"Lost soul", or progress dislike?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
"Lost soul", or progress dislike?

I enjoy hearing pluses and minuses, but it seems to me like much of the 991 dislike:ing posted is not just constructive criticism, but also oftentimes coupled with condescending views towards most things new or change. As someone mentioned, it is a fine line Porsche has to walk with the 911. Personally I think the 991 is a good job at balancing 911:ness with progress needed to stay relevant.

Times march on and technical progress brings change. I think it is pretty clear that if Porsche would still be producing SC's or 993s, or even 997s, forever, there ultimately would be no more Porsche (or at least not any more sports cars from the brand).

Good news is so many Porsches are still on the road, so we can all enjoy several generations. I for one have had the privilege of driving a 924, a 944, an SC, a Cayman, a 997.1 GT3, and was the proud owner of a 997.1 T4. Enjoyed them all for different reasons.

I am very excited to have a 991S incoming. Do I think some things could be different/better to me on the 991 -- sure, but overall I think it is an amazing car and it holds plenty of excitement.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Damn right! If Porsche sits still doing nothing, the competition surely won't be. The fact they continue to deliver the goods is astonishing. Who would ever have thought they could have improved on 997....altho i recall saying that to myself when i had a 996 and.. 993 before that etc.

Like any new model there is always going to be folks that have blown their wad or can't change up without inflicting pain, so the moans and groans go with the territory of any model change. Oh, sorry let me retract that. I forgot everyone is $$ooo loaded . Anyway, to say the car is boring and not challenging is being plain silly. It drives better than before yet still stirs all the emotions in the process. And to say it has no soul...give me a break

I guess it could be fairly said PDK has made things too easy as it does remove the need for the driver from becoming involved in the physically action of changing gears... I guess in a similar way of removing the need to handle a steering wheel....ok maybe going a bit far there.....but you know what i mean. But overall the new car is sensational and relegates the 997.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
At first, I didn't want to post...but I think I should since I am one of the more vocal naysayers.

For me, I just don't like the progress. I love the looks of the 991s and the exhaust. I am absolutely smitten and truly believe that it trumps the 997 in that respect. I actually like that they made the 991 less tail happy, more balanced, and sure footed in corners. I am even okay with the softer ride and less road noise. However, what I don't like is the electronic steering or the lack of the low end torque. I feel as if professional car reviewers are starting to be more blunt and honest with their true feelings and opinions about the electronic steering system. Harris just recently delved further about this new direction. For me personally, the steering system is just underwhelming for me and a huge disappointment. I am glad that others don't have such a big problem with it, and I wish I could just swallow that pill. I am in the market for a 991s, but I am sitting on my hands because I need to sort something REALLY REALLY important and life changing first.

@speed21 I am pretty sure that your money comments are not directed at me, but I just want to clarify that not all "naysayers" don't have the money. I agree that some naysayers don't have the money, which became very apparent to me when I went to the 991 launch event. But, I (along with others including Chris Harris) have legitimate gripes about the electronic steering system. It frustrates me to no end that Porsche did this. And I will be the first to admit that I am probably sitting around the 25 percentile in terms of wealth here on the forums and you are probably sitting at the higher end since you can pony up about 300 USD for a car (congrats btw and I sincerely mean that ). I don't have that much buying power and am not ashamed to admit that. But the 991s does fit in my budget without me having to take out any loans or any of that funny business. The only thing that frustrates me is that stupid steering system. You have no idea. And to add injury to insult, this is all done in the name of greener emissions, which 99% of these politicians, policy makers, lobbyists, and even environmentalists who are calling the shots probably know little to nothing about carbon cycling, global climate change, where oxygen even comes from, and all that jazz. It really boils my blood.

Last edited by Inglorious; 03-21-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Inglorious
And to add injury to insult, this is all done in the name of greener emissions, which 99% of these politicians, policy makers, lobbyists, and even environmentalists who are calling the shots probably know little to nothing about carbon cycling, global climate change, where oxygen even comes from, and all that jazz. It really boils my blood.
This is the real issue. Green is a new religion that does not tolerate questioning and that politicians, on both sides of the pond, use to get themselves a new 'virginity'. IMHO hybrid cars are just an overly complicated waste of time and resources and are not a long term solution, but electric steering is part of the package and you can be sure that there will be a 991 hybrid down the road. As long as Green ****'s have not banned any other type of car, it will never be on my shopping list.

