996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY- PS Pump and Reservoir change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:06 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
DIY- PS Pump and Reservoir change

I'll edit this with media in a bit. Here's the step by step it's actually quite easy if you are mechanically inclined. I'm not gonna go into details on Air Filter or Belt removal as I think that if you cannot master this one yourself you got no business going further I take no responsibility if you damage something or hurt yourself. (There is excellend writeups on rennlist that covers these 2 steps)

1. Remove the Air Filter Assembly

2. Remove the 2 bolts retaining the Y-pipe, Loosen 1 clamp by the throttle body, disconnect the boost hoses from the y pipe, slide off a clamp on the drivers side connecting the F pipe, remove 1 bolt attaching the AC clamp to y pipe. Yank the Y pipe but be careful as just under the throttle body there's a tiny vacum tube going to a selenoid that needs to be disconnected.

3. Losen the bolts to the Pumps pulley

4. Release the belt ( you dont have to remove it but just slide it of off the pulley)

5. Remove the pulley. It will come out but you might have to stick your hand behind ther pulley to turn the pumo 1/3 of a turn to clear the frame.

6. Look closely for a wire that goes to the front of the AC compressors clutch. This will determine if you can remove the reservoir and pump as one complete assembly. If the wire passes between the pump and the reservoir you will have to remove them seperatelly.

7. Have plenty of rags as there will be some spillage and Pentosin is not nice to rubber hoses. If it comes in contact with coolant/boost hoses wipe it off and rinse with water immidiatelly.

8. Suck out as much fluid as possible from the reservoir. I used a nice $20 vacum pump with a little jar used primarely for bleeding brakes. At one point you will notice that you cannot go any deeper because of the strainer. I noticed that if you stick your finger in there you can patiently wiggle it out. Just try not to damage it so be gentle Once the strainer is out siphon the rest of the fluid out of the reservoir. The more you get out the less of a mess.

IF REMOVING THE RESERVOIR SEPERATELY

9a. Remove the return line going into the lid of the reservoir by pressing in the red ring and pulling on it at the same time. It should release like butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOT4ZQSURnQ

9b. Remove 1X 10mm bolt hidden behind the reservoir. Remove the 2 13mm bolts on both sides of the reservoir. (the one on the drivers side is a pita to get to, I'll post a video of my wrench rig that I used to get it out).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Pol7_d_TI

9c. With the rags ready, yank the reservoir sttright up and fish it out to safety

9d. Install in reverse order.

IF REMOVING RESERVOIR AND PUMP AS AN ASSEMBLY

9a. Remove the return line going into the lid of the reservoir by pressing in the red ring and pulling on it at the same time. It should release like butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOT4ZQSURnQ

9b.Unscrew the hi pressure line from the pump at the "bronze" junction using 2 flat 15mm wrenches. Have rags ready and i used the vacum pump to keep suckingg out the fluid until it stopped draining.

9c. Unscrew the 3 bolts that attach the pump to the bracket. Yes there's 3...the third one is hidden under the pump shaft and is hard to get to. I used my "wrench rig" to get to it.

9d. Remove the 2 13mm bolts on both sides of the reservoir. (the one on the drivers side is a pita to get to, I'll post a video of my wrench rig that I used to get it out).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Pol7_d_TI

9e. Now you should be able to lift the pump(you might have to pull on the AC lines to get clearance) to clear the bracket, turn it clockwise 1/4 turn vetrically, and slide it towards you from the bottom (pump first).

Installation is in reverse order.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:09 PM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
any tips on how to remove this bolt??

Old 10-18-2008, 09:42 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
excellent write up- thanks for posting!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:40 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SXN
any tips on how to remove this bolt??
Looks like I missed this post a few months back. Looks like your car is a manual. Mine was a tip and didn't have these lines. They do look like "brake line" type fittings. I'd either use a flat wrench or if it is really stuck, vise grips usually work best for me.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 PM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
Hey guys, I still can't get that one bolt off that I circled in the picture.
I've even tried a brake line wrench.. any other tools I can use???
if i turn it anymore then it'll just strip.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by SXN
Hey guys, I still can't get that one bolt off that I circled in the picture.
I've even tried a brake line wrench.. any other tools I can use???
if i turn it anymore then it'll just strip.
Brake line wrenches suck as althou they are HEX they still flex because of the slit and will round these out. Vise grips set up right will grip it strongly enough not to strip it. Also, since the fitting is steel and the reservoir is aluminum, soak it with a penetrator first. Worst case scenario, you'll learn how to use a double flaring tool

Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 AM
SXN
Originally Posted by adam699
Brake line wrenches suck as althou they are HEX they still flex because of the slit and will round these out. Vise grips set up right will grip it strongly enough not to strip it. Also, since the fitting is steel and the reservoir is aluminum, soak it with a penetrator first. Worst case scenario, you'll learn how to use a double flaring tool
Thanks for the tips.
I finally did it. I officially hate Porsches.. so far I've replaced spark plugs, intercoolers, clutch accumulator and the power steering reservoir.
ALL of those are harder than any car I've ever worked on.

Also, when I took the drive belt off.. I didn't line the pulleys in the same spot as they were before.. now they're all outta whack.. is that ok???

Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM
blackonblacktt will become famous soon enoughblackonblacktt will become famous soon enough
SXN,

How did you finally manage to get the lines off? I just started hearing this noise today and I think I may try to tackle this job in the near future. When I changed the alternator I didnt line the pulleys up and have not noticed any ill effect. Did you change both the pump and reservoir or just the reservoir? Has the noise gone away with the change?

Thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 12:30 AM
SXN
Originally Posted by blackonblacktt
SXN,

How did you finally manage to get the lines off? I just started hearing this noise today and I think I may try to tackle this job in the near future. When I changed the alternator I didnt line the pulleys up and have not noticed any ill effect. Did you change both the pump and reservoir or just the reservoir? Has the noise gone away with the change?

Thanks
I took adams advice and used vise grips. Worked like a charm.
I replaced the reservoir, there's no need to change the pump.
It's a 997 reservoir that you replace it.
put aside a lot of time for when you do this. There's some tricky bolts man.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by SXN
I took adams advice and used vise grips. Worked like a charm.
I replaced the reservoir, there's no need to change the pump.
It's a 997 reservoir that you replace it.
put aside a lot of time for when you do this. There's some tricky bolts man.
Glad it worked

Make sure you guys tighten them up pretty good, but not too much. Also you have to be very careful not to cross thread them. It's best to just clean'em up real good and use your fingers for the first few turns. Also, triple check for leaks after you run it and use the clutch/PS.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:49 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
adam, thanks for posting this, I need to change mine out. it's been making the noise for awhile.

anyone have the actual 997 part number?

TIA

Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 PM
ait109 is a name known to allait109 is a name known to allait109 is a name known to allait109 is a name known to allait109 is a name known to allait109 is a name known to all

I got mine last week from Jeff Clark at Sunset Porsche phone 1-800-346-0182

Ed

Old 04-21-2009, 06:01 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
thanks ed!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:12 PM
pcar993 is on a distinguished road
subscribed

Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
The part number is now 997-314-920-31 RETAIL $816.04 your price $638.96

This is cut/paste directly from an email I got from Aaron at Suncoast.......$638.96 is the price. Not in stock BUT here in the states. A few days for delivery....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY- PS Pump and Reservoir change