996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY: Replacing Coolant Expansion Tank: 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Keithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up DIY: Replacing Coolant Expansion Tank: 996TT

This is my version of the replacement of the coolant expansion tank. I say my version, as opposed to Dan@SharkWerks because mine is the 996TT and the one he DIY'd wasn't and there are extra bits to remove to get the job done. So, here it goes:

Time: 5 hrs.

1. Draining the coolant

Place jack under engine and jack up the car. (be sure to have a piece of rubber or wood on your jack point. Use two jack stands on the rear jack points. (at the front of rear wheels) Unscrew coolant cap to release pressure. Get a 2-3 gallon plastic bucket and place it underneath the coolant drain plug. (There are two, I just unscrewed the drivers side) With hex key, unscrew drain plug. Be careful, the coolant splashes. Screw the drain plug back in.

2. Removing the air filter:

Unscrew fastening screw on front of AF (13mm). Remove the MAF sensor by removing two torx screws. Pull out of housing and squeeze the clip to remove. Set aside. Unscrew hose clamp on the end of the AF to loosen and pull apart from the accordian hose. Rotate the air filter housing upwards to the left 90 degrees and pull out of the car and set aside.

3. Removing the Fuel Filter:

Remove the fuel return and fuel supply lines, front is two 19mm that you counter and unscrew. The other is a grey clip that you squeeze and pull apart. Remove the ground wire by pulling it off. Next loosen the clip that attaches the FF to the coolant expansion tank to remove from tank and remove it from the car. (cover the front opening and the hose that is still attached to the FF with a rubber glove finger and a rubber band to prevent the fuel from leaking all over the place)

4. Removing the intake pipe:
Remove three bolts (10mm) at the back of the intake pipe. Two on top, and one that isn't visible at the bottom. This one is the trickiest bolt of the whole job. Lowering the engine helps. Unhook the two IC hoses from the Y-Pipe. Put a floor jack under the engine to hold it up. Remove the rear engine mount nuts on the underside of the car. They are long screws so this takes a while. You will need an extended ratchet and a 9-12" extension. Once removed, slowly lower the engine to give yourself enough room for the next step.
On the left side of the intake where the fuel filter previously was, reach back (it is very difficult and you will get scratches and bruises with this step) to feel the bottom screw of the intake pipe.

With an extra long extension, and a 10mm ratchet guide the ratchet under the bottom of the intake pipe and with your left hand feel it onto the nut. Unscrew and with your left hand make sure you catch the bolt when removed. Remove the hose clamp and hose that connects to the back of the pipe. Remove the hose that connects to the right side of the intake also. Remove the last screw at top of the intake pipe that holds it in place and gently remove intake pipe from car. Be sure to keep the intake gasket in position for later. Good, you finished the hardest part!! Now go and take a break and grab a beer!

Now you have room to remove the coolant expansion tank and remove all hoses and sensor.

5. Removing the coolant expansion tank:

Remove all three hoses on the expansion tank with a grip wide enough to squeeze together the hose clips and pull hoses from tank.
Remove coolant level sensor wire by squeezing and pulling clip out. Remove sensor from tank by twisting. Pull out and set aside.
Unscrew nut that attaches the tank to the inside body of car. Pull out tank from track that it slides from. Now work the tank out of the car by twisting and pulling. Push the IC hose that you removed earlier down enough and the tank should come right out!

Now, attach the coolant drain hose to the new tank and attach the coolant level sensor.

Reverse process, add coolant, cap the tank and start the car. The check coolant light will come on. Drive car, then park. Let engine cool, then top with coolant until you reach maximum coolant level. Drive again and repeat process until level is full. Check coolant level light should turn off.

Here is a close up of the old tank and the crack, and the new one installed. The pic of the new tank is sideways.

I hope this helps us 996 Turbo folk!

Last edited by Keithbeats; 07-02-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:15 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Excellent DIY

Old 07-02-2010, 07:36 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Good job Keith! THanks for taking the time to do it!

Old 07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Griffon345 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Keith this kind of thing is great for my Nirvana of DIY'ing my imminent purchase. Anyone changed a power steering reservoir and/or a Tip bearing seal?

Old 07-03-2010, 02:32 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
good stuff, thanks!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 AM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
Where exactly are the coolant drain plugs?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:38 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Griffon345
Thanks Keith this kind of thing is great for my Nirvana of DIY'ing my imminent purchase. Anyone changed a power steering reservoir and/or a Tip bearing seal?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ir-change.html

This should help. Which bearing seal are you referring to?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Banned
mmm635 will become famous soon enoughmmm635 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by code7rpd
Where exactly are the coolant drain plugs?
There are Five...

Two in the rear:

Front Passenger (Driver side is mirrored in this location):

Front Center Radiator:

Note: If you really want to completely drain the system, then you need to disconnect the two hoses underneath the car next to the transmission. I had over a gallon of coolant come out when I replaced those hoses. I did not see that mentioned in any write-ups and discovered this when I replaced most of my cooling hoses in the rear.

Here is the passenger's side...

Last edited by mmm635; 03-05-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
That helps - thanks!

Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 AM
JG GT500 will become famous soon enough
Nice write-up

Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for your contribution. Sooner or later I will need this and I printed and saved in my Tech file.
JR

Old 11-13-2019, 02:31 PM
ENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Keithbeats
This is my version of the replacement of the coolant expansion tank. I say my version, as opposed to Dan@SharkWerks because mine is the 996TT and the one he DIY'd wasn't and there are extra bits to remove to get the job done. So, here it goes:

Time: 5 hrs.

1. Draining the coolant

Place jack under engine and jack up the car. (be sure to have a piece of rubber or wood on your jack point. Use two jack stands on the rear jack points. (at the front of rear wheels) Unscrew coolant cap to release pressure. Get a 2-3 gallon plastic bucket and place it underneath the coolant drain plug. (There are two, I just unscrewed the drivers side) With hex key, unscrew drain plug. Be careful, the coolant splashes. Screw the drain plug back in.

2. Removing the air filter:

Unscrew fastening screw on front of AF (13mm). Remove the MAF sensor by removing two torx screws. Pull out of housing and squeeze the clip to remove. Set aside. Unscrew hose clamp on the end of the AF to loosen and pull apart from the accordian hose. Rotate the air filter housing upwards to the left 90 degrees and pull out of the car and set aside.

3. Removing the Fuel Filter:

Remove the fuel return and fuel supply lines, front is two 19mm that you counter and unscrew. The other is a grey clip that you squeeze and pull apart. Remove the ground wire by pulling it off. Next loosen the clip that attaches the FF to the coolant expansion tank to remove from tank and remove it from the car. (cover the front opening and the hose that is still attached to the FF with a rubber glove finger and a rubber band to prevent the fuel from leaking all over the place)

4. Removing the intake pipe:
Remove three bolts (10mm) at the back of the intake pipe. Two on top, and one that isn't visible at the bottom. This one is the trickiest bolt of the whole job. Lowering the engine helps. Unhook the two IC hoses from the Y-Pipe. Put a floor jack under the engine to hold it up. Remove the rear engine mount nuts on the underside of the car. They are long screws so this takes a while. You will need an extended ratchet and a 9-12" extension. Once removed, slowly lower the engine to give yourself enough room for the next step.
On the left side of the intake where the fuel filter previously was, reach back (it is very difficult and you will get scratches and bruises with this step) to feel the bottom screw of the intake pipe.

With an extra long extension, and a 10mm ratchet guide the ratchet under the bottom of the intake pipe and with your left hand feel it onto the nut. Unscrew and with your left hand make sure you catch the bolt when removed. Remove the hose clamp and hose that connects to the back of the pipe. Remove the hose that connects to the right side of the intake also. Remove the last screw at top of the intake pipe that holds it in place and gently remove intake pipe from car. Be sure to keep the intake gasket in position for later. Good, you finished the hardest part!! Now go and take a break and grab a beer!

Now you have room to remove the coolant expansion tank and remove all hoses and sensor.

5. Removing the coolant expansion tank:

Remove all three hoses on the expansion tank with a grip wide enough to squeeze together the hose clips and pull hoses from tank.
Remove coolant level sensor wire by squeezing and pulling clip out. Remove sensor from tank by twisting. Pull out and set aside.
Unscrew nut that attaches the tank to the inside body of car. Pull out tank from track that it slides from. Now work the tank out of the car by twisting and pulling. Push the IC hose that you removed earlier down enough and the tank should come right out!

Now, attach the coolant drain hose to the new tank and attach the coolant level sensor.

Reverse process, add coolant, cap the tank and start the car. The check coolant light will come on. Drive car, then park. Let engine cool, then top with coolant until you reach maximum coolant level. Drive again and repeat process until level is full. Check coolant level light should turn off.

Here is a close up of the old tank and the crack, and the new one installed. The pic of the new tank is sideways.

I hope this helps us 996 Turbo folk!
Was your leak small from that crack? And where was it dripping? I seem to have a drip coming down and around my turbo oil reservoir and its deff coolant from above. I had some hoses need tightening once temps dropped but this leak is still happening. It's a very slow leak but a leak nonetheless.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
If your tank is yellow - you need to replace it ASAP. There is another more detailed DIY here: Replace Reservoir DIY

Old 12-14-2019, 08:52 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
whoever mentioned upthread that swapping the expansion tank is a 5 hour job most be talking porsche dealer "book time". when i last replaced mine a year ago it was 2.5 hours tops. adding coolant takes 45 minutes ( 1 hr max incl equalizing presure at the breather etc ), and wrangling the new tank in/out along with airbox removal ( etc ) the other 1.5 hours.

don't be fooled lol

Old 12-14-2019, 09:15 AM
ENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
whoever mentioned upthread that swapping the expansion tank is a 5 hour job most be talking porsche dealer "book time". when i last replaced mine a year ago it was 2.5 hours tops. adding coolant takes 45 minutes ( 1 hr max incl equalizing presure at the breather etc ), and wrangling the new tank in/out along with airbox removal ( etc ) the other 1.5 hours.

don't be fooled lol
I wish there were someone local with experience doing this to help me. Would save me a few hundred dollars. I feel a big bill coming for coils, plugs, front AC condenser, and coolant expansion tank.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Replacing Coolant Expansion Tank: 996TT