructor also.

I'll be at Sebring this Sunday with Chin. See you there?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Hi Mike,

I keep mine on too, and it blows air, but it's not cold. Once the rpms get high enough, a safety feature cuts the compressor out to save from frying it. At least that was what an instructor once told me way back in my non-solo days (one event ago-LOL)

Yup, Chip is fast and a great instructor also.

I'll be at Sebring this Sunday with Chin. See you there?
I will not be back to Sebring until Chin December 22-23. Chin is sold out for the weekend you are going plus I am out of town all that week and will not have time to swap out wheels and brake pads for that event anyway.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Mike R. is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that article. I assume we'd expect to see similar results with newer model Porsches? Or, would the Porsche feature of cutting the AC off at higher rpms change the result of the study?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: air conditioner use at track