6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

PDK shock/thud in 7th gear when lifting off throttle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:32 AM
andbos is on a distinguished road
PDK shock/thud in 7th gear when lifting off throttle

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to Porsche.. I took a test drive of a used 2010 911 Turbo (CPO) with PDK. the car shifts smoothly in normal and sport mode but when its on 7th gear (on highway), i noticed when i slightly lift off the throttle, it would make a shock/thud noise and you can feel the car shocks(lurch?) forward. its as if it was a split second disengaging and reengaging the clutch in a rough way.. is this normal?

I had driven a 2014 Cayman S with PDK before and it does not do such things..

Old 09-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by andbos
Hi, I am new to this forum and new to Porsche.. I took a test drive of a used 2010 911 Turbo (CPO) with PDK. the car shifts smoothly in normal and sport mode but when its on 7th gear (on highway), i noticed when i slightly lift off the throttle, it would make a shock/thud noise and you can feel the car shocks(lurch?) forward. its as if it was a split second disengaging and reengaging the clutch in a rough way.. is this normal?

I had driven a 2014 Cayman S with PDK before and it does not do such things..
It may be normal for the 997 Turbo.

I've not driven a 997 Turbo and I've only spent a few minutes -- not enough time really -- in a PDK equipped car, but I can tell you that under some conditions my 996 Turbo 6-speed can manifest a bit of a lurch or a jerk in the higher gears, mainly 5th and 6th.

The behavior is only really noticeable because it is so out of character for the car.

What I have attributed this to is the boost coming on or going away under fairly light and partial throttle operation. I have had the boost "gage" visible on the dash and have observed boost on and boost off concurrent with the car's behavior so I'm pretty confident that is what is going on.

Just to be sure though you need to test drive another (or several if you can swing it) 997 Turbo and see if this behavior appears in these cars too.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 PM
andbos is on a distinguished road
Hi Macster,
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. It is as you said out of character. I will see if I can test another.. Thanks