996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

help with #16 check valve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 04:21 PM
alwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
^ that's really good info. Also once you are testing you should hear it almost "whistle" though perhaps mine was trying to help me. Took me awhile for..me? ..us, to figure it out.
Understood. The ironic part is the leak developed after an install by a shop of Markski's 911 tuning inlet. Maybe the check valve got disturbed or just coincidence it just went bad at the same time. Regardless, I have been on the quest to find this leak lol. I replaced my diverter valves already thinking they were bad, but after a quick finger test of the old diverter valves 710N's I knew they weren't the culprit. Hoping its this 16 check valve and I can move onto better things like chasing down Vettes and GTR's

Old 07-24-2015, 04:29 PM
MalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud of
Once you pressure up the system take a length of vacuum tubing and use it like a stethoscope. You can pin point the exact location of leaks with some practice and checking.
When check valve #16 is broke though and you remove that hard hose off the turbo intake on the driver's side the air is just blowing out and you can feel it with your hand. Other leaks are generally much smaller.
Or best case find a friend with a smoke machine pressure tester. Those are life savers.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:40 PM
alwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
Once you pressure up the system take a length of vacuum tubing and use it like a stethoscope. You can pin point the exact location of leaks with some practice and checking.
When check valve #16 is broke though and you remove that hard hose off the turbo intake on the driver's side the air is just blowing out and you can feel it with your hand. Other leaks are generally much smaller.
Or best case find a friend with a smoke machine pressure tester. Those are life savers.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. I will try this and get back to everyone.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:41 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
you'll get it. we all do sooner or later. wish this thread was here when i first looked at it sideways for a few days lol. GL.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:11 AM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by alwaysnboost
before starting a new thread-It seems I'm having somewhat the same issue. I boost pressure test at lower intercooler hoses and 5-6 psi is held before air after 5-8 seconds starts leaking inside air inlet hose. It is not an external boost leak(torn hose or intercooler pipe) but an internal where the air is pushing back into the inlet hose. I noticed this when removing airbox and sticking a garden hose inside the inlet and hearing the air. Normal? Any suggestions? Could it be the dreaded 16 check valve?
Yep, sounds like it's the #16. I know they have some in Stock in Atlanta. Like MalcomV8 said disconnect the small black hard pipe that's on the inlet hose before the turbo and see if air is coming out when you pressure test it. If it is then your #16 is bad.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by 007-911
Yep, sounds like it's the #16. I know they have some in Stock in Atlanta. Like MalcomV8 said disconnect the small black hard pipe that's on the inlet hose before the turbo and see if air is coming out when you pressure test it. If it is then your #16 is bad.
Thanks. I will confirm tonight and report back.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by MalcolmV8

As you advised, I boost pressure tested again with hard plastic hose off. NO air seems to be coming from it so I reinstalled. I did however take a garden hose (told to do by Marski and another member here) and stuck it into my inlet. I took the hose and channeled it through the first side pipe inside the inlet that seems to route to the F pipe. Air is definetly passing from that pipe. I place my hand inside that pipe and can block off the air. Am I chasing something that maybe normal? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a pic. Look immediately to the right- that tunnel is where I feel and hear the air coming into the inlet from.

I also have a brand new set of Forge diverters and Forge F pipe sent to me by Sam last week. Didn't fix the problem but figured I might as well use them

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	inlet hose.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	424773  
Old 07-26-2015, 12:51 PM
MalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud ofMalcolmV8 has much to be proud of
You know I could hear some air coming out my inlet pipe too so that may be normal. I was confirming on the pressure gauge that it was holding pressure once I removed the air compressor so deemed it OK.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 AM
FOUND AND FIXED BOOST LEAK THANKS TO MARKSKI! I owe the world to Mark. Up late with me on a Sunday while he was at the dinner table this man literally walked me through every possible issue. Thanks to picture sharing back and fourth we were able to pinpoint the problem. Basically the shop that installed my inlet crossed two hoses. The one that that runs from bottom of solenoid under diverter valves and the one that runs from left of throttle body. Mark really knows these cars and his reputation shows his experience. Lots of people tried to help me locate this boost leak and he found it. The guy is amazing at his craft and really really knows these cars. It's a great feeling knowing that we have him in the Porsche community and he's always there to help. Thanks again Mark! You're the man!!!!

