991 rear seats and kids

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:46 PM
jewels2b is on a distinguished road
Hi, Sorry to reopen an old thread. Hubby just came home with a 2013 991. We have a 4.5 yr old and 7.5 year old. Looking for what seats will fit them. I probably can get any booster (that fits... maybe the harmony highback or the cosco highback) for the 4.5 yr old. But the 7 yr old.. she is tall and with the bubble bum (which we already have) and the cosco no back booster, her head is above the seat back. What would you use for her??? By law she needs a car seat so the seat belt fits her properly but there is no support for her head. This will only be a once a month trip in the car but she has to be safe.

If I were trying to decide between the harmony highback or the cosco highback for the 4.5 year old, which one would you get? She's good about riding in a booster. We have her 5pt harnessed still in my car but she's been booster training.

Thant you in advance.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:51 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
Originally Posted by jewels2b
Hi, Sorry to reopen an old thread. Hubby just came home with a 2013 991. We have a 4.5 yr old and 7.5 year old. Looking for what seats will fit them. I probably can get any booster (that fits... maybe the harmony highback or the cosco highback) for the 4.5 yr old. But the 7 yr old.. she is tall and with the bubble bum (which we already have) and the cosco no back booster, her head is above the seat back. What would you use for her??? By law she needs a car seat so the seat belt fits her properly but there is no support for her head. This will only be a once a month trip in the car but she has to be safe.

If I were trying to decide between the harmony highback or the cosco highback for the 4.5 year old, which one would you get? She's good about riding in a booster. We have her 5pt harnessed still in my car but she's been booster training.

Thant you in advance.
i think most booster seat will be fine. It's the car seat that makes life difficult. Some one here uses the harmony high back and said it was fine. just keep the receipt!

Old 12-14-2014, 10:02 PM
SilverSled is on a distinguished road
Very respectfully I would get the Porsche Seats. They fit, are designed for the car (I have it) and will provide the head support you're looking for. The issue you're identifying (head over the seat) is a big deal and there aren't any good solutions. The Porsche Seat is around $265. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2014, 11:30 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Perspective

Apologies if these remarks sound insensitive, but reading "7.5 yo" and "once in a month trip" and "she has to be safe", I cannot help but asking how you define "safe"?

Legally, in CA at least, she needs an approved child restraint system while under the age of 8, so roughly for another 6 months. At that point the state's position is that whatever seat and restraint system is allowed to be on the road is "safe".

As I've pointed out earlier, no conclusive studies as to whether support in excess of what the car comes with do exist, although research is underway with respect to side impact protection (for under-4yo kids) regulation. However, the benefits appear to be marginal.

As parents, we want our kids to be as safe as possible, of course. But assessing risk is often difficult and it is quite easy to slip into paranoia when it comes to safety. The important question I'd ask myself here is
  1. What is the base risk of my child dying/getting seriously injured while in the car?
  2. What is the base risk of my child dying/getting seriously injured while not in the car?
  3. What can I do to improve (1) and at what cost?
  4. And finally, is this the best use of my time/energy?

I have no idea what (1) is, by miles traveled or trips taken. But your kids being in the car only "once a month" or so could mitigate it if (and only if) your other car is "safer".

I know for a fact, however, that (2) is pretty considerable. For instance, how many households have unsecured firearms? There are a LOT of guns in the US, and it's pretty safe to assume that a good chunk of them are not properly secured. Do you know who of your kid's classmates' parents are in that group? Yet, I assume you are probably happy to let your kids go on playdates there without spending a fraction of the thoughts you spend on child seats in a 991 on the very tangible risk associated with unsecured guns. Assuming this is a real risk, keeping your kids in the 991 actually helps lower overall risk.

(I am not trying to start a gun debate here. This is just an example of a pretty typical blind spot that we all share, culturally.)

As for (3), ask yourself how much you'll be able to lower (1) by optimizing the restraint system. 5%? 10%? If it's that low, then the already ultra-low base rate of (1) very likely won't make it worth the effort. In fact, and this brings me to (4), thinking about safety in other areas (blind spots!) is likely to have a much more pronounced effect.

I am just pointing this out because we all have been there at some point or another and if you are honest, you'll have to admit at some point that you are just rationalizing a prejudice (such as "a 991 is less safe than other cars").

Bottom line in my opinion is to make sure that the car's restraint system is properly placed and whatever seat you use is properly used. That's about 99% of what you can do. BTW, another HUGE blind spot: almost none of the moms offering help with rides to/from school field trips etc. have any clue of how to properly install a car seat. At least from my anecdotal experience. It's really ridiculous.

Anyway. I think you are overthinking this

Originally Posted by jewels2b

Thant you in advance.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:15 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Finding a booster that fits is a pain. This issue is the back of the seat is very narrow. Most booster seats I have tried are too wide and it causes the seat to not go all the back. This means the booster could slide out from under them. Not good.

I have a Harmony and it fits perfect. Just order another and thought they were the same. They aren’t and it does not fit.

Let me know if you find one that works.

Marc

Old 02-16-2015, 11:21 AM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough
Clek oobr

for anyone interested, a CLEK OOBR does fir well, the base is too wide and the back does not sit flush with the back of the rear seat, so I will be looking at the harmony high back/ cosco high back and also a cosco booster or DIONO booster for my 6 year old.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Vise is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by akbjr
for anyone interested, a CLEK OOBR does fir well, the base is too wide and the back does not sit flush with the back of the rear seat, so I will be looking at the harmony high back/ cosco high back and also a cosco booster or DIONO booster for my 6 year old.
Assume you meant to say the Clek Oobr doesn't fit? I have one in my current car and it works great. Was planning to remove the back and install the base only (attached to the Isofix mounts) but you're saying it is too wide?

Worst case I'll go grab a new booster so no biggie... my daughter turns 8 in less than a month anyways so figure she'll be good in the back seats without a booster soon but we'll see.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Yes sorry. Clek oobr does not fit. Too wide.

Thanks for correction

Old 02-17-2015, 04:29 AM
disden will become famous soon enough
This Cosco seat fits perfectly as others have stated. I bought them years ago based upon recommendations made here, couldn't be happier! I'm not sure why a 7.5 yo would need more then a base? The 4.5 yo is on the fence I would think. I never found a high back seat that actually fit, just use the bases. Seat belts fit fine.

http://m.target.com/p/cosco-no-back-...d/-/A-13999428

Last edited by disden; 02-17-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:18 AM
SilverSled is on a distinguished road
The issue with not having a back is as the child gets older their head and necks will usually extend beyond the top of rear seat.

I have the Porsche Junior Seat, my daughter is 7.5 and tall for her age, but she's very uncomfortable in the seat. I've resigned myself to the fact that I just need to make sure that we have a 911 when she turns 12 so she can sit in the front with me!

Last edited by SilverSled; 02-17-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:33 PM
rubenhak is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Everybody,

Reopening the thread after a while. Few years passed and new car seat models should have arrived. Just wanted to check if anyone had experience with Clek Oobr booster and Clek Foonf child seats? Asking for 991 Convertible.

Thanks,
Ruben

Old 03-18-2017, 05:41 PM
I had the clek oobr in the back of a coupe and the latches of the car seat which are fixed do not align with the Porsche latches. So I don't think that will work.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 PM
rubenhak is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by akbjr
I had the clek oobr in the back of a coupe and the latches of the car seat which are fixed do not align with the Porsche latches. So I don't think that will work.
May I ask if you had removed the rear seats? If not, do you think removing the seats would help the latches to align?