power steering plus necessary?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:44 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
power steering plus necessary?

I didn't get this low cost option coz I wasn't sure how it would work with new electric steering.

Any thoughts on how the two might play together? Is it a good option with the electric the way it was with hydraulic steering?

Old 11-11-2011, 10:07 AM
ArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the rough
I had the power steering plus removed from my order when I learned that it activates at 31mph or slower. That was too much on-time for me...I could have considered it if it activated <10mph, for example.

BTW you should stop looking for things to agonize over, on your locked order.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:00 PM
arena is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ahumphrey
BTW you should stop looking for things to agonize over, on your locked order.

lol!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aamersa
I didn't get this low cost option coz I wasn't sure how it would work with new electric steering.

Any thoughts on how the two might play together? Is it a good option with the electric the way it was with hydraulic steering?

from another review:

"Porsche offers an optional low-speed assist treatment that lightens steering even further at very low (parking lot) speeds, to make maneuvering easier. While I didn't see any reason to opt for the extra boost, I can see how some people might prefer it."

or in other words: it is definitely NOT a must have option!

Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 PM
03LX470 is on a distinguished road
Non Power Steering Plus 991 vs 997

Is the standard steering (effort required to turn) lighter on the 991 than it was on the 997?

I have only test driven the 991 with Power Steering Plus so I don't know.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:59 PM
tomshop will become famous soon enough
I have it but would pass next time.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I've driven both w/wo psp and psp really felt like driving my wife's Lexus at lower speed to make things worse, it felt very artificial....what a turn off it was ! And then as you catch speed, it abruptly gets heavier which is weird. I definitely WILL NOT go for psp although I know that 4S I've ordered is more likely to have harder steering than 2S due to power on front wheels as well

Old 09-15-2012, 04:07 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's rather nice if I'm driving through town with a latte in left hand and turning wheel / shifting gears in right (I know, I know).

I haven't felt it was working against me after the latte and I'm working the mountain roads half an hour outside town, though.

Last edited by nicoli; 09-15-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:34 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aamersa

Only if you are a woman or very weak.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
I find it very seamless and can not feel when it kicks in. Steering at speed is very good; maybe even better than before and the power plus turns the car into a runabout around town.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:36 PM
dr.skp.ortho will become famous soon enough
Helps with parking in tight spots. I have it and it def helps low
Speed manouveurability and there is no difference in steering feel at speed.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:18 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fester
I've driven both w/wo psp and psp really felt like driving my wife's Lexus at lower speed to make things worse, it felt very artificial....what a turn off it was ! And then as you catch speed, it abruptly gets heavier which is weird. I definitely WILL NOT go for psp although I know that 4S I've ordered is more likely to have harder steering than 2S due to power on front wheels as well
That's the way I saw it also. I believe the base steering is very similar to the 997.

ChuckJ

Old 09-16-2012, 07:17 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
steering is just fine without it.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Pass on it.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 AM
nova996 is on a distinguished road
I think you have to drive the car yourself with and without it. Personally, it really bugs me and I wouldn't get a 991 with that feature. (I don't like the similar feature in the Panamera either)

Since it is electric, I wonder if Porsche could offer and on/off switch for those times you really do have a coffee in hand or something.

Anyway, it is definitely personal opinion I think whether it feels OK to you as you drive off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: power steering plus necessary?