996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Slopeslider is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Stebuga
At last I have the mini Ipad installed on my baby ! By now, and until I do not solve the problem of major charging request of retina display, I have installed an old JVC connected to earphone line out of Ipad .
I hope to find soon a usb car radio that can provide power enough!

Looks great!

Why not run an aux switched power to the iPad and connect to the head unit via Bluetooth?

Old 08-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Stebuga is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your suggestion.
Connecting via BT could be ok, but first I want to find a BT-Usb car radio that could allow me to connect Ipad both ways, so that I could choose what it seems better for sound, Ipad managing, reliability.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Johnstof is on a distinguished road
Antenna Adapters and Power Requirement

To: Rob/Slopeslider
I'm in the process of installing my system now and I'm addressing this to you because your setup is the one I am emulating. I am keeping the OEM CDR-23 head unit and using the Scoshe interface.

What antenna adapters did you use? Looks like Metra 40-EU30 is a two adapter kit that includes both the male and female for connecting the HU to the Scosche. Is that what you used?

Also, my iPad is the mini 2 with retina display. It came with a 10W cube, not the smaller 5W one that comes with an iPhone. I'm not sure what iPad model you have but do you know if this 10W requirement will be an issue.

Thanks
John

Old 08-02-2015, 01:31 PM
I’ve thoroughly read this entire thread and am in the process of upgrading now. I have a few questions that I hope you can answer. I am going a route that is very similar, if not identical to, Slopeslider’s setup.

My existing state:
2003 Carrera, MOST, Bose, CDR-23 Headunit

Purchased/Needed items:
1. iPad Mini iPad Mini 2
2. Scosche IPFMRDS
3. 30 pin to 8 pin adapter (since Scosche only has 30 pin plug)
4. Lower HVAC trim bezel (996.552.339.00-01C)
5. USB extension cable
6. Euro antenna adapters (to connect Scosche to head unit) – Metra 40-EU30 (??? Not sure yet if this is what I need)
7. Do I need any other items? I just realized that I needed the antenna adapters which I will order as soon as I'm sure the 40-EU30 is the right set so not having those are causing a delay.

Two more questions:
1. Where do I get the power from to supply to the Scosche? I think it needs to be from a switched power source. Does anyone have photos of where/how to tap into a suitable supply? I recall someone recommending using the phone plug and I have a link to those instructions (assuming this is a good method).
2. Is there a way to have the screen dim (for night time driving) either automatically or through a simple screen command? I know that I can set the iPad to automatically adjust brightness. Is this sufficient?

Old 08-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Lower console side panels

me again... with another question.

I hear it's somewhat tricky to move the HVAC wiring harnesses from the original location to the lower spot on the lower console.

I think (but am not sure) that I may need to remove the side panels of the lower console. Do these just pull out or is there a special trick?

I think removing them may also be how I can find the unused phone wire for power.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Johnstof
me again... with another question.

I hear it's somewhat tricky to move the HVAC wiring harnesses from the original location to the lower spot on the lower console.

I think (but am not sure) that I may need to remove the side panels of the lower console. Do these just pull out or is there a special trick?

I think removing them may also be how I can find the unused phone wire for power.
They should pull down with no issue. I don't recall it being a challenge. Do. Search on Rennlist for switched power and there is a thread on how to locate the phone power. It's located on the bottom left side of the console just under the carpet. Pull off the carpeted side cover reach down under the carpet and it should be right there. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Thanks Rob. I moved the HVAC harness and it was not that difficult. I also found the unconnected phone harness right behind the driver side carpet panel. Perfect. Removing the other side panel with the subwoofer was a bear but I managed to move it enough to remove the final screw holding the lower console in place. After some modest trimming, the CDR23 head unit fits perfectly.

Stefano, if you figure out how to charge your iPad Mini 2 please advise. I am about to install my Mini 2 and am now very concerned the scosche unit I'm using in my setup will not charge the mini.

I don't want to sell my brand new mini 2 (maybe I can still return it) and buy a mini 1.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Mini 2 needs more power

Just hit a nasty setback. The scosche IPFMRDS does not provide enough power to charge the mini 2 or 3. I just bought a brand new mini 2 and I think I'm going to have to return it. Now I'm shopping eBay for a first gen mini.

Before I do does anyone know of a solution? I'm definitely keeping my CDR23 stock headunit. The scosche seems like a very good way to interface the mini to the HU and provide switched power. But I need more power.

Alas I think I'm going to need to buy a mini 1.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:12 AM

Just hit a nasty setback. The scosche IPFMRDS does not provide enough power to charge the mini 2 or 3. I just bought a brand new mini 2 and I think I'm going to have to return it. Now I'm shopping eBay for a first gen mini.

Before I do does anyone know of a solution? I'm definitely keeping my CDR23 stock headunit. The scosche seems like a very good way to interface the mini to the HU and provide switched power. But I need more power.

Alas I think I'm going to need to buy a mini 1.

Instead of the Sosche unit go with the TranzitBluHF Bluetooth transmitter hooks up the same as the Sosche unit but you can hook the iPad up to an independent power source. I am currently running both simultaneously in a series. Using the TranzitBluHF for my iPhone and Sosche for my iPad and works flawlessly.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:35 PM
robilium is on a distinguished road
Help with the deck

Hi guys! Hoping you can help me.

