996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY pressure/boost leak test rig w/pics

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:18 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
DIY pressure/boost leak test rig w/pics

well i after 5 days at the cottage i was starting to get a little antsy ... so i gave my good friend todd k a call and asked him if wanted to test for boost leaks how would you go about doing it ... well after a few minutes of talking here is what we came up with 2-2inch pvc couplers 2-2 inch plugs some epoxy(used to seal the air fitting into the pvc) and an air fitting total cost $16 at lowes.....well i think of myself as a bit meticulous when i work on my car thinking that i would not find any leaks... i was wrong i found 5 huge leaks it leaked so bad that it emptied my aircompressor in 15 seconds... after an hour of so tracking them down its as tight as a drum.. i would advise doing this to your setup.. the car is a whole differnt beast i can finnaly keep my boost on top.. the only bad side 4th gear 1.5 bar the clutch starts to slip a bit around 5000rpm ill probably have to turn it down a tad let me know if you have any questions

ps

i plugged the tester into an air compressor regulated at 25 lbs the 2 rubber couplers mount onto the turbo air inlets.. you can hear all the air leaks and you rub around the hoses and clamps with your hand and when you get close the pitch changes

tim

Attached Images     

Last edited by colorinc; 06-17-2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added some info
Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Whats the amount of psi from the compressor?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
regulated 25psi
Originally Posted by adam699
Whats the amount of psi from the compressor?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:51 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Great post! I think EVERYONE should do this. I found a few major leaks myself (air fittings, intercooler couplers, pinhole in the intercooler). It makes a big difference in spool time!

Keep in mind the above is for cars running blow-thru MAFS. Stock MAF/Hitachi cars can just remove the airbox and make a plug for the intake plenum.

Last edited by dgreen78; 06-17-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:29 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
most of the leaks were repaired how? did you just have too tighen up hose bands? or replace something?

Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Tim Great little article. I can see everyone running out to get this done already LOL
Tim I had mine smoke tested and it check out.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 AM
yup just tightened everything down

Originally Posted by boca996tt
most of the leaks were repaired how? did you just have too tighen up hose bands? or replace something?

Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Keep in mind the above is for cars running blow-thru MAFS. Stock MAF/Hitachi cars can just remove the airbox and make a plug for the intake plenum.
Can you expalin more on the above? I want to do this soon. But want to make sure that I'm doing it correctly. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
How do you keep air from escaping out of the air filter? I tried an experiment with a diy pressure tester of my own design a while back, and felt like the air was leaking out the filter.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 AM
dublinoh will become famous soon enoughdublinoh will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Great post! I think EVERYONE should do this. I found a few major leaks myself (air fittings, intercooler couplers, pinhole in the intercooler). It makes a big difference in spool time!

So, with a stock air box, you would remove air filter and box that holds air filter; and make a single plug with air fitting that fits to opening that holds the MAF? Then 25lbs pressure and look and listen for leaks? Correct?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yes.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Well I went out to the barn and looked at the stock setup and what needs to be done. Is remove the irbox all together in cluding the housing that holds the maf sensor that will leave you with a 4.5 inch(aprox) rubber coupler I then would plug that nd pressurize the system..
Originally Posted by dublinoh
So, with a stock air box, you would remove air filter and box that holds air filter; and make a single plug with air fitting that fits to opening that holds the MAF? Then 25lbs pressure and look and listen for leaks? Correct?

Old 06-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
So then you'd be plugging the throttle body as well as two plugs for the intercooler intakes and presurize it to 25 pounds and listen/feel for obvious leaks?

Old 06-18-2009, 02:32 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
Wouldn't boost leak out of the turbos if you prrssuruzed from the airbox opening?

Old 06-18-2009, 02:56 PM
No don't plug the tb... 2 huge boost leaks were after the tb one intake runner and the vac line to the dv's

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
So then you'd be plugging the throttle body as well as two plugs for the intercooler intakes and presurize it to 25 pounds and listen/feel for obvious leaks?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY pressure/boost leak test rig w/pics