996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

1st 700WHP Corn Fed (E85) Porsche! We like to call her the Corn Horse!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Chris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond repute
1st 700WHP Corn Fed (E85) Porsche! We like to call her the Corn Horse!

I have been working on this project for a few months now and it’s been a long road. During the process of me building this kit, I have been on the side of the road many time's during the testing . I am excited to report that I have a full blown 996TT Porsche running on pure E85. From the research I have done – I believe that I am the first one to do this, which is pretty exciting.

For those of you asking what this whole corn thing is about, it’s better known as E85. We have been using it for quite some time now in our other shop cars and it works great. We have EVO's making 800+whp on it and at $1.69 a gallon it’s a great option. So now I’m sure that you might be asking what does it take to run this fuel. Let’s just say it wasn’t easy getting the right combo.

First of all, I have tested everything possible to make sure that this kit is bullet proof. I have gone through a ton of different parts and tunes and now have something that works EXTREMELY well and efficient. I am the type of person that likes things simple. Less confusion = less headaches. There are a few factors that go into this conversion, like a couple of fuel lines/FPR/Fuel Pumps/ Injectors etc. But one of the hardest and most important factors is the tune. Tuning is the most important factor here.

Keep in mind, E85 takes about 30-40% more fuel to make the same power as gasoline. So there was a lot of trial that went into making this work perfect. With the help from tony@epl we were able to work together to develop a custom EPL tune to go along with the project.

Here are a few facts about E85. It has a 105 octane rating and runs very cool and even though its only 105 octane we have made more power with it then ms109,c16,q16 which is rated at 116+ octane. With many gas stations around the U.S. getting E85 now it could be the future for high HP cars. The U.S. Department of Energy has a great site that lets you find alternative fuels like E85. You can check it out here - http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/stations/find_station.php.

So the reason for this whole post was to let you know how much power I have taken the little k24/18's. Before I was running ms109 @ 1.4 bar and made 670WHP now with the same boost and a safer a/f it’s making 702WHP with the E85. My best 60-130 was 6.08 pre E85 and a best 1/4 of 10.75@135.38. I will be doing some runs this week to see if I can dip into the 5's. keep in mind this run lost tq cause of rpm few pulls before this it was making 710 tq.

Also for those of you interested, here is quick run down of my setup:

k24/18g's
EPL Software
USP Motorsports 3" race exhaust
USP Motorsports I/c's
USP Motorsports Tip's
USP Motorsports Fuel pump kit
EVO MS intake
all stock motor.

Chris Green

Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Evo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to see someone has done this. E85 is an awesome alternative to racing fuel with a proper tune. Congrats and good luck!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
great work, Chris... hows maintence on a e85 setup, as far as spark plugs and fuel filters go.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Chris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond repute
so far good, I have cut open one fuel filter and it all looks normal. little more wear on the oil which is normal for any kind of meth product. you can run a hotter plug with e85 but I left them the same.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Chris, that's a very interesting project - congratulations! Can't wait to see the performance results.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
How much is the Fuel kit? and what exactly is the USP Tips? (exhaust tips?)

Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
We have an E85 Supra here...you are the first Porsche, congrats.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:06 AM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chris Green
so far good, I have cut open one fuel filter and it all looks normal. little more wear on the oil which is normal for any kind of meth product. you can run a hotter plug with e85 but I left them the same.
Chris very interesting news... i will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread...

Old 02-25-2009, 04:13 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Wow now that is exciting stuff. Congrats and looking forward to new times!

Old 02-25-2009, 04:45 AM
thankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of light
This is actually really cool to see. Many of the LeMans cars are now running e85. You would think they know something a bit more than the average joe. As I read this - I sent it over to some friends who race for a living and their comments were interesting as well. They thought this was very smart for sure. The bang you get from a fuel like this - at the cost - there is no equal. Plus the green effect is pretty cool as well.

I too will keep an eye on this thread. Better yet - I have to come down and see what you have done. I will try and make sometime this week to do so.

I can only imagine what it must of felt like when you were figuring out the tuning and fuel and getting it all right. Blazing a trail is always fun. Congrats on this project. I have a feeling this is going to get a lot of interest from many many people.

Thanks for the post - and please keep us updated on your numbers and runs.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:52 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Congrats on being the first Porsche. This is really interesting.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:06 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Great! This is truly an impressive accomplishment!
Robert

Old 02-25-2009, 05:32 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Wow.. impressive output.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
How much is the Fuel kit? and what exactly is the USP Tips? (exhaust tips?)
sorry Turbo inlet pipe 2.5" alum.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Nice work Chris!

Another interesting fact about e85 vs ms109.
e85's engine octane is 105 while ms109's engine octane is only 104 ( why do they call it 109???).

So...1.60 for e85 vs 8.00 ms109 and e85 is higher octane. That's a no brainier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 1st 700WHP Corn Fed (E85) Porsche! We like to call her the Corn Horse!