I can't seem to get my speakers to work when I replaced my head unit (CDR-220) in my 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera 4.

I don't believe I have an amp, just the CD Changer. I have included a picture of the trunk below to be sure.

The connectors I have show
---- the Porsche Yellow Green and Blue connectors going into Connector C on the CDR-220
---- nothing in Connector B on the CDR-220
---- the Porsche black connector into Connector A on the CDR-220

I have plugged the color connectors into the Metra's 70-1787 Single Red connector. I plugged the black connector into the section of the Metra's Black connector where the colored wires are.

Metra Black connector wires
---- All gray/white wires are unused? (or am I supposed to connect one of the colored connectors to this for hard wired speakers?
---- Black matched to Pin 8 Ground ----> Connected to Pioneer Ground (black)?
---- Yellow matches to Pin 7 Ignition? ---> Connect to Pioneer Ignition (Red)
---- Orange matches to Pin 6 Lumination? Is this unused for the Pioneer?
---- Red matches to Pin 4 Constant 12v ---> Connect to Pioneer Ignition (Yellow)

Metra Red connector
---- RCA plugs connect ---> Connect to the back of the Pioneer and their RCA openings
---- WHAT DOES THE BLUE WIRE CONNECT TO? It seems to infer it has to plug to something to turn the amp on? I tried connecting it to the blue wire (Antenna) on the Pioneer.

The behavior I see is that the radio will turn on and off as expected and operate however I get no sound I am assuming either the Metra blue wire or Orange has to connect to something different? Or possibly I need to not use the RCA wires and plug one of the color connectors into the black Metra connector and use the gray wires to hard wire speakers?

Also a pic below of the iPad install

Old 08-09-2015, 10:59 PM
Need help with the Scosche

I am near completion but am having trouble with getting the Scosche to work. Thru troubleshooting here are a few observations:
1) it seems to work fine with an iPhone 4. The 30 pin connector plugs right in and plays music fine
2) although it plays music the cdr23 head unit display just says "attached". It doesn't state the artist or anything else.
3) when I attached an Apple brand 30 pin to lightening plug adapter to connect an iPhone 5 or my iPad mini I get no audio from them. I just hear the fuzzy fm station
4) the iPhone 5 charges when connected in this setup so I know the adapter is working at least somewhat.
5) the iPad mini says "not charging" when connected.

Suggestions?

Old 08-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Ditching the Scoshce

I couldn't get the Scosche IPFMRDS to work. I know others have had success but I couldn't get it to work with either my iPhone 5 nor iPad mini. Both have the lightning connector. An iPhone 4 works fine.

I used an Apple Brand 30 pin to Lightning adapter that I bought at Target. I also tried another I bought from Best Buy. No success.

I called Scosche Tech Support and he told me the unit is discontinued and not designed for iPhone 5. I told him others had success with the adapter but he told me it could be hit or miss depending on the vintage of the IPFMRDS and the version of iOS. I'm at 8.4.

Moving on...

I bought a iSimple Tranzit Link. It has a lightning plug so no adapter needed. And it works very well. I'm very pleased with the sound quality.

But there are two issues:
1) when I turn the head unit on the station I selected has a lot of static (the Tranzit Link hasn't taken over the station yet). If I select another station and then immediately go back the static is gone and now the unit is ready to send my ipad audio to the head unit. I don't know why I have to cycle it off and then on the station. A little annoying.
2) it is not RDS capable so the only thing my head unit displays is the FM Frequency. I'd really like it to display the song and even allow me to skip songs with the radio controls. this way I could control my music while something else is displayed (such as Waze).

So... long post longer....
Can anyone recommend another FM modulator that is designed for later model iPads and iPhone with the lightning connectors? I want it to be able to connect to and charge my iPad. And I want it to resolve items 1 and 2 above.

Thanks
John

Old 08-12-2015, 03:31 PM
One more thing: I do not want an FM transmitter. I want an FM modulator that is connected to the head unit through the antenna. From what I've read and from my experience, these provide a much better sound quality and are less prone to interference. They interrupt the antenna signal so there is less competition with outside airwaves.

The aforementioned iSimple Tranzit Link is an FM Modulator.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:40 PM

One more thing: I do not want an FM transmitter. I want an FM modulator that is connected to the head unit through the antenna. From what I've read and from my experience, these provide a much better sound quality and are less prone to interference. They interrupt the antenna signal so there is less competition with outside airwaves.

The aforementioned iSimple Tranzit Link is an FM Modulator.
Try the TranzitBluHF. It is RDS compatible and should do exactly what your looking for. Hooks up the same as the Sosche unit. Connects to the iPad via BT. Tap a cig lighter adapter into the switched power to charge your iPad mini and you should be set.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Do you know if the audio quality from a Bluetooth connection is as good as thru the lightning plug?

I guess wiring a USB cigarette plug into the switched 12v line should be fairly straightforward.

I know you used this device for connecting your phone. Nice way to talk hands free. But I guess using it for the ipad would be fine too.

Solves the lack of RDS issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]