996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Weird top operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:45 AM
saline is infamous around these parts
Weird top operation

When I bought my 2004 TT cab last year, it had a one-touch operating top. Everyone tells me that it is an aftermarket module that allows it to operate while the car is in motion. Recently, the top only works when in motion...that's right only when in motion. If I'm stopped it won't work, and if the top is in transit while I'm moving and I stop the car it will stop. The problem is that eveyone points to the module being a SmartTop module that gets plugged into the outboard port of the module behind the rear seat on the driver's side. No one knows of anther module. However, there is nothing piggy-backed into that location like the manufacture pictures. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where else to look? Was there another manufacturer of a module that did a similar function that may have been mounted someplace else?

Old 08-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Check the fusebox. There was a hack that worked on the Boxster that bypassed something around one of the relays.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-d...le-moving.html

Good Luck!

Old 08-19-2015, 11:13 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Just a point of clarification, the 2004 top will operate while you're moving without any SmartTop module. The SmartTop adds the one touch and the ability to raise and lower the rear windows.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:22 AM
I saw that the Boxter solution that Smart top had the module in the fuse box. I saw that in the Pelican Parts site - picture below. My panel looks different. This one looks like it bridges to adjacent locations, and mine has a single black piece, and I'm not even sure that is a similar part. There is another box that bridges two locations like this one, but it's got a "996" part number on it, so I don't think it's aftermarket. Any ideas?

I asked Pelican if they had the fuse box solution for the 996 that the boxter had, and I completely confused them. They sent me the info for the piggy-back solution.

Does anyone know if this black relay in my 2004 996 is the relay that someone might have modified? I don't want to go and buy a new relay only to find out that is not the unit that was altered on my car.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
There were two inline modules that Mods4Cars made, the SmartTop and the RemoteTop. One gets installed in the rear deck, the other under the driver seat.

They compliment one another, but do not require the other be there. I'd suggest confirming that neither are installed prior to ordering anything new.

Note: Mods4Cars has updated their product to combine both modules into one, but that's a more recent development.

-V

Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Just a point of clarification, the 2004 top will operate while you're moving without any SmartTop module. The SmartTop adds the one touch and the ability to raise and lower the rear windows.
That's right, but mine required me to hold the button during transit, and it worked while still or moving. Now I can only operate the top while moving. At a stop everything stops.