996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Recently picked this up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:07 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Recently picked this up!

I had recently been looking for a fun yet economical car recently and have always liked Volkswagon/Audi Group (VAG) cars for their peppy and practical options, since I first learned how to drive manual transmission on my bro's MKII Golf I have an affinity towards those cars, expecially GTI varients.

I really liked the MKIV body style ...So I was looking for either an R32 (5000 made in 2004), a 20th Anniversary Edition (4000 made in 2003), or a really rare 337 (1500 made in 2002) which I thought would be extra hard to find with the smaller build numbers. I could not find an any of these cars with under 40K miles and in really nice shape which hadn't been over modded or abused to within an inch of it's life or super lowered with audi, bentley, or Porsche wheels or roof racks or other kinds of mods I don't understand...so I kept looking....

So...Out of the blue I came up on a rare 337, single owner PCA member owned (he also had a beautiful RS America 964 chassis '94 which is one of my fav Porsches) for sale, the guy was an older retiree who was the original owner of this 337, the car is in new condition with only 27K original miles!!! ... best of all the car was only a couple of hundred miles away and so a buddy of mine and I rode up a couple of Sunday's ago and pick up this lettle gem as an early christmas present lol !

The car was perfect inside and out and drove just like new enven had the new car smell inside, the 337 is a such a fun car to drive...I love the Special items the 337 came with like the Recaro cloth 2 tone interior with perforated leather bits and brushed aluminum accents, the sports suspension perfectly lowered and the slightly bigger turbo, the BBS shotpeened wheels and NO Sunroof plus they only came in one color - Silver...which really looks nice with the wheels and they entire package.

So here are some pics...super fun car to drive, great fuel economy and pretty peppy also, had a blast taking her on a local fun run last weekend with a bunch of buddies with Porsches, Bimmers, Ferraris, and GTRs etc... and other faster cars, I was surprised by keeping the revs up and in the power band she held her own and was a blast to toss around in the corners!!

Click here for the pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriswalshphotography/sets/72157628184542749/

Last edited by sunir; 11-30-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:41 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Awesome MKIV Tony...the color stands out and 550 hp!!! Wowza!!!

Good to know there are a few VW guys on the forums, I've always loved these little cars, they are a blast to drive around!!

Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Was actually looking at these as well when looking to replace my old tired daily driver... Looked hard at a nice R32 but didn't like the mods that were on it, and the guy who owned it was a bit sketchy about the work done...

Mike

Old 11-30-2011, 05:25 PM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
Great find and great car! Those are such a blast - now I want one!!! Congrats sunir - I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!! Gotta love those Recaros! That entire package is just perfect and I really love the interior color combo. The only thing that would complete it is a center R32 exhaust!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:20 PM
hph
hph is on a distinguished road
Congrats! I too like the mkIV GTI's, R32's. Your mkIV looks sweet.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
the MkIV R32 is one of my favorite VWs of all time. I also recognize the wheels on your car Tony because years back I had an Audi TT 225. Those are great looking wheels but quite heavy if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Good find! Nice to see there are at least a couple out there that haven't been ruined with airbag suspension and roof racks .
How are the little VWs supposed to carry a bunch of lumber without a roof rack?

Congrats on your GTi pickup. That has the 1.8T engine right? It should hold it's value fairly well at this point. Those are great little machines.

Last edited by Carbon; 11-30-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Wow a lot of love on here for the little gti... Like Tony the VW golf will always hold a special place in my heart as well... I have always liked them and I first learned how to drive stick in my brother's mkII maroon with baige cloth interior... Since then I've always wanted one and now I finally got around to it getting one of the three mkIVs that I've liked... Initially I was looking at r32 but the 337 has the 1.8t engine, no sunroof, lower number build, cloth recaro interior, same big red VW brakes and a nice upgraded exhaust all from the factory... It sounds real nice on the road and the car is quite peppy... As long as you are in the powerband... The brakes are awesome also. Lastly I always liked the wheels on the 337 over he 30th aniversary & r32....and it was almost impossible to find Any of these cars under 40k miles and not beat up or over modded... So when I found this little gem the seller and I came together on a number that made sense and I had to go upto jersey and pick it up, and even swung by pats in south Philly for cheesesteaks on our way lol!!!! Mmmnnnn!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Personally (and sorry to whoever has one) I didn't enjoy driving the MK-IV GTI fast and around bends. The MK-IV always felt too heavy and clumsy to be sporty. Felt more like a solid hatchback with a stronger engine.
When I drove the new MK-V GTI when it first came out it just felt 10 times better in everything. It felt like a proper great handling car, lighter more powerful and sharper.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:37 AM
GOBEX is a jewel in the roughGOBEX is a jewel in the roughGOBEX is a jewel in the rough
I just traded my 07 GTI for an 08 R32 for my DD. Have owned a couple modded bugs in the past and a Jetta for a short time but the MK-V has been great performance wise and very comfortable and quiet. Would have appreciated a 6 speed in the R32 but you take what you can get.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
First new car I ever owned
same - MKV was the first new car i owned

definetly miss it and i was actually looking for a jazz blue or imola yellow 20th or R32 as daily as well !!!

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
^^^ Mark I was looking for those as well but they are very hard to find with low miles and not beat up or abused...I looked at a few and the they were torn up pretty bad... I looked for a while and finally stumbled upon my 337 in perfect condition with 27K miles but it took a while to find bro...

Nice MKV...at this rate of speed progression your next car will be a UGR Lambo...

Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
Nice MKV...at this rate of speed progression your next car will be a UGR Lambo...
yeah i loved that car. it was awesome. but with a BT kit the power just over powers front wheel drive and it becomes useless.... thats when i parted it out and got the E55 instead.

no UGR GTT in my near future, possibly a GTR.

already thinking of having Tony crank the power up some more

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 12-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
yeah i loved that car. it was awesome. but with a BT kit the power just over powers front wheel drive and it becomes useless.... thats when i parted it out and got the E55 instead.

no UGR GTT in my near future, possibly a GTR.

already thinking of having Tony crank the power up some more
whatever you end up with in the future within a year of ownership it will be destroying everthing on the street in typical Prodigy fashion hahaha lol!!!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Savetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud of
A lot of dubbers here I see.. I have owned my fair share of vag cars.. MKI rabbit diesel, MK3 stupidly low on wide wheels lol, Mk4 gti, mk4 jetta, B5 A4, B5 S4

th3 mk4 has a great look to it and it is a perfect daily driver

Old 12-01-2011, 02:11 PM
^^^ WOW that is a lot of vag! ...gonna have to start calling you Ron Jeremy from now on!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Recently picked this up!