driving epiphany

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:07 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
driving epiphany

I have little to comment on about our wonderful 991s. Its a joy and a privilege to own and drive. But about the driving.....

(feel free to move this post if there is a bad driving section of the forum)

I realized something profound this morning. Seriously. That is - if I were required without exception to drive at or below the speed limit on the road (I'm in the US), I would simply seek out the most efficient, comfortable and inexpensive [boring] car possible (public transport isn't really an option where I am). Driving fast is an integral part of the person I am. That part would die completely if I were driving 30 mph around town and 55-70 mph on the highway. The craft I've developed, the style and also the skills would wither away. In short, driving fast isn't merely a preference, its an essential requirement for me [Of course this commnetary isn't admissible in court since it can't be authenticated]. I just don't think other motorists understand this mentality.

If they did, perhaps they wouldn't do thinks like...park their landscaping truck (complete with a ramp that would launch me over the truck if I didn't slow down) in the road - IN THE ROAD! They figure its a 25 mph limit no biggie. Parking on a 25 mph road is equivalent to driving 25 mph through a parking lot full of stationary cars! That would go over well right?

American drivers (can't speak for the rest of the globe) need to understand and remember when pulling out of driveways, changing lanes etc.. that other vehicles can and do often drive faster than the posted limits. That the other driver is operating unlawfully is irrelevant. Its a fact of life. Being "right" isn't going to undue a collision.

Lastly, I am frequently reminded of how ignorant/selfish/self-righteous/clueless some drivers are at intersections when they see a motorcycle or sports car. I'm not claiming that faster vehicles should automatically get special priority, but if you see a 911 and hear a 911 blipping downshifts as it comes to a hard stop at an intersection and you're driving Ms. Daisy why - why -why do you pull out in front of the porsche that looks like its coming into the pits? You're only creating a problem for yourself when the 911 is antsy to pass you 15 seconds later? Same with the bikes. Their acceleration and braking abilities open options on the road that no car can dream of. Let them go already. I'm not sure how much of this behavior is done by drivers seeking to "police" the roadways, or just dim witted single minded flat people who don't think about anything that occurs beyond their dashboard while driving.

There, I'm done.

Feel free to add, or enlighten me if you disagree.

In any event safe motoring,
DRP

Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
Please don't run over our children.

TLDR review: I like to go fast and if you don't see me coming your way unexpectedly quickly, you are selfish. Also because I drive a fast car I feel I have right of way.

Last edited by Grunty; 09-10-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:02 PM
DocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to all
Along these same lines, I will take the opportunity to rant on something that happens all too often on my Texas roadways. If you need to pull out onto a 60 MPH two lane road, why do you have to pull out right in front my bright blue can't miss me sports car when NOONE is behind me for a half mile? To test my brakes? Thanks. And why do you get in the fast lane on a 4 lane highway and go 50???

I feel better now, and I am glad it's not just me with these frustrations.

I will disagree on one point, however. If I was doomed to an existence of never going faster than 30 MPH I would still do it in a 911. No boring car for me!

Old 09-10-2014, 12:08 PM
He explicitly states " Driving fast is an integral part of the person I am. That part would die completely if I were driving 30 mph around town "

That reads to me like doing 40+ in 25 mph zone. No argument on highway driving, within reason, assuming clear roadways etc.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:43 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
530 yesterday morning I left my home in the beautiful exburbs of Philadelphia. We're talking quiet deserted country roads. It was dark and the engine was cold. I traveled slowly (25 to 30 to heat up the engine) just over one mile (engine still cold) and while on a short hill a huge pick up started tailgating...two feet behind me would be a generous estimate. I pulled over to the right after the stop sign, put my blinkers on and allowed the man in the truck to pass. He wasn't satisfied. He passed me and then stopped in the middle of the two lane country road and put on his blinkers to block my way. I stopped three or four car lengths behind and waited. he didn't move until the police officer who was sitting in a driveway with his lights off drove up. The police usually hang out near the stop sign to catch the unsuspecting who blow through the intersection.

The officer asked if I was ok and inspected the rear of my car to make sure there was no damage. He asked for my telephone number and license to get my contact info and asked me if I could wait while he had a discussion with the man in the truck. He then said I could go.

The Chief called today to advise (I am the conflict solicitor for that jurisdiction) that the man in the truck was cited for reckless driving, careless driving, following too close and failure to stop at stop sign and an unrelated license restriction and a few other things. He took him into custody as the unrelated license restriction was a DUI license suspension.

Karma is a bit@h....that is the first time I have ever been that fortunate.....I am going to go out to my car to find the a$$hole magnet that must be buried deep in the car.

Last edited by rnl; 09-10-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:45 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
25mph speed limits denote residential areas, please slow down. The rest of your realization could be summarized as: "I'm a sociopath."

Old 09-10-2014, 01:49 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drspeed
I have little to comment on about our wonderful 991s. Its a joy and a privilege to own and drive. But about the driving.....

