991 Engine Fire On Highway - Car Destroyed -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 09:07 AM
JonnyC is on a distinguished road
991 Engine Fire On Highway - Car Destroyed -

My destroyed 2013 C4S nearly killed me for the last time over the 2016 Christmas holiday. The fire started in the engine compartment, only a few miles and a few minutes after the dealer did the 10k mi. service, which included an oil change, new filter and O-ring, and switched over to winter wheel set. This could have killed me and many others on the road. Forensic inspections of the burned out shell of a car revealed "non-native" fibers in the engine area - which, I'm told means they left a rag in there during the 10k service. When the car was brand new, it repeatedly and dangerously stalled on the road because of the defective crank sensor and spacer problem described by me and others in the thread "My C4S Died During Morning Commute." After this fire, I asked for a new car, since, after too many near-death experiences caused by Porsche or the dealer, I just didn't think it was too much to ask. The dealer's insurance company only wants to pay their idea of the market value of the car, less a 4k "salvage" value for car that's now worth only a few hundred dollars if melted down. The dealer won't step in to make up the difference.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:18 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JonnyC

My destroyed 2013 C4S nearly killed me for the last time over the 2016 Christmas holiday. The fire started in the engine compartment, only a few miles and a few minutes after the dealer did the 10k mi. service, which included an oil change, new filter and O-ring, and switched over to winter wheel set. This could have killed me and many others on the road. Forensic inspections of the burned out shell of a car revealed "non-native" fibers in the engine area - which, I'm told means they left a rag in there during the 10k service. When the car was brand new, it repeatedly and dangerously stalled on the road because of the defective crank sensor and spacer problem described by me and others in the thread "My C4S Died During Morning Commute." After this fire, I asked for a new car, since, after too many near-death experiences caused by Porsche or the dealer, I just didn't think it was too much to ask. The dealer's insurance company only wants to pay their idea of the market value of the car, less a 4k "salvage" value for car that's now worth only a few hundred dollars if melted down. The dealer won't step in to make up the difference.
Wow, I feel terrible for you Jonny. Have you asked your insurance to get involved? USAA got my "deductible" back when the other driver was found at fault, perhaps they could twist arms better than you.

ChuckJ

Old 03-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
This is why we have lawyers.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:59 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Dang man, I assume you won't be buying a Porsche again. These kinds of things can pollute the idea of a brand, for sure. Glad you are okay, that is the primary concern. This sounds like a careless servicing issue.
I experienced some carelessness on my 997.1 Carrera- a tech left the coolant expansion tank cap off after one of my service intervals. I always check the car before I leave the lot, and I noticed it before I drove off.
On these new 991's, you can't see into the engine. That does leave some danger.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:10 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
This is why we have lawyers.
It always seems to help when a lawyer writes a love note.

ChuckJ

Old 03-11-2017, 10:12 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Holy Cow! So sorry, but the most important thing is that you are OK. Lawyer up and even go social media! Porsche dealers hate bad press. This is one reason I like to work on my own cars - nowadays, unfortunately, you can't trust anyone to do a decent job.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Holy Cow! So sorry, but the most important thing is that you are OK. Lawyer up and even go social media! Porsche dealers hate bad press. This is one reason I like to work on my own cars - nowadays, unfortunately, you can't trust anyone to do a decent job.
No matter what dealership it does seem that there is a good probability that they fix what you brought it in for and do damage somewhere else. That's why I always did my own maintenance also.

ChuckJ

Old 03-11-2017, 10:40 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
No matter what dealership it does seem that there is a good probability that they fix what you brought it in for and do damage somewhere else. That's why I always did my own maintenance also.

ChuckJ
That's when you could open the bonnet and see the motor! The fact they left a rag in there they should be so worried about being sued, as well as their reputation, they should be offering him the world and making him sign a non-disclosure so he can't advertise the situation and draw bad attention to the dealer. Maybe too late for that.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:55 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
It always seems to help when a lawyer writes a love note.

ChuckJ
Agreed - they always start out tone-deaf to see what you'll accept at a minimum. Then somehow they hear clearly when the lawyers and the media calls them. Let us know which dealer it is and they'll be famous!

Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 AM
The dealer is Porsche of Conshohocken, which is located west of Philadelphia, PA.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:24 AM
dassArse is on a distinguished road
Ask for the Stars

This is some jalopnik material

Old 03-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
That's when you could open the bonnet and see the motor! The fact they left a rag in there they should be so worried about being sued, as well as their reputation, they should be offering him the world and making him sign a non-disclosure so he can't advertise the situation and draw bad attention to the dealer. Maybe too late for that.
Totally agree, Steve!!

ChuckJ

Old 03-11-2017, 12:34 PM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JonnyC

I think I can fix it.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Thanks to everyone offering support regarding the resolution. I think I'll end up ok in that regard. I'm more concerned about raising awareness of (and preventing) the potential for this incredible danger to arise from a simple service visit.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:55 PM
You're too kind!

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.