Purchase advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 10:14 AM
DanInLA is on a distinguished road
Purchase advice appreciated

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve learned a lot from observing these forums over the years. So I am extremely appreciative of any feedback for my particular situation.

My lease is about to expire on a 2013 C2S Cab which I’ve really, really enjoyed. I am going to replace it. While I am eager to see what changes are in store for the 991.2, I have ruled out waiting because even if those changes are revolutionary (which I doubt), I would still wait a model year before pulling the trigger on something new.

So, my replacement strategy has been focused on finding a slightly used 2013 or 2014 C2S Cab. I can see myself keeping the car 2-4 years and then reevaluating my options at that time.

I have found a leftover 2014 C2S Cab with 400 miles. Build sheet says production month is July 2013 which is curious given the mileage. Warranty was punched December 1, 2014. The car has a MSRP of $136k and ticks all my boxes. It’s not a “standard” configuration in that it’s sapphire blue with black top and two-tone black/platinum interior. Not for everyone, I know, but I like it! The dealer is listing the car at a 9% discount which to me is not enough.

Then, to complicate things, the car is on the east coast and I am on the west coast. So, I’d need to factor shipping into the equation.

Here’s a list of my questions/concerns. Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated:

* Why would there be so few miles on a car produced in July 2013? Most (or all) of the demo cars I am seeing still for sale have way more miles. I will definitely ask the dealer, but that’s a red flag to me at this point. Seems like this particular car has been sitting on the lot for an unusually long time.

* Should I be concerned that the car was damaged in those 400 miles? I don’t think Carfax would be helpful in a situation like this. Maybe a PPI but I’d need to coordinate that remotely. Suppose I’m just trying to figure out why that car hasn’t sold or been driven all this time.

* Would negotiating a CPO be beneficial even if I’m thinking it’s a 2-4 year car for me?

* As for shipping, should I require the dealer coordinate that? I guess I’d really like to know if there would be any way to structure a deal so that I had some sort of recourse if the car comes to me and it’s not as described. Maybe that’s wishful thinking.

I can and will continue my search if this one doesn’t pan out, for sure. But if I can get the dealer to move south on the price and assuming there’s nothing wrong with the car, I think this might be a great option for me at this point.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Dan

Old 01-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
Why not buy out the lead on your current car? You know where it's been and how it has been taken care of.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Thank you for the reply. It's a good thought but there are a few reasons. The car has close to 22k miles. It also doesn't have full leather nor does it have sport exhaust. Those are two options I really want going forward.

Originally Posted by Capsfan
Why not buy out the lead on your current car? You know where it's been and how it has been taken care of.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
Dan, with being in LA and 911's being all over the place, I would wait and just keep an eye out at the local dealerships. You can even go in and let them know what you are looking for and let them handle the looking.
The one you found is curious and I would be interested to know we're it has been.
Good luck.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:19 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DanInLA
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve learned a lot from observing these forums over the years. So I am extremely appreciative of any feedback for my particular situation.

My lease is about to expire on a 2013 C2S Cab which I’ve really, really enjoyed. I am going to replace it. While I am eager to see what changes are in store for the 991.2, I have ruled out waiting because even if those changes are revolutionary (which I doubt), I would still wait a model year before pulling the trigger on something new.

So, my replacement strategy has been focused on finding a slightly used 2013 or 2014 C2S Cab. I can see myself keeping the car 2-4 years and then reevaluating my options at that time.

I have found a leftover 2014 C2S Cab with 400 miles. Build sheet says production month is July 2013 which is curious given the mileage. Warranty was punched December 1, 2014. The car has a MSRP of $136k and ticks all my boxes. It’s not a “standard” configuration in that it’s sapphire blue with black top and two-tone black/platinum interior. Not for everyone, I know, but I like it! The dealer is listing the car at a 9% discount which to me is not enough.

Then, to complicate things, the car is on the east coast and I am on the west coast. So, I’d need to factor shipping into the equation.

Here’s a list of my questions/concerns. Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated:

* Why would there be so few miles on a car produced in July 2013? Most (or all) of the demo cars I am seeing still for sale have way more miles. I will definitely ask the dealer, but that’s a red flag to me at this point. Seems like this particular car has been sitting on the lot for an unusually long time.

* Should I be concerned that the car was damaged in those 400 miles? I don’t think Carfax would be helpful in a situation like this. Maybe a PPI but I’d need to coordinate that remotely. Suppose I’m just trying to figure out why that car hasn’t sold or been driven all this time.

* Would negotiating a CPO be beneficial even if I’m thinking it’s a 2-4 year car for me?

* As for shipping, should I require the dealer coordinate that? I guess I’d really like to know if there would be any way to structure a deal so that I had some sort of recourse if the car comes to me and it’s not as described. Maybe that’s wishful thinking.

I can and will continue my search if this one doesn’t pan out, for sure. But if I can get the dealer to move south on the price and assuming there’s nothing wrong with the car, I think this might be a great option for me at this point.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Dan
-----
Yes

---------------------
I had my 2013 Cab shipped from Texas and my 996TT shipped from NH- both to CA. The dealer should have a preferred shipper and you can try and negotiate the shipping into the purchase price. Have the dealer take a full set of picture along with the odometer when the car is loaded on the transport to minimize any issues.
--------------------

Old 01-12-2015, 12:19 PM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
I like the car you describe. I've got full dual-tone leather on my non-cab, and it's very nice. If it's what you want, then go for it. But that price is ridiculous. 9% off on a two year-old car? Pfffffffffffffffft. Forget that it's only got 400 miles on it, what do 2013 cabs go for these days? That's what it should sell for.

