996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

deal or no-deal, fraud or misleading?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 PM
kdiro is on a distinguished road
deal or no-deal, fraud or misleading?????

fellow members please chime in here. i had a member pm me regarding a purchase. the first contact from them stated a price delivered to a zipcode within the US. i agreed and was sent another pm that payment was sent and to ship to a US address matching the zip code from the first pm. buyer would only pay by paypal and when payment arrived the confirmed shipping address for the paypal account was in Canada. i contacted paypal and was told that this would not be fully covered by their protection plan and if i shipped and there was a problem that i would not be able to get a full refund. i decided to issue a full refund to the buyer as this type of activity is a common fraud on ebay.

thoughts, comments??

my thoughts are NO-DEAL and this is a cause of attempted fraud (claim they never showed up and paypal gives the buyers money back). this happened to me years ago on ebay and my policy is honesty always, requested ship to address must always match a confirmed paypal address if paying with paypal!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-10-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: no selling outside of the marketplace just links
Old 08-09-2013, 04:19 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
It depends on the members history. If they've been on here awhile its more than likely not fraud rather they don't want to pay custom and duties. A lot of Canadian buyers will have a us address but their PayPal shows Canada due to their cc billing address.

Again, do what you would like but if its a long standing member its probably all good.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
a year ago I sold my P wheels to a guy with shipping address in NY but he was in Canada. he was an oriental and sold tires on ebay. told him I wouldn't ship to Canada for my shipping fees, he paid for rims and not shipping and he had fed ex pick them up at my house. got my $$ and no problems.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Holdem will become famous soon enough
Not unusual. I have several shipping addresses on my PayPal acct. Often buy and ship to friends or relatives as gifts, etc. Also, many of my Canadian friends have U.S. addresses.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:53 PM
rsalicrup is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by C4SxM5
It depends on the members history. If they've been on here awhile its more than likely not fraud rather they don't want to pay custom and duties. A lot of Canadian buyers will have a us address but their PayPal shows Canada due to their cc billing address.

Again, do what you would like but if its a long standing member its probably all good.
This. I deal with a lot of this type of sales and it is usually because taxes, customs and the cost of shipping.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
I almost always have things shipped to a US address and then pick it up there. I'm ~40 minutes from the border and it saves me a bundle in additional shipping and brokerage fees.

No scam, just a savvy shopper.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
My thought, as someone who sends and receives from Canada, is that you have already done the refund so the question is moot. If the shipping would have covered the shipment, and the PayPal cleared with no problem, I would have shipped it.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
I have my Porsche listed for sale and I have received texts saying the buyer was overseas on government business, or on a ship at sea, wouldn't be able to check out the car but would pay what I was asking if the car was in the shape I stated. They said they could pay via PayPal and asked if I had an account. If I didn't have an account they said to apply then send the account # to them. Once payment was received by me they would send their agent to pick up the car. I called PayPal on this and was told it was a scam that has been going on for awhile. FYI