Michelin Pilot Super Sport Best Front Tire Size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Turbotip will become famous soon enoughTurbotip will become famous soon enough
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Best Front Tire Size

I am about ready to replace all 4 tires (Base C2 with 20" Carrera S wheels) and want to get some feedback from those of you who changed from the Pirelli P zeros to the Michelin PSS's.

I read a couple of posts where some people thought the stock 245/35/20 size may appear too small in the wheel well because of the different sidewall profile. Does the 255/35/20 size fit without any rubbing? Any noticeable handling change? My plan was to go up from 295 to 305 in the rear and from 245 to 255 in front. I do not want to sacrifice any performance just for a visual improvement. Any comments or pictures from those with Michelins on Carrera S wheels would be great!

Old 04-23-2014, 06:48 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
One thing about the Pilot sports are they don't have the sidewall protection. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Are the Pilot Super Sports N-Spec? If not, do you care?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 PM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by frank69m
One thing about the Pilot sports are they don't have the sidewall protection. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
They do have the raised bead for protection. Perhaps not quite as much as the oem's in front, but much more so in the rear.

Spyder

Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hawc
No. No

Great tires. Cheaper longer wearing less jarring. Better handling.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 PM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
I mentioned the use of non n spec tires on the 918 on another thread really was surprised to see them on that car. I could be wrong . This pilot choice is one I will face shortly.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
That's probably a prototype. If PSS aren't N, nothing wrong with going for PS2s...they've been N-1 etc rated since a long time as oem tires on 997 turbos etc...

Old 04-24-2014, 02:23 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
If you have 9" front wheels, do the 255 fronts.
Its crazy to put 245 on a 9" wheel.

As for the handling change, even with a 305 in back, the car oversteers.
A 245 front will dial that back a notch.
My guess is thats why Porsche stuck to 245 front, when 265 could fit.

I had thoughts of going 265 front, but I wont do it now, until I find a 315 rear.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 AM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
I'd love some clarity, I thought the N-Spec rating was rather important to have if you want your Porsche to feel and handle the way Porsche intended. Especially with something as important as tires I'd be nervous about ignoring the Porsche recommend. Am I missing something here? Is N-Spec not important?

Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 AM
I think part of the problem is that porsche has not had time to test the michelin tire. My service advisor told me to be patient and this summer the michelin tire would be approved.Has anyone else heard this or is it just hearsay.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hawc
Have run 2 991's on PSS since the launch of the car now and NO issue even if not N-rated. Lots of miles on the road and the track. They compare very favorably to the P-Zero's (road feel, noise, overall grip/performance).

Many different opinions about N-rated tires. Can not say for other brands, but the Michelin PSS are just fine even if not N-rated.

This is a no-brainer for all of those who have taken the step so far.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
I highly doubt the N spec PSS will be any different then the one currently available.
It's not by chance IMO that you can get a 305/30/20 tire now

Old 04-24-2014, 08:58 AM
I guess the only pricey part is if let's say your car came with P-Zeros. And let's say your backs wear out before your fronts (as they do) if you wanted to switch to PSSs you'd have to replace your front tires too, so that all four tires were the same. Even if you still had a decent amount of life left on the P-Zeros. Bit of a waste of front tires.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 AM
My front Zero's look good but the backs are thin on thread do most people change the backs once then get 4 new tires the next go around? That would be my chance to change to super sports.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
My front Zero's look good but the backs are thin on thread do most people change the backs once then get 4 new tires the next go around? That would be my chance to change to super sports.
There are people around here that will claim you need to replace all your tires when you replace just one because of a unrepairable blowout (or some who feel you shouldn't even plug a tire). Or will want to shave tires to make them match. That whole thing becomes and endless argument depending on how extreme you are.. I suppose if I tracked my car or planned to ever drive at 189mph I might be more concerned as well as having any desire to maintain N rated tires.

I consider myself pretty reasonable in that if I replaced one tire and the opposing side tire was relatively new I'd just replace the one tire and not both on the same axle. And I probably wouldn't touch anything on the other axle. And I have no concerns with plugging a simple tread puncture. But then again, I just DD my car and would rarely if ever hit 100mph... (Again not opening that debate, that's just my philosophy as someone who doesn't use their car as a race car).

That said, I'd never mix tire brands or types between axles.. on any street car.. I've just had strange handling issues especially with certain road surfaces whenever I've done that kind of thing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport Best Front Tire Size