993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

Build is almost done. Maybe two weeks left

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
finally coming together again

Had a small time consuming issue. There had to be about .0625" pockets ground out of the inside piston skirts. Since I stayed 3.6 the Pauter rods were a little large for the rotation. Something I guess uncommon since most of these builds go 3.8. Then the situation is a nonevent since the inside diameter on the 3.8 piston is slightly larger. Well here is a picture of the last phase before the heads get put back on.

Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
more good stuff for your eyes guys!

A few pics of the last phases. I sent alot of parts from the engine bay out to be high temp coated red like the brakes. The alternator fan as well as the intercooler cover to be the "Big Red" Just little touches to set it off. Maybe see a bit of color through the whale tail.

Attached Images    
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
and...

different angles

Attached Images    
Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 PM
main goal here...

I want to be quicker than a C6 Zo6. Thoughts, ideas, questions, comments?

Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
great build, Im loving it so please keep updating. Great work, your engine looks brand new.
NIce work!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM
AverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really nice
Originally Posted by carmstrongLS1
I would think so but there's only one way to find out

Old 04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
True, so true.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
3.8L conversion, bigger turbo's (I have GT3076), even Tial Alpha 30's (I might convert my compressor wheel to the billet Alpha's).

Old 04-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Al Pettee
3.8L conversion, bigger turbo's (I have GT3076), even Tial Alpha 30's (I might convert my compressor wheel to the billet Alpha's).
That's what it takes to beat one of those things??? Only 505 crank and they ate that motivated?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
That's what it takes to beat one of those things??? Only 505 crank and they ate that motivated?
Maybe not mandatory, but sufficient to rub it in.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Gotcha. Well... Next year is next phase. I will do headers, bigger turbos, and intercoolers. I won't get much time to enjoy this phase now. Off to work in China for a few months soon.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Tial Turbos

Akram tells me we should try Tial are up for the next phase. So up next year is a nice Fat Proto Intercooler, Custom made exhaust manifolds and a few other goodies. As of thursday we began preperation on thursday by picking a clutchmasters carbon/kevlar unit. So... Once again, here we go. To think I haven't even finished stage 1 and we are starting stage 2.
Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Maybe not mandatory, but sufficient to rub it in.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Akram tells me we should try Tial are up for the next phase. So up next year is a nice Fat Proto Intercooler, Custom made exhaust manifolds and a few other goodies. As of thursday we began preperation on thursday by picking a clutchmasters carbon/kevlar unit. So... Once again, here we go. To think I haven't even finished stage 1 and we are starting stage 2.
You forgot to mention 3.8L.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM
But I really want to see how far I can take a 3.6, unless you already know the answer Al... But I would rather go and try for 4.0litres when I make the jump in displacement. Advice, thoughts, comments... Please.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:58 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
no replacement for displacement...none

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Build is almost done. Maybe two weeks left