BMW M4 vs Porsche 911 Carrera | evo TRACK BATTLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:21 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
BMW M4 vs Porsche 911 Carrera | evo TRACK BATTLE

Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Really no surprise here - as has been said many times, its not just horsepower that counts. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Former Vendor
need4speedmotors has a spectacular aura aboutneed4speedmotors has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:11 PM
onapex is on a distinguished road
was there ever a doubt?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:14 PM
mdk888 is a jewel in the roughmdk888 is a jewel in the roughmdk888 is a jewel in the roughmdk888 is a jewel in the rough
Yeah! We won! lol

Old 07-30-2014, 07:23 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Where is the test vs. the "S". The other Car and Driver test showed the M4 came out ahead.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Car and Driver used a manual C2. I'm guessing that was the difference.

QUOTE=frank69m;4165411]Where is the test vs. the "S". The other Car and Driver test showed the M4 came out ahead.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Founder is on a distinguished road
"The Porsche has really nice torque, it pulls really well from low down."

YES, I totally agree! I really can't believe how many complaints about lack of torque I see on this board. I truly enjoy the way power is delivered thru the rev range in this car, and the torque above 4500 is just mental.

Yay for our ***-engined cars!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:53 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Founder
"The Porsche has really nice torque, it pulls really well from low down." YES, I totally agree! I really can't believe how many complaints about lack of torque I see on this board. I truly enjoy the way power is delivered thru the rev range in this car, and the torque above 4500 is just mental. Yay for our ***-engined cars!
+1. The power and speed can be scary fast at times. Yeah I know more horsepower=good Recently a friend/mechanic - who is a drag racer and races a 700+hp 1200 pound "car" was all over my Porsche. He marveled at the engineering, the quality of the build and parts, the styling and how it drove.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by frank69m
Where is the test vs. the "S". The other Car and Driver test showed the M4 came out ahead.
EVO's test was purely based on time around a race track.

C&D's comparison was best sports car. In their test, personal opinions and other intangibles such as value for the dollar played a part.

I subscribe to C&D (have for a long, long time) but I do question their findings frome time to time. How a car with better brakes, better steering and more balanced handling (my recollection of their findings) can be the inferior sports car... no matter the price differential... remains a mystery to me.

I own and love an E90M3 and think it's a tremendous automobile. But anyone who gets stuck in magazine racing and disregards chassis feel, balance and steering feel isn't getting the point of owning and enjoying a sports car, IMO.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:10 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
To understand the results of comparison tests in C&D you have to ignore all of the numbers, apart from the number of advertisements by brand in the issue. For supercars, it depends on the amount of time a brand is loaned to the magazine staff.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:19 PM
onapex is on a distinguished road
I would take a 991 C2 over an M4 anyday but have to disagree on the torque. You really have to rev the 3.4 to get it going. It's fun but definitely could use more torque for when you're in the wrong gear.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:45 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by onapex
I would take a 991 C2 over an M4 anyday but have to disagree on the torque. You really have to rev the 3.4 to get it going. It's fun but definitely could use more torque for when you're in the wrong gear.
Ah, that's where this forums fetish for more torque stems from !

Old 08-01-2014, 07:58 AM
paradocs98 is on a distinguished road
So I'm not nuts--after track time in both, I think the DCT transmission in my 2011 M3 was more responsive and direct/positive-feeling than the PDK in my 991S. Looks like M. Franchitti agrees. I would assume the PDK-S in the GT3 is better.
Interesting how the chassis and layout of the 991 trumps the new M4 on the track, despite a significant power deficit. I assume the Carrera S would do even better.
Despite my PDK complaints, though, the 991S is clearly the better track car.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:33 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
I wonder how mr. Franchitti would like the PDK in Sport mode instead of SportPlus ?!
It is instant and seamless in Sport Manual, yet still wonderfully aggressive. And none of the annoying lurching that feels like your car squats, unsettles the chassis almost like the clutch is dumping with throttle still at max in Sportplus.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BMW M4 vs Porsche 911 Carrera | evo TRACK BATTLE