991 Voltage readings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:54 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
991 Voltage readings

Looking for some comparisons:

Normal hwy driving w/or w/o lights on... 13.4 - 13.9

When touching the brakes - again lights either on or off (for just a moment)- it spikes to 14.8-14.9 then finds it's way back down to 13.9.

Just noticed the "braking" varience today.

Sometimes when I start the car from cold - maybe it's sat for a couple days -
14.8 - 14.9 seems the norm on my car for maybe 1/2 hour or so.

Other's experiences?

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2014, 12:11 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Mine hovers at 14.5 and I was thinking that was a little on the high side. I believe they are gel-cell batteries so they may be designed to handle that.

ChuckJ

Old 10-27-2014, 04:14 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Normal. On cold days 15.2.

The alternator engages when you touch the brakes. It's part of the gas saving features

Old 10-27-2014, 04:16 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rnl
Normal.

On cold days 15.2.
Thanks for following up!

The concern for me was that it's very close to the max red zone.....

Old 10-27-2014, 04:44 PM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by HotHonda
Looking for some comparisons: Normal hwy driving w/or w/o lights on... 13.4 - 13.9 When touching the brakes - again lights either on or off (for just a moment)- it spikes to 14.8-14.9 then finds it's way back down to 13.9. Just noticed the "braking" varience today. Sometimes when I start the car from cold - maybe it's sat for a couple days - 14.8 - 14.9 seems the norm on my car for maybe 1/2 hour or so. Other's experiences? Thanks!
13.9 - 14.1

Frank C.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:32 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HotHonda
Thanks for following up! The concern for me was that it's very close to the max red zone.....
16 is bad. Less is ok.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Mine stays in 14V range.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:46 PM
dyim will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by rnl
Normal. On cold days 15.2.

The alternator engages when you touch the brakes. It's part of the gas saving features
+1

Also goes up when you select sports mode or sports+ (Assuming if it is not high already due to cold ambient temp.)

Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Why does the voltage go higher in the cold? I would've thought too low was bad.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:24 PM
shumi_9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dyim
+1

Also goes up when you select sports mode or sports+ (Assuming if it is not high already due to cold ambient temp.)

Speaking of which, I de-activated the gas saving feature several months ago as it was freaking me out and as I switched to sport mode on a full time basis. I decided to check if the feature still worked last week and it does not any longer (in normal mode of course). My Voltage is in the mid-14's. What do you guys think? Battery starting to go? 20K miles, 2 years old.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Tina991 is a jewel in the roughTina991 is a jewel in the roughTina991 is a jewel in the roughTina991 is a jewel in the rough
14.5 average.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:49 PM
dyim will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by hawc
Why does the voltage go higher in the cold? I would've thought too low was bad.
I thought maybe the car is running it high in anticipation of the electrical draw of heated seats, defroster and such?

During cold start when it is cold out, it reads up to 14.8 right away.

After driving an hour, it would drop back to 13.7. Not sure why that is.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by dyim
I thought maybe the car is running it high in anticipation of the electrical draw of heated seats, defroster and such?

During cold start when it is cold out, it reads up to 14.8 right away.

After driving an hour, it would drop back to 13.7. Not sure why that is.
Same exact thing for mine yesterday. Temps in the low 50's.

When I first got my 991 the vehicle gauge in the dash that shows all the readings didn't have the voltage preference selected. It wasn't till I added
it to the menu that I started to wonder/think too much etc.

Probably I should just unselect it & be in the dark ha ha

Old 10-30-2014, 06:06 PM
rnl
Shhhhh! If we complain the Porsche parents will program a software patch to fix the voltage display at 13.7.

If the battery dies the car won't start.

If the charging system malfunctions the car will tell you.

Perhaps we should display the altimeter instead

Last edited by rnl; 10-30-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:19 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Mine hit 15V today.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Voltage readings