(feel free to move this post if there is a bad driving section of the forum)

I realized something profound this morning. Seriously. That is - if I were required without exception to drive at or below the speed limit on the road (I'm in the US), I would simply seek out the most efficient, comfortable and inexpensive [boring] car possible (public transport isn't really an option where I am). Driving fast is an integral part of the person I am. That part would die completely if I were driving 30 mph around town and 55-70 mph on the highway. The craft I've developed, the style and also the skills would wither away. In short, driving fast isn't merely a preference, its an essential requirement for me [Of course this commnetary isn't admissible in court since it can't be authenticated]. I just don't think other motorists understand this mentality.

If they did, perhaps they wouldn't do thinks like...park their landscaping truck (complete with a ramp that would launch me over the truck if I didn't slow down) in the road - IN THE ROAD! They figure its a 25 mph limit no biggie. Parking on a 25 mph road is equivalent to driving 25 mph through a parking lot full of stationary cars! That would go over well right?

American drivers (can't speak for the rest of the globe) need to understand and remember when pulling out of driveways, changing lanes etc.. that other vehicles can and do often drive faster than the posted limits. That the other driver is operating unlawfully is irrelevant. Its a fact of life. Being "right" isn't going to undue a collision.

Lastly, I am frequently reminded of how ignorant/selfish/self-righteous/clueless some drivers are at intersections when they see a motorcycle or sports car. I'm not claiming that faster vehicles should automatically get special priority, but if you see a 911 and hear a 911 blipping downshifts as it comes to a hard stop at an intersection and you're driving Ms. Daisy why - why -why do you pull out in front of the porsche that looks like its coming into the pits? You're only creating a problem for yourself when the 911 is antsy to pass you 15 seconds later? Same with the bikes. Their acceleration and braking abilities open options on the road that no car can dream of. Let them go already. I'm not sure how much of this behavior is done by drivers seeking to "police" the roadways, or just dim witted single minded flat people who don't think about anything that occurs beyond their dashboard while driving.

There, I'm done.

Feel free to add, or enlighten me if you disagree.

In any event safe motoring,
DRP
Now you've reminded me of my favorite. In Texas drivers don't know how to merge onto a freeway. I constantly run into the situation where I'm going 70 in a 65 and people merge a long way onto the freeway at 45-50, forcing me to change lanes or hit them. Or they end up going right beside you at exactly the same speed and run out of lane and just pull right into the lane already occupied by you. I usually put it in 2nd and give them room to pull in.

ChuckJ

Old 09-10-2014, 02:17 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
I love your "In any event safe motoring" sign off.

Umm, sorry dude, but I'm glad you're up in CT far away from my neighborhood! If you want to drive fast, save it for the track.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Landscaping truck launch ramp is awesome.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Cutters68 is on a distinguished road
You may very well be the reason our cars have "a$$hole magnets buried deep inside". Take your aggressive driving to the track. No place for it on public roads, especially in residential neighborhoods. Don't expect others to be listening for your throttle blipping. I thought you were kidding (surely) when I began reading your post.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:25 PM
DocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to all
Wow, I read this post and was absolutely sure the OP was being satirical. I do not think he meant his post LITERALLY. Isn't he just poking fun at himself?

I choose to believe this is dry humor.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:29 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Just remember that driving is a privilege and not a right, and that privilege can be taken away.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Rapture1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rnl
530 yesterday morning I left my home in the beautiful exburbs of Philadelphia. We're talking quiet deserted country roads. It was dark and the engine was cold. I traveled slowly (25 to 30 to heat up the engine) just over one mile (engine still cold) and while on a short hill a huge pick up started tailgating...two feet behind me would be a generous estimate. I pulled over to the right after the stop sign, put my blinkers on and allowed the man in the truck to pass. He wasn't satisfied. He passed me and then stopped in the middle of the two lane country road and put on his blinkers to block my way. I stopped three or four car lengths behind and waited. he didn't move until the police officer who was sitting in a driveway with his lights off drove up. The police usually hang out near the stop sign to catch the unsuspecting who blow through the intersection.

The officer asked if I was ok and inspected the rear of my car to make sure there was no damage. He asked for my telephone number and license to get my contact info and asked me if I could wait while he had a discussion with the man in the truck. He then said I could go.

The Chief called today to advise (I am the conflict solicitor for that jurisdiction) that the man in the truck was cited for reckless driving, careless driving, following too close and failure to stop at stop sign and an unrelated license restriction and a few other things. He took him into custody as the unrelated license restriction was a DUI license suspension.

Karma is a bit@h....that is the first time I have ever been that fortunate.....I am going to go out to my car to find the a$$hole magnet that must be buried deep in the car.

Just wow, this is an amazing story, they should catch these types more often.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:37 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
My driving epiphany is Murphy's Law.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:34 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rnl

It's rare to see Karma happen. Thanks for sharing. Your story made my day!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: driving epiphany