Remember Ben...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:09 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Remember Ben...

On Wednesday night, Ben and I were emailing at 10:30 about the coming weekend's car events up in Orange County. Thursday afternoon, while I was driving and on another call with a friend, I saw his name come through on the caller ID on my cell. I told my friend, “Gotta go, I have another line I have to pick up.” I clicked over to Ben's call, and said “Ben!”, always excited and happy to talk to my buddy Ben. But it wasn't Ben, it was Charlotte calling with the worst news that took my breath away. The next day, Shannon and I went to the house and saw Charlotte, we cried and talked some, and I held the baby again. That beautiful little girl. And she had a big smile for me, like Ben. She looked at me with Ben's eyes. I never realized before how much of him is a part of her, and I realize now some of him lives on and it feels a little better.

Ben Keaton was my friend. Not for a long time by the calendar. Too short of a time for certain.

My friendship was certainly no more precious than anyone else's---Ben loved all of us car guys like brothers. Ben had a lot of friends, online and otherwise. I'm just one of the many, and glad to be.

I'd been a member of the 6speed community for a few months, conversing online with fellow car enthusiasts here and there, Ben included. There are just a few 6speeders located in San Diego so far, and Ben happened to live 10 minutes away. He also happened to be a friendly guy who loved sports cars. That's all I needed to know, and all the requirement I had for finding a new friend. So, we hooked up, and did some fun things together over the past few months.

As it turned out, Ben was someone I really took a liking to in a short time. He reminded me very much of one of my closest friends in the world who sadly passed away last year, also in his '30s. When he died, I lost some spark in my life, lost some of what I looked forward to and some of my adventurous spirit. A guy who I respected, admired, was challenged by and whom I felt had all the qualities I'd want in a brother, if I'd been fortunate enough to have one was gone. He also loved driving sports cars, like I did. We shared a common thread. It's trite perhaps, but the cars brought us closer together. Less than a year later, once again, I found a great person in the world through cars with these same qualities, and it was Ben. Talk about a spark...The guy was a blazing light of a human being.

Ben was brilliant, funny, successful, warm, aggressive in engaging everything with commitment and character, always drinking in life and enjoying every day. Those are qualities I have in some small measure, but I can't compare to Ben, he had every quality of a respected brother, friend, or hero, but amplified. If you'd never met someone "larger than life" in the best sense, after meeting Ben, you had.

I've got a few stories about experiences and fun memories with Ben, and I've written them down for Charlotte to read to Parker someday. Here's one some of you might relate to. Sorry if it's a little personal and verbose. It was just a fun day for me, and I'm terrible at editing.

Ben's friend Pete was trying out some new high-definition video camera, and wanted some driving footage. I knew he'd done a little taping of Ben driving with a few friends recently, and Ben had invited me to go often, but I was too busy with work. He invited me to come driving my car with him nearly every week, as there are many beautiful mountain roads in east San Diego to enjoy with car friends.

One day, I called Ben and said, “okay, let's go driving this week”. After a few emails and calls, we had a small group of friends and acquaintances lined up, and we met one morning and drove up into the mountains. We had Ben's seal gray Carrera GT, my white 993C2S, a yellow GT3, a red '94 3.6turbo, a pearlescent yellow Lambo Murcielago, a red Ferrari 308 and Pete's gray RX8. It was a beautiful sunny day, and Ben had his usual shotgun co-pilot pal with him, Dave Bhuta, a warm, friendly guy-no surprise.

We drove back and forth following each other on some curves for Pete to video, and whenever Ben would turn around in front of me to go the other direction, I'd hear that gorgeous sound coming from the car, and see his big smile as he went by. The guy was just having fun every moment.