Back to the electrical steering, yes I agree that you do not have the same feedback from the 991's (my previous car was a Cayman R and was better from that perspective) but there are many other benefits to the 991 that outweigh the steering issue.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
inglorious you are correct. I'm not directing that comment at you nor every solitary Porsche owner.. ..but it is a real point that many avoid in a bid to retain dignity or justification why not to change cars when a newer more improved version is available. And I also have my own financial limitations so I'm not immune to the $ regardless of the substantially higher price I've paid for my car vs usa. Anyway i don't really want to labor the $ point further so if others want to hammer away at it then please just refer to my previous posts on that topic, as I'm done with that.

I am however more curious to what spec 991 you drove that left you cold on the new steering (and car) i.e. S, pdk, manual etc? I'm intrigued to what i could be missing out on here. As hard as i tried to fault it i couldn't help but feel the steering was an improvement. It actually felt pretty much exactly how it is now except that tiny bit more grown up in the areas that really counted...such as under fast hard cornering on irregular surfaces.... giving a more planted and surefooted feel. I felt that trait was a distinct improvement, and certainly not any step backward. Plus there is much more to a car than just a rack, pinion and steering wheel anyway. The improved handling, looks, ride, less tire roar, seating, pedals, amongst other things defined the 991 as a significantly improved package over the outgoing model and, any other previous model for that matter. Now whether i can or can't afford a new turbo when the car appears is a separate issue....and I'm not going to have a lend of myself if that time comes around and i can't justify the coin, but i doesn't detract from the facts that the new car is better everywhere. As i said to manifold, I think you need to go back and re appraise the car in the right environment. I can't be getting it this wrong after owning so many Porsches now....well i hope not anyway.

PS. Is it possible you drove a 991 with the lighter power assisted steering with PDK, and in bumper to bumper traffic? Thats all i can put it down to.

Last edited by speed21; 03-21-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
10 years from now people will complain how the new 9xx has lost it's soul, whatever that means, and is not engaging, whatever that means. Then they'll point to the 991 as the standard bearer. Everytime Porsche brings out a new model, the previous generation was always better.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
I, for one, think the new steering is an improvement. It is more "solid-feeling" for want of a better description.

I have had 16 Porsches starting with a 993. This is the tightest, most predictable handling one thus far.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onetime
10 years from now people will complain how the new 9xx has lost it's soul, whatever that means, and is not engaging, whatever that means. Then they'll point to the 991 as the standard bearer. Everytime porsche brings out a new model, the previous generation was always better.
+1..

Old 03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Onetime
10 years from now people will complain how the new 9xx has lost it's soul, whatever that means, and is not engaging, whatever that means. Then they'll point to the 991 as the standard bearer. Everytime Porsche brings out a new model, the previous generation was always better.
Yep, that's what will happen.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sapster
Yep, that's what will happen.
I understand the feelings. I have 2006 Mustang and it was cool to have a car in the then current run. It is in all the mags and parts are coming in for it all the time. All of the shows use that model and you feel like you are part of the in crowd. And then the 2010's came out and my car's run was no longer in the spotlight. All of the articles which sung it superiority over its parents we're now talking about how the new car was better than mine. When I went to car shows, I did not see my car anymore. It is natural to feel let down and defensive.

But I like my 2006. The same retro look that made me pull the trigger on my '06, makes me keep it and drive it with pride. I know the new model is improved. Hell, my car came with a 306 bhp V8 and the current 6 is 305 hp and for nearly the same cost as my V8, you now get a 5.0 with over 400 bhp. I won't change. On the other hand I sold a 2010 997.2 S Cab for a 991 coupe that I hope to get next week. I loved the 997. But I liked the total package of this car more - a very personal decision and no one would fault me, or anyone else for keeping the 997.

Love what you have, get what you want, and respect the decisions of others who do the the same.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Simply TOOOOOOOOO Big! If you like it good....I don't! I can't make myself like something that I don't......simple.

I'm very disappointed in this model.

Tom

Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i have an original review from the first of the 993 - road & Track i think - i am going to just pul it out again and read it in the context of this good thread.

i am interested as to what degree it will also muse on such lost elements!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cpa4S
i have an original review from the first of the 993 - road & Track i think - i am going to just pul it out again and read it in the context of this good thread.

i am interested as to what degree it will also muse on such lost elements!
Please scan and post! I was looking for 996 reviews where people would have said that with its water cooled engine and new chassis the new 996 was not a 911 and a real sportscar anymore... Unfortunately I could not find original material from the 90's...

Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Oh, very interesting please do share the highlights. It is a given that any new iteration will draw criticism, but I suspect that the perceived degree of resistance from "purists" at each generation is a bit of a journalistic clichee, too?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by tommyv
Simply TOOOOOOOOO Big! If you like it good....I don't! I can't make myself like something that I don't......simple.

I'm very disappointed in this model.

Tom
The two extra inches put you over the top eh?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Lost soul", or progress dislike?