VW Touareg, Phaeton, R32 and other VolksWagen's

Switzer Performance Innovation (SPI) does more than Porsches...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:27 PM
McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !
Is that Nelsons Ledges road course?! Suck a fun track if it is. My first track day ever was on that track...

SPI creates incredible machines. I hope to buy a mkiv R out of college and take it to them...

Old 02-25-2009, 03:18 PM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by McDBrendan
Is that Nelsons Ledges road course?! Suck a fun track if it is. My first track day ever was on that track...

SPI creates incredible machines. I hope to buy a mkiv R out of college and take it to them...
Yes, Nelson Ledges it is, in lovely Garrettsville, Ohio!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Pictures from Winterfest 2009

Sorry it took so long to post these; too busy watching President Obama's latest press conference (does this guy ever stop talking?).

These are from our annual trek to Sebring and the PBOC (Porsche BMW Owners Club) Winterfest; 4+ days of sun, fun and high speed escapades at my favorite track (next to Mid Ohio). This was our 7th year going to this event which celebrated its 15th anniversary in 2009. Kudos to our good friends Bob Turnage and Joanne Schwarzmann (as well as Mark and Amy Rutenberg) for growing the event into the top flight affair it is.

The Vorschlaghammer held up wonderfully during the event. After nearly 3 years of experimentation I came to my senses and took the R32 to Switzer Performance Innovation. Tym and the gang turned our "little red brick on wheels," as it is described by our Porsche/BMW brethren who can't believe they are giving a pass signal to it, into a most entertaining and reliable track beast. It was driven nearly 800 miles during the event by my son and I in both the student and instructor groups. The only sign of wear and tear (other than tires, brakes parts, etc.) was a leaky gasket on the turbo manifold. We lost no track time which was a spectacular improvement from the previous 2 trips (2007 & 2008). A fine time was had by all!

Just a bunch of pictures from around the track- I hope you enjoy.

My son is in the passenger seat; by the look on his face he is clearly having fun

Nice E92 M3

The famous or infamous Turn One; if it isn't puckering you aren't going fast enough

Time to come in

This is our latest toy- a Video Vbox from Racelogic (one of the first into the USA). Real time data logging (CAN bus) and GPS, MPEG4 video via two (2) bullet cameras and high quality graphics engine to overlay track map and data. Our next event at Mid Ohio will yield some fun video!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:30 PM
jibberjive is infamous around these parts
Love to see a good performance car getting put through the paces at the track

Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Francesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to behold
Good work.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:25 PM
^^Thanks for the feedback

Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 AM
AutoDose is infamous around these parts
it's amazing that you can get that kind of power out of a VW. Hopefully you'll post some video from the next time you take it out with the new in car video system.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by AutoDose
it's amazing that you can get that kind of power out of a VW. Hopefully you'll post some video from the next time you take it out with the new in car video system.

The first event we have scheduled is May 1/2/3 at Mid Ohio so we will definitely have video to post of that.
April weather is quite unpredictable in this part of the country but if we can get to an April Fun Day at Nelson Ledges we will video that as well.

As far as power is concerned I am familiar with VWs (4 and 6 cylinder) that put down over 800 whp. But those are mostly show or drag cars with fully built engines. We built this car to have a more linear, useful power band for road course application. The goal is to emulate the performance curve of a NA'd engine on steroids. Since we have not touched the bottom of the engine (we have used nothing but bolt-on parts and a stand alone ECU) we run a conservative low boost (~16 psi). At higher boost levels (24-28 psi) dyno runs yield over 540awhp/540awtq but that is not as useful for me at this point nor is it as reliable.