Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2015 Vantage V12S -2nd gear issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:46 AM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
2015 Vantage V12S -2nd gear issues

I have had my Tungsten Silver Vantage V12S for a month now and am very impressed. I have had other high end sport cars in the past (my daily driver is a Porsche Panamera Turbo S) but this thing is more fun then any. I enjoy the 'rawness' of the V12 and it seems as tight, if not tighter then any 911 I have had. My issue is in 2nd gear, when I am hitting it hard, the car seems to jerk quite a bit. This stops after a couple seconds or if I shift up. Does anyone know what is going on with it or should I take it in to the dealer to have them check it out? Thank you for any input.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:09 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Hitting it hard as in bouncing off the red line?

The effects of engine braking gets more pronounced at the red line, I believe if you take it all the way near the red line and let off the gas (mimicking the effect of bouncing off the redline since fuel is cut), you should get the same jerk

Old 09-05-2015, 04:31 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
When you say "hitting it hard", I assume you mean accelerator to the floor? What is "jerk quite a bit"? Is the acceleration interrupted? Does it feel like the engine misfiring or the actual drivetrain/transmission 'jerking'? Sport mode on or off, or either? Any particular revs that it happens at?

Old 09-05-2015, 05:33 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Seeing any traction control lights on the dash?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:09 AM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the responses and to answer the questions :
When the car is jerking it is not at redline yet. When I say "hitting it hard" I mean pushing the accelerater down. Acceleration isn't interrupted or the engine misfiring. It feels maybe more like the transmission 'jerking'. Sport mode is on and it probably happens at around 4000 RPM. I do not see any traction control lights on.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
You in "D" or paddle shifting?

Old 09-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
You in "D" or paddle shifting?
I am in sport mode with paddles.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:24 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Sounds abnormal. I would get it checked out.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:12 PM
AM v12v is on a distinguished road
Is it every time?

Are you having traction issues on a poor surface and the car is jumping about?

Old 09-06-2015, 03:26 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You maybe doing it and not realizing that your foot is moving along with the movement of the car. The V12 Vantage S has a very touchy throttle and is wicked to respond with minimal input. Add that to a few bumps in the road and before you know it it feels like it's not running correctly. It's something that you need to work on. Take it by the dealer for a quick code check.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Well, it has now happened to me, albeit just once. At least, based on georgemaser's description, I think it is the same problem. Under hard acceleration, in sport mode, I pulled for an upshift (IIRC, third gear to fourth) just below redline, and there was a repeated torque interruption, at a rate of maybe once or twice per second, giving a pronounced jerk through the entire drivetrain. I have the impression this was a transmission issue (gear not engaging for some reason?) but I couldn't swear 100% that it was not a rapid engine misfire (don't think so, though). It was definitely not DSC related; DSC is much quicker and smoother when it intervenes, and the conditions were such that I should have been well below the limits of adhesion. Nor do I think it was the rev limiter as I was not at redline and in my experience rev limiters are also smoother and not felt so violently through the whole drivetrain. The 'jerking' stopped when I backed out of the throttle.

Coincidentally I'm getting an annual service shortly and if there are any meaningful updates I will post again.

Last edited by spinecho; 10-08-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:57 AM
Update: car back from service. Scan for faults showed all cylinders on one side of the engine (#7-12) had misfired, but misfire could not be replicated in real time. Apparently this has been seen on post Bosch ECU Vanquish as well, and has been 'cured' by a software update. So mine was flashed with the latest update. We shall see how it goes...

Old 10-16-2015, 10:11 PM
Thank you for the input. I took it in and they didn't find anything. The dealer said the throttle is just touchy and it my foot coming off the gas peddle when I hit bumps. He said he took out another one for a test drive and it had the same issue. I am not sure if they checked to see if I needed a software update. I will call and ask about that.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by georgemaser
The dealer said the throttle is just touchy and it my foot coming off the gas peddle when I hit bumps. He said he took out another one for a test drive and it had the same issue.
How did you react to this explanation? Myself, I'd find another dealer.