rear spoiler for 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:44 AM
ltdodge is on a distinguished road
rear spoiler for 991

I have been looking around for a rear spoiler and stumbled on this one.

directcartoys.com/2012-2015-911-991-LT-Style-Rear-Wing-Spoiler--P5107831.aspx

it looks similar to the speedart one, but diffrent shape and a decent price, best part is its attached with 3m tape, so no holes to drill, so if you don't like it, its easy to remove with no permanent damage. has anyone installed this on their car?

seems like the ducktail and techart spoilers are too complicated to install since you have to change switches and programming.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:05 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Not a fan. Worse than putting a 50th badge on a car that isn't the 50th. model.

Anything that takes more effort and work is usually worth it.

I like the OEM duck, duck/wing, and even the TechArt pieces personally.

Doesn't do it for me

Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2015, 09:35 AM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Do it right or don't do it at all. I had the TechArt wing installed and saved the old parts in case I sell it and the new owner wants it stock.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:07 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
And you think sticky tape is going to hold that on at 100 mph? BWWHAaaaaaa!!! Would make for a good video when it flies off the car at speed. Might be OK for Cars and Coffee though, just don't go over 40 mph on the way there.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:24 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
That spoiler is terrible. Please don't do it.it looks like a autozone piece.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:26 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I am not a fan either. Having said that, you would be surprised how strong the 3M tape is. If put on right, it can withstand 100 mph. Double sided tape, believe it or not, is used in building construction.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:24 AM
ltdodge is on a distinguished road
yes, im not sure either. looks just like the speedart one though, which several folks loved.

curious about the techart or ducktail, I have a 2012.5, the instructions calls for disabling the tail with a piwis, but my car was made prior to the aerocup kit, so will it have that option in the computer to disable?

also, some needed to replace the sunroof module and center module, is this really required?? i thought programming handled this?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:47 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ltdodge
yes, im not sure either. looks just like the speedart one though, which several folks loved. curious about the techart or ducktail, I have a 2012.5, the instructions calls for disabling the tail with a piwis, but my car was made prior to the aerocup kit, so will it have that option in the computer to disable? also, some needed to replace the sunroof module and center module, is this really required?? i thought programming handled this?
The car can be programmed to handle both pieces. Yes, you should replace both modules.

All possible on a 2012.5 991

I went through it.

Doing the above will cost around 1K or a bit more. My work was part of a package deal.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:06 PM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by STG991
Worse than putting a 50th badge on a car that isn't the 50th model.
I believe the only 911's rightfully called 50th year models are those designated as 2013 Porsche 911's.

(The Porsche 911 (pronounced Nine Eleven or German: Neunelf) is a two-door, high performance sports car made since 1963 by Porsche AG of Stuttgart, Germany)

Old 03-11-2015, 09:06 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
I am not a fan either. Having said that, you would be surprised how strong the 3M tape is. If put on right, it can withstand 100 mph. Double sided tape, believe it or not, is used in building construction.
Depending on the spoiler, they can easily generate 200 lb of downforce at 100 mph. That's like a grown man sitting atop one. I have seen cars at the track where a spoiler was simply screwed / bolted onto the trunk lid without reinforcing it underneath with metal brace bar to take the load and the trunk lid has bowed into the body from the pressure. I've never tried double-stick tape, and never would. But to each his own!

Old 03-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Airdoc will become famous soon enough

OP

I happen to like the look of spoilers. That’s why I clicked on the thread; I am always interested to see what’s out there and what peopleare trying to do. But spoilers are complicated for a reason. They produce a specific effect. In general you are increasing down force on the back of the car and this is usually balanced by a complementary effect on the front of thecar. You increase drag, and slow the car down, but when done correctly the handling characteristics are improved. The Porsche and Tech Art products are wind tunnel tested, and all of the other “complications” are required to achieve thedesired effect. By this time you have also probably figured out that they will not sell you the rear spoiler without the accompanying front diffuser. Again,they are paired to keep the car balanced.

If you just slap a spoiler on the back (tape or otherwise),you slow the car down with the increased drag, and make the car LESS stable athigh speed. Neither one of which is good.

Last edited by Airdoc; 03-13-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:37 PM
barbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Airdoc

If you just slap a spoiler on the back (tape or otherwise),you slow the car down with the increased drag, and make the car LESS stable athigh speed. Neither one of which is good.
Not so sure about your last statement that the car will automatically be less stable at high speed by adding a rear spoiler. Depends on the application.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:18 PM
Vise is on a distinguished road
Back to the original question... no, pass, absolutely not. It looks awkward at best and positively putrid when the spoiler is up.

Go Aerokit or Techart if you really need to wing it up...

Old 03-14-2015, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by barbancourt
Not so sure about your last statement that the car will automatically be less stable at high speed by adding a rear spoiler. Depends on the application.
He is correct. Spoilers are for downforce, and if you push the rear end down without compensating with an equal force up front (i.e., splitter) then the front end will become lighter and it will knock off top speed. I know first hand, did that to my BMW M3 and lost 3 to 4 mph off my top end at the track and screwed up the handling at speed. Put a splitter on the front and the handling was returned back to normal, but still lost my top end down the long straights.

And unless you run a very firmed up suspension and sticky R-Compound rubber or slicks, then you can't take advantage of any added downforces in the corners as street tires lose their grip way-way-WAY before aerodynamics kick in.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:51 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drcollie
I have seen cars at the track where a spoiler was simply screwed / bolted onto the trunk lid without reinforcing it underneath with metal brace bar to take the load and the trunk lid has bowed into the body from the pressure.
Exactly! That would not have happened if he had used double sided tape!

All kidding aside, I guess it depends on the application and manufacturers recommendations. I know that the Vorsteiner Read Decklid Spoiler uses double sided tape and have not heard of one flying off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rear spoiler for 991