Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Why a turbo base-model Porsche 911 doesn't make any sense

Here is a recent R&T article on the subject:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/voices/h...make-any-sense

Here is my response:

Are we talking flat-six or flat-four? Or do we just drop a 6.2 liter pushrod V8 into the trunk. I am lucky enough to own a base 991 and I think it is up to Porsche really. All I want is flat-sex Also I think the 992 you refer to is the new 911 GTS.

Last edited by naples991; 08-28-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 PM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
Agreed. While I have a 991 S, I have to agree. 1. Turbos kill the sound of the motor 2. 4 Cylinder motors are unrefined and rough. 3. A Porsche has always been about finesse, not straight line speed and a base/mt provides that.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Um, the 991's only been on sale for three years not four. Officially released in 2011 Europe, 2012 in the states.
Many of the BMWs are getting smaller engines too. It's a price of advancement and regulations.
I look at it as a challenge to the automakers to get more out of less. Instead of just taking the easier way out and making it bigger. If they need to take the turbo route, then they will.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Great great article!!!!

"I still think Porsche’s fuel-economy hysteria shows the brand’s complete misunderstanding of the market (these cars are already far more fuel efficient than customers demand)"

I personally don't want a car sounding like a Dyson and designed by James!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1161842403.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	400169  
Old 08-28-2014, 02:08 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
I could be wrong, but it seems the writer of the article doesn't really realize that it is not the consumer that demands more fuel and emissions efficiency, but laws and governments !

Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Really just a fluff article and does not appear to be deeply researched.

I'm not sure I really believe that Porsche is going to split the base/S with radically different engines. If they did I think they would probably re-align their product offerings. Differently. I think if they went turbocharged in the base/S then it would be both engines. From a product/engineering strategy it would make much more sense.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:12 AM
I tend to agree. The fact that Porsche has a product named the "911 Turbo" will have to be reckoned with though. Look at BMW, Audi and VW. They have Turbos on most of their engines now across different performance levels.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:23 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bccars
I could be wrong, but it seems the writer of the article doesn't really realize that it is not the consumer that demands more fuel and emissions efficiency, but laws and governments !
It's not all laws and governments I believe. There are quite a few ideological motivations here as well I'm sure. I'm sure some of our friends back in the Deutschland have drank the Kool Aid.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:06 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Unsere Freunde in Deutschland trinken kein Kool Aid, Sie trinken Bier ;-)

Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bccars
But to be fair, he did reference the higher sales volume SUVs.

And I've been thinking there really was not a compelling reason to make the base 3.4 and the S 3.8. They could have just de-tuned it and saved some money on development and production. Like the author said, Corvette gets about the same mileage with 6+ liters how did they think they were going to get that much better mileage with 400cc less. Seems to me like they should concentrate on the SUVs and maybe put the Turbo 4s in those.

ChuckJ

Old 08-29-2014, 11:32 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by naples991
I tend to agree. The fact that Porsche has a product named the "911 Turbo" will have to be reckoned with though. Look at BMW, Audi and VW. They have Turbos on most of their engines now across different performance levels.
My wife drives a 2014 Audi SQ5, the small SUV with the 356 HP V-6 that is supercharged, not turbo'ed. It's such a hoot to drive, the Supercharger comes in RIGHT NOW, unlike turbos which all have a little lag spooling up. I'd love to have a supercharger added on the 991S - the rush is like an old school V8.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by naples991
I tend to agree. The fact that Porsche has a product named the "911 Turbo" will have to be reckoned with though.

Macan S and Macan Turbo are both turbos.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Um, the 991's only been on sale for three years not four. Officially released in 2011 Europe, 2012 in the states.
Many of the BMWs are getting smaller engines too. It's a price of advancement and regulations.
I look at it as a challenge to the automakers to get more out of less. Instead of just taking the easier way out and making it bigger. If they need to take the turbo route, then they will.
Or they could keep everything NA to get the great sound and not destroy cars. And instead go the hybrid route to get fuel economy. Or be an actual innovator like koenigsegg and get 300 hp out of a 1L engine.

4 cyclinders and turbos are not the way to go. They are completely destroying the soul and sound of performance cars. NA and hybrid like the 918, laferrari, and p1 if they want to get fuel economy.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:01 PM
The BMW i8 is a pretty interesting car. And sounds good...

Old 08-29-2014, 03:29 PM
highspeed is on a distinguished road
Chup,

I just joined 6 speed and was going through the 991 forum. I noticed you have a 2013 Aqua Blue 991. I just ordered a 2015 Turbo and it won't be until March. I ordered the Aqua Blue Metallic color and am having difficulty finding a photo of one. Could yoiu possible send me one or yours so I can get a full view of one that color. My private email is parents75@hotmail.com. I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Carl Cangie

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why a turbo base-model Porsche 911 doesn't make any sense