Base 3.4 Engine Vibration at 3300 RPM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Turbotip will become famous soon enoughTurbotip will become famous soon enough
Base 3.4 Engine Vibration at 3300 RPM

Anyone else notice engine vibration/buzzing noise right around 3300 RPM that sounds like valve clatter? It seems to go away by 3600 RPM.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:22 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Yes and no, heard/felt that too, but at lower revs, below 3k

Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 AM
SLVR_BULLIT is on a distinguished road
yes. anywhere between 3100 and 3300. its more like a harmonic resonance with the spoiler causing the sound.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:51 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Do you have the SC mounts?

ChuckJ

Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 PM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by SLVR_BULLIT
yes. anywhere between 3100 and 3300. its more like a harmonic resonance with the spoiler causing the sound.
I'd say that sounds exactly like what I experience - it sounds like something resonates in back at just over 3K.

Edit: ChuckJ - I don't have the SC mounts.

Last edited by mrstep; 07-16-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Extra info.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
That's so strange. I have that resonance, but at around only 2500-2700 rpm (not exactly sure, definitely below 3000). I do have the DEM's though.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:23 AM
Founder is on a distinguished road
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but wanted to know if anyone has resolved this issue. I'm getting it too, at 3200 rpm at light throttle in every gear. I haven't started isolating it yet but I will start with the spoiler. Base Carrera here as well.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:11 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Founder
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but wanted to know if anyone has resolved this issue. I'm getting it too, at 3200 rpm at light throttle in every gear. I haven't started isolating it yet but I will start with the spoiler. Base Carrera here as well.
I have had this vibration sound starting at 1700 miles. I don't believe it's the spoiler. I have tightened everything that is possible to be tightened. Love to find out what is causing it too. Frank C.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:17 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Turbotip
Anyone else notice engine vibration/buzzing noise right around 3300 RPM that sounds like valve clatter? It seems to go away by 3600 RPM.
It seems to be a common problem. The car does not throw any faults. I put it on a lift and tightened everything, no change. I originally thought it was an exhaust system vibration, but nothing could be identified.

Frank C.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:02 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I don't have any vibrations and I have a 3.4 with SC. Perhaps we should eliminate mounts as the cause. Elasimeric mounts are difficult to build with broad spectrum capabilities and further, their dampening capabilities degrade over time. I can't remember, how many of you base Carrera folks (other than mrstep who has identified that he does not have SC) have standard, non-hydraulic mounts?

ChuckJ

Old 10-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I don't have any vibrations and I have a 3.4 with SC. Perhaps we should eliminate mounts as the cause. Elasimeric mounts are difficult to build with broad spectrum capabilities and further, their dampening capabilities degrade over time. I can't remember, how many of you base Carrera folks (other than mrstep who has identified that he does not have SC) have standard, non-hydraulic mounts? ChuckJ
I have SC and I have the vibration.

Frank C.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:49 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
I was just about to start a thread on this!

So glad to come across one already started and know that I'm not alone. The noise is just as everyone describes it. I get it predominately in 2nd and 3rd gear around 3,100 to 3,300 RPM. I have a 2014 base C2 with about 6,000 miles on it. I too thought it was something vibrating in and around the exhaust area, a resonant frequency of some kind. It's quite repeatable, I was going to have the dealer look at it at my first oil change.

Please if anyone figures out what it is or a fix for it let us know.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Founder is on a distinguished road
Found a thread on Rennlist about this same issue on a Boxster, lots of different opinions but a majority seem to think it's related to the exhaust. Also searched on machine resonance in general and it's a very common occurrence in all kinds of machines/engines, and the fix is either to change the mass of the resonating element, add a mass/spring damper to the system, or operate the system at a different speed (not an option for car engines obviously).

I haven't checked if the vibration occurs while in neutral, but if it does I'm going to start by having someone rev to 3200 at standstill and then I'll try to identify the resonating element, I imagine this should be possible just by touching various parts.

If anyone in the Bay Area wants to work on this together let me know!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by Founder
Found a thread on Rennlist about this same issue on a Boxster, lots of different opinions but a majority seem to think it's related to the exhaust. Also searched on machine resonance in general and it's a very common occurrence in all kinds of machines/engines, and the fix is either to change the mass of the resonating element, add a mass/spring damper to the system, or operate the system at a different speed (not an option for car engines obviously). I haven't checked if the vibration occurs while in neutral, but if it does I'm going to start by having someone rev to 3200 at standstill and then I'll try to identify the resonating element, I imagine this should be possible just by touching various parts. If anyone in the Bay Area wants to work on this together let me know!
I have been attempting to diagnose this since August. Here's what I have learned:
1) it does not occur in neutral
2) It occurs in normal, Sport & Sport +
3) It does not occur as the car is slowed in gear through 3200-3300 RPM. It occurs under acceleration load only.
4. It occurs with the spoiler extended or retracted.

I doubt that it is anything due to the exhaust, as I have an AWE performance exhaust installed. The vibration was present both before & after the installation. I have had my dealer witness the vibration. As you know it is very easy to reproduce. I got the old "operating as intended line". I am starting to lean towards some sort of cam- valve issue. If it was a harmonic resonance all 3.4's would have the vibration as its a design production issue.

Frank C.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:45 AM
bboatman has a spectacular aura aboutbboatman has a spectacular aura about
So for me it happens at 1700rpms and goes away before 1900 in every gear. I'm certain mine is from exhaust, I noticed it after I changed it, within the first mile of driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Base 3.4 Engine Vibration at 3300 RPM