I'd been hesitant to come up there, wanting to go out on the racetrack instead sometime later, but I was glad he encouraged me to join him. I'd never been on these beautiful roads, seen these trees and vistas, and I've lived here for nearly 13 years. I took video too, from my camera set up inside my car, and at one moment, with Ben going by me in the opposite direction with that great big grin on his face, I just let out a howl without even meaning too. I showed Ben the video afterward, and he said "Man, you were having a really good time, weren't you!" I said, "You know what? I had a great time! It was just what I needed." A beautiful day driving, incredible scenery enjoyed with friends, and all of our coveted cars singing in the wind.

I'd lost some of my spirit recently, and Ben brought it back. I guess he just brought the best out of people so they could enjoy the day. What a great guy and friend. I took some simple photos that day, of the cars parked in between driving, and the in-car video is really fun to watch. Just a great, fun, sunny driving day with buddies. Other than being with family, it doesn't get much better than that.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3pics_palomardrivingday.jpg
Views:	2169
Size:	807.8 KB
ID:	14869  
Old 06-07-2005, 01:12 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Some time later, at one of Ben and Dave Bhuta's soccer games, Li'l Dave, my 4-yr-old son (who'd really taken to Ben) went up to him and hugged his leg at the end of the game. Ben picked him up and hugged him tight, getting a little kiss on the cheek as a reward. He seemed to really love children. What a sight. Two of my favorite, smiling guys.

After the game, Ben wanted us to meet him up at Symbolic Motors' sports car restoration facility, because they were going to have an open house, showing their private shop where lots of terrific race cars and sports cars could be admired. When Ben pulled up in his stunning car and stepped out, little Dave wanted a picture with him and his car. Ben picked him up for a hug, and now I had a wonderful picture of the two of them. I gave it to Charlotte a couple of days ago. It's how I remember Ben…genuine, smiling, affectionate, lighting up the world around him.

Ben was a Shining Light in this World

Living in the moment, Ben had a happy life.

He loved and brought out love, joy and humor from others like no other man I've ever met.

Each moment we had with Ben was special and memorable, however short.

He was a shining light that brought warmth to our hearts and he brought us together.

And that light continues to shine upon us today and forever.

I miss you Ben.

Until we meet again where there's a sunny sky, you'll be in our hearts.

Your Friend,

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	benandlittledave900pix.jpg
Views:	2107
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	14870  
Old 06-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned for Life
Cole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for sharing, Dave.

Old 06-07-2005, 02:11 PM
MGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to allMGoBlue is a name known to all
No kidding, thank you very much...makes it that much more personal.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Ryan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to all
Thanks Dave!!! great storys and pictures

That was a fantastic meet over there at symbolic, I like how Ben was fasionably late to that one...made a good entrance. I even remember how the gravel was stuck on those fat tires....

Thats the day I handed him the 3 CDs of my car show media...does anyone here know if he gave the 2 copys to anyone?

Old 06-07-2005, 04:16 PM
dzy
dzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for sharing Dave. Your stories really brought tears to my eyes. You're the kind of person I'd be honored to call my friend. So compassinate, so caring and so funny. I hope you recuperate from this tragedy.

/Dave (the third on in this thread )

Old 06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
it's that smile i never forget.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:12 PM
GT3Scott will become famous soon enoughGT3Scott will become famous soon enough
That's great Dave. I always wished Ben & I lived closer so we could spend more time together.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Dave those are wonderful memories

Old 06-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
Awesome! Just awesome!

Old 06-07-2005, 06:28 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
What a great picture, thanks for sharing!

Old 06-07-2005, 07:27 PM
LapisCayenne is on a distinguished road
Very nice. Thanks for sharing

Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
You're welcome guys, of course.

If some people didn't have the pleasure of meeting him, at least relating a little story could help give you an idea what it would've been like.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:19 AM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
Dave,

Thanks for sharing the wonderful stories and pictures. He was a very special guy. I wished had the opportunity to know him personally. I'm thankful for the time I was able to spend with him at breakfast just a few weeks ago.

Best,
Rob

Old 06-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Boobie Stars
jamy85 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for sharing Dave. I felt the chills even though I have only talked to Ben on 6speed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remember Ben...