996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coolant pipe repair. Parts needed....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:15 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Nunez
Appreciate all the help! looks like its $370 at amazon with free shipping!

Always good to take a look at amazon ;-) Nice find!!!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Problem is lift can't be delivered. Don't have a forklift, does anybody? Have to settle now with my jacks and lower the engine partially. Just finished using the FVD file reader for my new upgrade. Awaiting Germany to perform its magic! Then I will write the code in and BAM 530 HP!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Nunez
Problem is lift can't be delivered. Don't have a forklift, does anybody? Have to settle now with my jacks and lower the engine partially. Just finished using the FVD file reader for my new upgrade. Awaiting Germany to perform its magic! Then I will write the code in and BAM 530 HP!

Hummm… Was told the same thing on my Maxjax delivery (about 930 pounds) and the truck driver show up with an elevator in the back of his truck and a pallet jack to move it where I wanted to….. Funny because I am also waiting for Kevin (UMW) probe to flash my ECU But I won't be able to try it until another two months!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
Remember my words "Always depend how much digging you are willing to do" Do not get mad at me if some of them are difficult to reach Vantaredoc did all of them, impressive!!!! I think a small angle drill is a must in that case…..
I disassembled almost the entire top side of the engine! I used these exact procedures to do the "pinning"
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...n-the-car.html

Really was not hard. The only thing that got me was reinstalling the rubber boots back to the intake. I had one that rolled and I didn't see it until I was finished and noticed a pretty bad vacuum leak! I had to completely dismantle everything again So when I take her apart to change injectors and turbos, I will make a check list! Also, I took lots of pictures as it was my first time to work on a Porsche engine. Now I feel like a pro at taking her apart and putting her back together

Old 02-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Again, good job! And thanks for sharing this good link!

Last edited by jpflip; 02-21-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
I disassembled almost the entire top side of the engine! I used these exact procedures to do the "pinning"
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...n-the-car.html

Really was not hard. The only thing that got me was reinstalling the rubber boots back to the intake. I had one that rolled and I didn't see it until I was finished and noticed a pretty bad vacuum leak! I had to completely dismantle everything again So when I take her apart to change injectors and turbos, I will make a check list! Also, I took lots of pictures as it was my first time to work on a Porsche engine. Now I feel like a pro at taking her apart and putting her back together
Bad *** guys at this place!!!! You f£€¥% guys are AWESOME!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Banned
Update on my little coolant leak.

If you look close at picture 4, you can see the coolant is collecting below. Also, take a look at the "O" ring at the right; this is the coolant "O" ring. They are 26mm (ID) and 3mm thick. I had replacements but are not Porsche parts. I have not put anything back and thinking I might stop by the parts department and just get them. I believe this was my area of the coolant leak. I inspected the coolant housing and the hoses that are associated with coolant loop. All looks good. Champion Motorsports, makes aluminum elbows that are bellow picture 4. They attach thru the bottom with a screw and provide the coolant flow to the heat exchangers. They are neat but pricey. I have not dropped my engine yet but might have to if this does not fix it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	imag2.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	341313   Click image for larger version

Name:	imag3.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	341314   Click image for larger version

Name:	imag4.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	341315   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	341319   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	341320  

Last edited by Al Nunez; 03-02-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:02 PM
I've installed the Porsche part which are #14 in the parts cat picture part#99970740940. They are 26 x 3 and agree with you, you want to rebuild this portion properly because it is really deep and hidden behind lots of components and lines…. Good job so far!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran 2014-03-02 à 22.50.59.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	341326  

Last edited by jpflip; 03-02-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Banned
Smile

Nailed it! No more leaks! I can't beleive four little O rings caused me so much headache. Ran the car very hard and it seems to be ok. When I would do that before I would smell both coolant and see it. Thanks to all whom helped and I hope my experience will let everyone see that working on these cars is not difficult. This could have turned into a very expensive repair. Dealerships will do anything to scare and convince that you have a serious problem.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Good job Al!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Banned
Thanks jpflip! Still will be getting the lift Maxjax as soon as I can. Have to clean out the garage, got the lift table the other day. Have to pull the engine out to get a screw I dropped :-)

Old 03-03-2014, 05:12 PM
"a screw I dropped :-)" Ouch…Can you elaborate? Drop about where? There are not too many damage a screw on top of the engine can do? Magnetic? Curious !

Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Banned
Just on the side it's probably stuck between the exhaust and heat shield. It's the screw that secures a brace that attaches across both intake towers? Next to the fuel pump. It's item 16 support brace. I am sure it fell inside cylinder number two.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Good luck Al! Sorry about this misfortune.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Banned
I actually spent a considerable amount of time checking for signs of coolant residue everywhere. I used a swivel mirror and small led flashlight just about everywhere. I did not find any signs of the coolant assembly that was originally in this thread to be leaking. It must be just on a small percentage of these models. I have 55k miles on my 997 TT and overall it's been a great car. I have two heat exchanges compared to one in the 996 TT. The other one if it fails will definitely will require engine out. I could barely see it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Coolant pipe repair. Parts needed....