996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

In this economy does anyone feel bad being blessed beyond measure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Natrby is on a distinguished road
In this economy does anyone feel bad being blessed beyond measure

I live in the one redlight town with people living below the poverty rate, it might be me but sometimes I'm just embarrassed to drive my car through town, I'm looking all around me and all I see is struggle, maybe it's just me.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 AM
GT2 Steve is on a distinguished road
Giving up some personal time to help the community will help those in need and you get the benefit of feeling good for helping others.

You probably worked hard and sacrifised for what you have so I wouldn't feel bad.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Not really. I *started* below the poverty line (child of a single parent, deadbeat dad). Everything I have is result of hard work, perseverance and sound decision making. Nothing was handed to me, and consequently I don't feel in the least guilty about whatever measure of success I've achieved, or the toys that come with it.

Last edited by Fozzybear; 05-02-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys,we all did work and invest wisely,when I go to Church they seem to pass the plate twice to me lol...

Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Oddly enough, I deal with this almost daily. We all may suffer on hard times. Misfortune doesn't discriminate. All we can do is stack the odds in our favor.

But - while I'm trying to decide when/which Cayenne to purchase next, I have friends/acquaintances that are unemployed and relying on others for food and housing. These are conversations I can't have in some circles.

I'm still trying to find a way to give charitably without those receiving benefits becoming dependent on my awards. I've been burned entirely too many times by some taking my donations (either with time, money or both) as a permanent expectation.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
I can definitely think of worse problems to have.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
We are fortunate, no doubt about that.

That being said, I saved up money and paid cash for my C4S. It wasn't a splurge, and it wasn't buying something that I couldn't afford. Lots of people who drive $50K+ pickups have no idea that I paid less for my 996 than they paid for their F-150.

I don't worry about it.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Jaspergtr,my favorite is will you loan me,I swear ill pay you bac,you know you have it.lol

Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM
I use to wrestle in Puerto Rico and the kids would come to the window as we eat and rubbed their bellies begging for food,sorry for posting this I just sometimes struggle with my success and all Ive been blessed with.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
i do not feel bad at all, i pay my taxes and i work my *** off

Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Gonzo911 will become famous soon enough
No. Not at all.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Natrby
Jaspergtr,my favorite is will you loan me,I swear ill pay you bac,you know you have it.lol
I'm at the point where I never loan money to anyone. I either give it, or not. If they return the favor, great. If not, cool.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 AM
FlyRyde has a spectacular aura aboutFlyRyde has a spectacular aura about
Grab a copy of the book "The Blessed Life". There's a great chapter about the feeling of guilt for what you have / resentful for what you don't have, and the balance between the two which is the goal. Great book man.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 AM
stephan_porsche will become famous soon enough
I agree with most the comments. I started with nothing and now earn $168K a year and work my *** off to earn it. Anyone can lift themselves up with motivation and taking advantage of opportunities when they happen. Yes I drive a modified used Porsche, because most my income goes to 401K, Savings and Investments.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Don't feel bad, be appreciative, and if you're so inclined, pay it forward. I've been on both sides of the fence and know how lucky I am to have a nice home and a car that is a thrill to drive. Enjoy what you have. There is no guarantee that your good fortune will last forever.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: In this economy does anyone feel bad being blessed beyond measure