996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My experience with GT2RS intercoolers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 01:25 PM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
My experience with GT2RS intercoolers

So i did a full 4th gear pull....
I got stock intake, billets, 630injectors and exhaust.

Pull starts at 2994Rpm, intake temps at 24degrees celsius (75F)
And ended at 7351rpm and the intake temp was at 50! degrees celsius (122F)

This was measured with durametric.

Is this normal figures with these intercoolers?
I was hoping they performed a bit better..

Old 05-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
Whats the temps outside? Your pulling timing at those temps. Those gt2rs intercoolers are not good.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
Ohh i forgot, 21-22C outside (70F)

Does anyone else have any similar measurements with gt2rs coolers?

Old 05-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
actually you wont start pulling any timing until your at 150* or better. at 122* the car shouldnt be pulling any timing. with temp increase of only about 45* thats great for a full pull in 4th

Old 05-30-2016, 03:18 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
They work pretty well but are limited to around 600whp or the end tanks pop off.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:03 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Instead of saying they're no good without providing any comparative data whatsoever, why don't we actually ask about OP's setup to see if there's another issue going on here?

Ronny, how much boost are you running? Did you do a boost leak check on the car after putting it back together?

Can you post the actual log?

The temps seem on the high side for a single 4th gear pull. I would expect 15-20C over ambient in a single 4th gear pull at ~1.3 bar of boost and those ambient temps. You shouldn't be seeing much over 40C in those conditions unless you're in 1.5 bar + territory.

As a quick check, temps shouldn't budge much at all in 3rd gear (try that with a Bell or Treadstone core...). As 32krazy said, it's good, but not as good as I would expect (unless you're running a good bit of boost)

Last edited by earl3; 05-30-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys, i have posted the logs here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pafspw83nj...hgear.xls?dl=0

Skip to line 1450 for the pull.
I had a small leak in the venturi tube, i have replaced that now, but havent been able to do any new pulls.
Im running a markski tune and we are not 100% done with the setup, pending the results after the venturi tube change and check of the actuators.

So i need to figure out if these temps are normal, or i have a issue i should sort.
For instance i have billets from a norwegian company, and the gt2 wing with its forced induction (through the pillars to the wing), also standard airbox and intake.
So maybe these are factors as weell that causes the high temps.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:37 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Air through the gt2 wing, assuming it's sealed well, will draw cool air. Can't speak to the intercoolers but tune will effect IAT.

I have old skool k24 hybrids, my passenger side intercooler is instrumented with a gauge. I see drops of 90+ degrees pulling through 4th on SRM coolers. Outlet temps are above ambient but I don't recall how high and my measurement wasn't IAT but exit temps. I fully expect to be posting a huge amount of data on these as soon as I get my car back. I'll be beyond shocked if the GT2RS can keep up...

Old 05-30-2016, 08:26 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
On a 70 degree day with back to back pulls, I will see roughly 20F degree temp increases through my SRM intercoolers. I'm still on stock K16's and could argue they're gonna generate a lot more heat than billets.

I entertained the idea of GT2RS intercoolers in the beginning but after reading a decent amount of bad press, this included now, I'm happy I went with SRM.

Last edited by BauerR; 05-31-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
I'm ordering the 4.5 inch SRM intercoolers. I am excited plus i need them for the power im running with hot weather.

Last edited by 996tt550hp; 05-31-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:19 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I wasn't running tons of boost previously, I'll be running a good bit now but it will be ramped. I can easily turn it down for testing. I have no way to record the readings from my differential gauge but come Winter when I'm comfortable with my engine management I may pull the driver's side intercooler for instrumentation. Until then I will be able to get numbers on IAT, boost, egt, backpressure, and mph here soon. I can do a visual on the differential gauge to see how much I'm dropping or what intake or outlet temps look like.

I have a sneaking suspicion we pick up a decent amount of heat from intercooler exit to IAT but it's just a gut feel that I hope to validate. I'll now have a fabricated Y-pipe, billet plenum, and larger throttlebody. I'll be drawing air from alongside the intercooler ducting which remains sealed so intake restriction SHOULD be far less - I may instrument this to check for restriction. If I see temps climb much from IC exit to IAT I'll be insulating to try and reduce it! Lava wrap and gold foil?

Honestly my biggest issue is likely going to be finding room to test! My setup may be too much apples to oranges for others but my intent is to test and share, we need more data! I look forward to Pwdr getting his car on the track with the uber cores and good data acquisition too as I expect his will work even better at some $ cost. I still want to see data from side scoops too and might be willing to try them.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:02 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
7351 RPM? Stock motor, except injectors?
For my taste these ICs work pretty well.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:34 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Here's a log with SRM's.
As stated earlier, I can imagine stock K16's will generate a crap ton more heat than any of the upgrades, especially at 1.2bar.

This is run number 2 of back-to-back runs. I should also note that I have an open "fabspeed style" airbox.

Attached Files
File Type: csv
datalog2.csv (8.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-31-2016, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by BauerR
Here's a log with SRM's.
As stated earlier, I can imagine stock K16's will generate a crap ton more heat than any of the upgrades, especially at 1.2bar.

This is run number 2 of back-to-back runs. I should also note that I have an open "fabspeed style" airbox.

I need a log with a fourth gear pull to compare.

Id really like to see some one elses 4th gear pull with gt2rs ICs, as i need to know if this is how hot they get, or if there is something wrong with my setup

Old 05-31-2016, 01:40 PM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996tt550hp
Whats the temps outside? Your pulling timing at those temps. Those gt2rs intercoolers are not good.
This sort of blanket statement regarding performance components is almost impossible to make, and in this case, not accurate. "Not very good for my needs" might be more accurate.

All you have to do is search the forums here: you'll find plenty of info that shows that, aside from very high $ IC cores like powdrhnd is working with (in conjunction with SRM) in his "Ultimate Intercooler" thread, the only ICs that work worth a poop for longer runs - such as a road race - are the GT2 RS ICs. On a short acceleration run, a big, heavy IC acts as a heat sink and will keep the intake charge cooler longer than the GT2RS ICs. But big, heavy ICs will remain hot throughout following braking/acceleration cycles if they follow quickly - such as in a road race. And, where people are drilling aluminum parts to save weight, they are generally very heavy.

But for the 1/4 mile, big, heavy aftermarket ICs are likely better.

Search earl's posts. He has done more than any other person or company here on the forums regarding comparative research on intercoolers.

And I have no idea what sort of cores SRM is using in their 4.5" ICs. All I know is that Blkmgk has a set and is hoping that they are really good

Last edited by stevemfr; 05-31-2016 at 02:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My experience with GT2RS intercoolers