996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
Ok. I completed, well mostly, this after 5 hours. The previous owner had installed a full din and the wiring was too short to move down. I removed the non factory wiring and then started fresh. My cuts on the one side of the horseshoe are not exactly straight, but I clean that up in the near future. Overall it looks great and operates perfectly. As other have said the pioneer orange does not match the OE color, but it works for know. Thanks to all, especially PFBZ and Mspross.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Mspross is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pfbz
Very nice! Looks like you are a skitch fan as well?
Definitely am! It definitely gets the job done. Thanks again pfbz for opening up this thread. One of the best mods out there.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Mspross is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Whereitsat
Ok. I completed, well mostly, this after 5 hours. The previous owner had installed a full din and the wiring was too short to move down. I removed the non factory wiring and then started fresh. My cuts on the one side of the horseshoe are not exactly straight, but I clean that up in the near future. Overall it looks great and operates perfectly. As other have said the pioneer orange does not match the OE color, but it works for know. Thanks to all, especially PFBZ and Mspross.
Awesome! Just saw your message about the lower cubby, what was the issue? If you have any additional tips that pfbz and I didn't outline, throw them out there.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
Here it is:

I still have to run the sat antenna. But all else is running.

To install the radio in the upper cubby, I had to file the left side of the pocket down an 1/8th or so for the radio sleeve to slide in. That was it. Having the carbon fiber trim made me hesitant about grinding away. I finally decided the worst thing that could happen is I buy a new assembly. Thanks again all.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	996 center ipad.jpeg
Views:	359
Size:	507.1 KB
ID:	282252  
Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
With the Pioneer, go to the "custom" color and dial it in by tweeking the three color bands. I had it matched perfectly. Then down the road I had to disconnect the battery for a door repair and never wrote down combo I had. One day I will get it just right again and post the R, G, B combo. Each go from 0-99.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mspross
Good luck! Take pics when your'e done!

I think I read somewhere, that there are dremel bits for plastic, that you can pick up at Lowes/Home Depot. I didn't have them, but, it may be worth looking into.
Yep. There are cutting disc just for plastic. Makes great strait cut without that melting junk on the edges. That is how I got mine so clean. No one that has been in my car can tell I did anything to the car.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Well I purchased a mini for the permanent installation. The one I used originally is my white travel one. The new is black. It blends much better. However, after updating to ios7, pandora no longer displays on the iPad, just an image displaying that the iPad and stereo are connected. Is there a way to have the app run as normal on the iPad? I prefer to use it rather than the HU.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
you needed to wait until a new jailbreak is released for ios7 only jailbreak works on 6.1.1 os

Old 09-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
I was ready to pick up a used mini already jailbroken, now going to wait for mini 2 with retina display due out in November, it will never end!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Is there a way to have the app run as normal on the iPad?
What head unit are you running? With the pioneer, it locks into the radio controls pretty tightly, even when jailbroken.

I use Pandora when I want control with the head unit, Slacker when I want control on the iPad.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:51 AM
IvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to behold
pfbz: I didn't read all 14 pages, so forgive me if this is a repeat/out-dated problem ... but given you are jailbroken, you might want to look into an app called ScreenDimmer. It has an option to keep the device unlocked while on-charge. This would allow you to set the timeout time, but when the power is on it will not turn off. You could then still leave your activator trigger to turn off immediately on power off, and when you sync manually (turning it on) your timeout will still trigger. Obviously you can modify the plist (forget which offhand) to change the timeout to any time you want, (if 10 minutes is not long enough).

As a side note, when I was doing a setup like this, I used to power on the device by unlocking the doors. I had the device plugged into a Dension 500 for power and it would come on for a little time while the car doors were unlocked. I would then go onto itunes and sync it ... also, if you want to control the device more specifically, you can install veency

Last edited by IvanRaide; 10-16-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by IvanRaide
pfbz: I didn't read all 14 pages, so forgive me if this is a repeat/out-dated problem ... but given you are jailbroken, you might want to look into an app called ScreenDimmer. It has an option to keep the device unlocked while on-charge. This would allow you to set the timeout time, but when the power is on it will not turn off. You could then still leave your activator trigger to turn off immediately on power off, and when you sync manually (turning it on) your timeout will still trigger. Obviously you can modify the plist (forget which offhand) to change the timeout to any time you want, (if 10 minutes is not long enough).

As a side note, when I was doing a setup like this, I used to power on the device by unlocking the doors. I had the device plugged into a Dension 500 for power and it would come on for a little time while the car doors were unlocked. I would then go onto itunes and sync it ... also, if you want to control the device more specifically, you can install veency
Thanks for the suggestions... Activator with the Pioneer head unit is working quite well, though the accelerometer turn on/off feature of screen dimmer might work great for other applications.

Veency will be a nice addition... Should allow me to do the occasional admin tasks on my hard mounted iPad from my macbook air instead of while sitting in the car.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM
BruceH is on a distinguished road
Here is my iPad mini installed in my 2001 Boxster. Thanks to the OP for this thread and inspiration! The install turned out great IMO with just a few headaches. Relocating my CDR-220 to the lower console was a bit difficult since the harness was just a bit too short to fully pull out the radio. I solved that by cutting an access point on the left side of the lower console. Here is a shot of the finished product!

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	300103  
Old 11-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Beautiful Bruce!!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM
BruceH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kevin M
Beautiful Bruce!!
Thanks! Here is a wide shot:

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	300192  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]