996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New to Porsche - Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Drew959 is a jewel in the roughDrew959 is a jewel in the roughDrew959 is a jewel in the rough
New to Porsche - Tuning Question

I just bought a 996 Turbo and I couldn't be more pleased!

I’ve searched and can’t find the answer to this simple question, how do you make adjustments to the ECU?

I understand the Durametric tool logs the ECU but can’t make any changes.People flash the ECU, how is it done?I come from the Mitsubishi Evo world where all you need is a free program and cable like the Durametric, then you can make any changes to fuel, timing, etc..

Can someone fill me in?

Thanks

Old 06-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Welcome,
generally speaking, I am estimating that $98% of the P car owners let the tuners do it.
there are very if any cost effective piggy back / tools that allow the end user control all the maps... and there are many.
flash is done either on the bench or remotely via obdII but required various toolers products to do so...
best
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Old 06-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Drew959 is a jewel in the roughDrew959 is a jewel in the roughDrew959 is a jewel in the rough

Yes! Thank you. This is what I'm looking for.

I can't believe there aren't more people out there looking to have a custom tune done locally opposed to a canned tune.

Have you used this? Now I have a name I can do more research...

Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Bahnburner is just really niceBahnburner is just really niceBahnburner is just really niceBahnburner is just really niceBahnburner is just really nice
For a good tune call Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:10 PM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
I have a GIAC via Sambo - never happier!

Old 06-06-2014, 07:30 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Thanks Tim very interesting

Old 06-06-2014, 09:40 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
pretty impressive. that usp car with that tune. sheesh. i would surely put that tune into consideration if i were re-tuning.

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 06-06-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:18 PM
carwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the rough
My car has been tuned with Maestro as well, and will be retuned locally utilizing it.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:00 PM
CBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to behold
Must admit that looks like a nice setup.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 PM
carwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the rough
But NOT for the novice, that's for sure.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:03 AM
mtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Drew959
Yes! Thank you. This is what I'm looking for.

I can't believe there aren't more people out there looking to have a custom tune done locally opposed to a canned tune.

Have you used this? Now I have a name I can do more research...
aftermarket software for porsche self tuning will be a lot of time consuming for research yourself (hard to find data) ! and if you buy these software you will be on your own for tuning and not much tuner out there will help you !and better have 20k in your bank in case you destroy you engine ,but gain can be fantastic ! see my old post
this is not mitsu or volk world where guys share data on the net ..
btw TIM is an expert in these software and the guy out there that can help you before you buy
GL

Old 06-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mtlsp
aftermarket software for porsche self tuning will be a lot of time consuming for research yourself (hard to find data) ! and if you buy these software you will be on your own for tuning and not much tuner out there will help you !and better have 20k in your bank in case you destroy you engine ,but gain can be fantastic ! see my old post
btw TIM is an expert in these software and the guy out there that can help you before you buy
GL
Well put... this is not a $1500 evo block and you must know what your doing.
mind you, there is a reason why only a hand full of tuners can do this... lots of R&D and resources required.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by mtlsp
GL

I've found this to be true, there's very little information available on tuning Porsche's online... and yes a mistake would be devastatingly expensive. That's why people can charge so much for a tune.

Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Well put... this is not a $1500 evo block and you must know what your doing.
mind you, there is a reason why only a hand full of tuners can do this... lots of R&D and resources required.
markski

Yes this is a different ball game in terms of $, but isn't tuning tuning? If I can read and understand a wideband, spark plus, knock and EGTs shouldn't I have the ability to tune? I'm not sure what I'm missing?

Old 06-09-2014, 12:05 PM
mtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond repute
i would say if you have min exp with tuning like you said(spark,egt,etc..) you like the trill to risk ,then try to learn the me7.8 ecu how it work (very complicated system but interesting stuff )... then compare files with buddy's who want to share ,do logs and work your base flash a little at the time in heat vs cold temp etc...! if your comfortable with that then why not
i did it with awesome gains and i would do it again ...

Originally Posted by Drew959
I've found this to be true, there's very little information available on tuning Porsche's online... and yes a mistake would be devastatingly expensive. That's why people can charge so much for a tune.

Yes this is a different ball game in terms of $, but isn't tuning tuning? If I can read and understand a wideband, spark plus, knock and EGTs shouldn't I have the ability to tune? I'm not sure what I'm missing?

Last edited by mtlsp; 06-09-2014 at 01:04 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche - Tuning Question