As for shipping, that's tough. You can pay big bucks and get it shipped enclosed with little chance of damage, or pay half as much for an open carrier and take your chances. Either way it's unlikely that it will get damaged, but really the best thing to do is to take a week off of work and drive it home. Make it a vacation. You don't say where the car is, but take the southern route across country and you should be fine, weather-wise. Probably.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Yes. I agree the price isn't where it needs to be. The car is in Pennsylvania and I'm in Los Angeles. I spent a couple of years in Philly so I'm a little experienced with winters out there. I could take the time off, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as "vacation".

Waiting for a return email now to set up a time to discuss. They were engaged in the discourse on Friday but not today. Not sure what the deal is.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:06 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Question Beyond a PPI

I am under the impression that any dealership can obtain a vehicle history using your vin number.

I'm not sure if it covers all services at any dealership...?

Old 01-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Interesting update to my saga. I did get a chance to speak to the dealership. This car has never been titled so it is being sold as new. I asked and received the service history and there's nothing in there except a software update and a maintenance light reset. They won't/can't CPO it as it's a new car, evidently, but they will negotiate shipping (they only use Reliable, evidently). Finally, they punched it in December to get credit for the sale from Porsche and to collect some money.

To me, this feels like a good situation assuming I can get comfortable purchasing sight unseen. It's been sitting in their show room for a very long time which I suppose is understandable given it's a non-standard and high MSRP configuration. It will be interesting to see if they will negotiate on the price. I don't see how they won't as it's the dead of winter and the car has just been sitting there collecting dust for over a year.

Is there anything blatant I'm missing here? I don't think so but it doesn't hurt to ask before I try to find out their bottom line.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:32 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting update to my saga. I did get a chance to speak to the dealership. This car has never been titled so it is being sold as new. I asked and received the service history and there's nothing in there except a software update and a maintenance light reset. They won't/can't CPO it as it's a new car, evidently, but they will negotiate shipping (they only use Reliable, evidently). Finally, they punched it in December to get credit for the sale from Porsche and to collect some money.

To me, this feels like a good situation assuming I can get comfortable purchasing sight unseen. It's been sitting in their show room for a very long time which I suppose is understandable given it's a non-standard and high MSRP configuration. It will be interesting to see if they will negotiate on the price. I don't see how they won't as it's the dead of winter and the car has just been sitting there collecting dust for over a year.

Is there anything blatant I'm missing here? I don't think so but it doesn't hurt to ask before I try to find out their bottom line.
Well, I can tell you my buying experience on my 2014 Carrera Cab S at Tysons Porsche in Virginia. It was a manual trans, and a low option car and those two killed the buyer pool on it, so it sat on the lot for 9 months with only 72 miles on it (I put 25 of those on it test driving it). It had the warranty 'punched' 60 days before I bought it which means they start the warranty on the car to clear it off the new car books. That is basically done for some kind of allotment reasons to show the car moved from the brand new car inventory. MSRP was $ 114,200 on it. I paid $ 105K and as part of the deal had a CPO Warranty put on it (Worth around $ 3K and 2 years maintenance at $ 2K) so in effect I got the car for $ 100K or a 14 % discount. Now when I got mine it was only halfway through the 2014 model year, you're looking at a '14 in 2015 so your deal should be as good as that or better - or find another dealer! Here it is the day it came home...

Old 01-14-2015, 05:09 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future

Minimum 15% off a punched year old car. I bought a cayenne turbo under similar circumstances and received 18% discount.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:15 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future

Curious, as I am in PA -- what dealer? I've been watching inventories around here for a while, and have been long-time customer of two P-car dealers in the Philadelphia region. I haven't seen too many cars sit around for "very long time" but I have seen dealers swap cars a few times to trade inventory for sales. But if you are on the fence, happy to stop by to look the car up if you want (and said dealer is withing reasonable distance from me - I'm not gonna go to Pittsburgh for ANY reason this time of year!!!). I'll even test-drive it for you!

Just PM me if interested in my assistance.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 AM
PM sent. Thank you!

Originally Posted by plenum
Curious, as I am in PA -- what dealer? I've been watching inventories around here for a while, and have been long-time customer of two P-car dealers in the Philadelphia region. I haven't seen too many cars sit around for "very long time" but I have seen dealers swap cars a few times to trade inventory for sales. But if you are on the fence, happy to stop by to look the car up if you want (and said dealer is withing reasonable distance from me - I'm not gonna go to Pittsburgh for ANY reason this time of year!!!). I'll even test-drive it for you!

Just PM me if interested in my assistance.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Just placed my deposit! I'm going to start a new member/new car thread at some point with lots of pictures once the car gets to me (Philly to LA). I've also got some ideas and questions for mods I'm already contemplating.

A huge thanks to Jon (plenum). He was super nice and looked the car over for me.

Here's the specs:

911 Carrera S Cabriolet
176 Sport Exhaust System
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
423 20" Carrera S Wheels
446 Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
603 Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
636 ParkAssist (front and rear)
640 Sport Chrono Package
658 Power Steering Plus
748 Power folding side mirrors
840 SportDesign steering wheel
970 Two-tone leather interior
BR Leather Interior in Black/Platinum Grey
N1 Sapphire Blue Metallic
P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
P3E Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)
P3H BOSE Audio Package
XDA Wheels Painted in Black

Old 01-16-2015, 04:18 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Congrats Dan!

I think the car is stunning, and in this case I can honestly say "I've seen it in person!"

I could also drive it to LA for ya, but I'm betting that is a non-starter.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Purchase advice appreciated