996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Change Windshield or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
Change Windshield or not?

Imported my C2 from CA USA a few years back and when I got it, it had a lot of very deep stone chips or sand storm damage on its windshield. The local paint shop and those offering windshield polishing services tried polishing the glass with a grinder and rubbng compund plus sandpaper with no success Not really a major problem although it looks really annoying because the windshield always looks dirty and dusty even after a bath!

I checked around the local windshield store and chanced upon this replacement windshield from Taiwan. Cost in US $s is around $1000 inclusive of installation but they cannot provide the outside mounting moulding rubber frame. They really look identical: the color (tint at the top part), size (we laid the new windshield on top of the old one and they are identical in size), even the very thin wire that runs from the right passenger side of the glass to the top and down to the center was there. I ofcourse do not have a way of checking the thickness of both windshields

Questions - Should I change the windshield? Possibilities of Leak or visual distortion for a replacement WS? Will the dash and some electronics get affected by this job? What do you guys think? Will you do it if you had this problem?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
IMO, I would change it but I would not use glass from Tiawan. I priced OEM here in Florida and it was $1000 installed. Do a search, there's a company out of the Chezk Republic that makes Porsche replacement windshields as well. If you can wait, I'll look at mine when I get home and see who made it as mine was replaced at the dealer when I bought it.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 AM
It's no rush. I can wait. What seem to be wrong with Taiwan made windshields? Any specific flaw?

Also, I noticed that there was no metal imbedded in the windshield for re-mounting the rearview mirror. Does this mean I have to re-glue the whole thing? I hope the glass store does this as well.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 AM
white99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of lightwhite99c2 is a glorious beacon of light
www.safelite.com

Mine was hit with a rock and cracked 2 weeks ago. They replaced it and the stip that goes under it as we'll as the exterior trim around the windshield. I have Geico with $0 deductible for glass coverage. It cost me not a penny.
I did have to do a little legwork, they called North Scottsdale Porsche and had me go there and pick up the 2 stips I mentioned above on my way to their shop. It took an hour to do, amazing to watch it done, and crystal clear glass.

$583 out the door paid by Geico.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I had my windshield replaced last year. I think the two best brands to use are Sekurit (Porsche OEM) or Pilkington. Pilkington is the OEM supplier to BMW and others. I had a Pilkington windshield installed in my 996 and it looks identical to my original windshield. It had the radio antenna wire and the cam-lock button to install the mirror.

I am glad I did it.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Ok as promised here is what the dealer put in Saint-Gobain Sekurit from the Czch Republic, as mentioned in prior post it's Porsche OEM.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 AM
An these were the markings on the Taiwan replacement glass...

anything crucially wrong with Taiwan replacement windshields? Would like to know in particular if they're flawed in terms of vision quality, durabilty, thickness, etc...?

Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 AM
I would strongly reccomend against this glass. Distortions issues, poor quality, bad fogging....

Here is a customer review and there are many more out there just like these...

the OEM windshield in a timely manner.While the new unit was sitting on the stand I noticed the corner said it was made by "XYG" a chinese manufacture.If you google the DOT #563 you will see how many people have been screwed by XYG! This new windshield is cloudy when under 70 degrees! The distortion is VERY bad, if you look at dots on the road they are all over the place.In cool weather you MUST run the defogger/heater all the time or it clouds up.Wiping it with a cloth on the inside does not help,running the wipers wont clear it either

Another:
XYJ is the worst quality out there. Safelite is not much better whether it be their glass or installs. Find a glass company that installs either PPG or Pilkington glass. Best quality out there. Also ask what adhesive they use. SIKA is your top of the line, specifically SIKA ASAP.

Go oem, or perhaps PPG

Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
An these were the markings on the Taiwan replacement glass...

anything crucially wrong with Taiwan replacement windshields? Would like to know in particular if they're flawed in terms of vision quality, durabilty, thickness, etc...?