Old 07-27-2015, 10:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alwaysnboost
FOUND AND FIXED BOOST LEAK THANKS TO MARKSKI! I owe the world to Mark. Up late with me on a Sunday while he was at the dinner table this man literally walked me through every possible issue. Thanks to picture sharing back and fourth we were able to pinpoint the problem. Basically the shop that installed my inlet crossed two hoses. The one that that runs from bottom of solenoid under diverter valves and the one that runs from left of throttle body. Mark really knows these cars and his reputation shows his experience. Lots of people tried to help me locate this boost leak and he found it. The guy is amazing at his craft and really really knows these cars. It's a great feeling knowing that we have him in the Porsche community and he's always there to help. Thanks again Mark! You're the man!!!!
Thanks for the kind words. I knew it was going to be something simple just needed to isolate it. Glad you fixed it.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Thanks for the kind words. I knew it was going to be something simple just needed to isolate it. Glad you fixed it.
Couldn't do it without you! Thanks again you saved me a lot of time and money! Your inlet is a great power adder and can't wait to put the car back together.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:03 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Curious, what is the symptoms of a bad #16 valve? Thx..

Old 03-21-2017, 01:12 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Curious, what is the symptoms of a bad #16 valve? Thx..
when mine was found to be cracked, it was suspected as there was a minor vac leak and once we pressure tested from the turbo's checking all hoses etc, and working our way diagnostically up the intake, the #16 was about as far as you can go near the plenum. once there, the air escaping could easily be heard.

it's cheap brittle plastic and.. well you know the rest.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:32 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
when mine was found to be cracked, it was suspected as there was a minor vac leak and once we pressure tested from the turbo's checking all hoses etc, and working our way diagnostically up the intake, the #16 was about as far as you can go near the plenum. once there, the air escaping could easily be heard.

it's cheap brittle plastic and.. well you know the rest.
Cool. Thx. I was just curious what effect that valve has (when leaking) on the operation of the engine. Obviously if the #16 check valve is stuck open, you will have a slight boost leak as a result of it. If stuck closed, it should not really effect anything from a performance standpoint (but will have a negative effect from an emissions standpoint?)

What is the actual reason for the #16 check valve there? I gather that at idle, it allows fuel vapors from the EVAP canister to be sucked in thought the valve and into the throttle body (which is creating vacuum at idle) to be burned by the engine. When on boost, the valve is naturally closed and fuel vapors will get sucked in though line #19 which connects to the intake just ahead of the drives side turbo. On boost the pre turbo intake will have vacuum which will provide sucking action through line #19.

The reason I ask this is that I believe I have a faulty EVAP purge valve (#14) which is tripping the P0444 code. Since getting the P0444 code, my hot idle has been a bit erratic also. On hot engine start up, it has actually stalled a couple of times and struggled to settle into a smooth idle. Curious how all this may be related. I will be changing the #14 purge valve and may change #16 also since it's right there. I was just curious if anyone actually understands or can explain the workings and reason for the #16 or #14 valves with any kind of certainty. My assumption above is based purely on looking at the diagrams.

Smart guys, chime on in please...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SXvZXB]

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-22-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Cool. Thx. I was just curious what effect that valve has (when leaking) on the operation of the engine.
all i ever looked for, to make the determination the #16 was bad, was search for the leak. so for me, the symptoms were just that. a vac leak, resulting, mainly in boost loss, which certainly makes sense given it's a component of the intake, no? so yeah, i guess "vac leak = boost loss" were the actual "symptoms.

Obviously if the #16 check valve is stuck open, you will have a slight boost leak as a result of it. If stuck closed, it should not really effect anything from a performance standpoint (but will have a negative effect from an emissions standpoint?)
mine ( afaik? ) wasn't "stuck" per se, but rather just hairline "cracked" and did in fact result in loss of power/boost as i've said..

What is the actual reason for the #16 check valve there?
now, that ? i have no idea lol

but gl with finding the problem, as i'm sure you will. still, it amazes me sometimes the number of little things that can plague the smooth and optimal daily running of these cars, that often escape proper identification for so long!

Smart guys, chime on in please...
but i do know when to "take my leave" ha.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: help with #16 check valve