996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

OEM or cross drilled slotted aftermarket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 02:07 PM
flybye_ is on a distinguished road
OEM or cross drilled slotted aftermarket

Hey folks with 26k it's time to do brakes. I get a shutter when braking from 120 and down, so I know I over cooked the rotors at some point. Yes I drive a bit hard and do 2-3 DE's a year at most.

My questions are as follows:
Replace with OE setup? or maybe sport pads?
Replace with a little more aggressive pads and OE rotors?
Or go full out non OE pads slotted/ cross drilled.
Also this is a DIY project, my light isn't on yet so I can save my sensors I think. Do people really not reuse the caliper bolts and pad spring or is the stealer taking advantage of me.

Thanks

Old 09-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
Subscribed

Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
For the way it sounds like you drive, I'd go with a slotted Girodisc replacement set and use OEM pads. If you wanted something slightly more aggressive for a pad, you could go with a pagid RS29 or something like that which is a good mix of street/track. The two-piece Girodisc rotors are a great value.

As for the caliper bolts and springs...it's true, Porsche does require dealers to replace them and states they are "one-time use". Personally....I'd replace them.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Shaph is on a distinguished road
I had mine replaced myself about 10K(kilometers) ago with

DBA HD 4000XS
(http://www.dba.com.au/products/stree...uty/hd-4000xs/)

cost me $600 for the pair up front, they only make fronts for the 996 in this model.
i went with Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake pads.
I'm really happy with my setup definitely happy with my setups. stops really well with minimal brake fade

Old 09-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I've always used stock brake parts and I've always been happy with them. Porsche OE brakes are really quite good. My car is primarily used as my daily transportation, so I don't want to compromise on street performance vs. track performance. Sport pads or track pads do improve braking performance on the track, but they require heat to actually give you improved performance. Sometimes it's difficult to keep them hot enough on the street (think cold, rainy day) and they actually perform worse than OE pads. Squealing/noise can also be an issue with sport pads. When you change things from the OE configuration, just make sure you understand the trade-offs and that you're comfortable with them.

Have you considered upgrading your brake fluid? It's a cheap way to improve braking performance on the track without a compromise on the street. I like ProSpeed RS683 fluid. Also - I do change the hardware as Porsche recommends. It's not expensive.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 AM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
FWIW, I replace the caliper bolts but reuse the other hardware if it passes a close visual inspection after I thoroughly clean them.

A broken caliper bolt at the wrong moment is really bad news, and an unacceptable risk in my opinion. The other parts, should they fail, will be annoying but that's about it.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 AM
300cd300sdl911 is on a distinguished road
Slotted rotors definitely especially if doing DE. Just replaced my drilled rotors, up front, as cracks began propagating hole to hole. I personally wouldn't want to save money on re-using brake parts. Cost vs risk is too high in my opinion.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM
jzarrabi has a spectacular aura aboutjzarrabi has a spectacular aura aboutjzarrabi has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
For the way it sounds like you drive, I'd go with a slotted Girodisc replacement set and use OEM pads. If you wanted something slightly more aggressive for a pad, you could go with a pagid RS29 or something like that which is a good mix of street/track. The two-piece Girodisc rotors are a great value.

As for the caliper bolts and springs...it's true, Porsche does require dealers to replace them and states they are "one-time use". Personally....I'd replace them.
Do they make a front and rear girodisc replacement set for the c2? Any part numbers? Its getting close for me to replace mine and I have the same problems.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 AM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
Giro or Stock are good options for rotors.
I've had great luck in the past with Hawk HPS pads and run them on everything (Viper, Murci, M3, etc). They don't tear up rotors, are not very loud, and perform quite well.
Pads are still good on my 911, otherwise it would have HPS.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Sebro makes some slotted rotors that aren't very expensive. Slotted is the way I would go if you're hard on your brakes, as they are less prone to cracking.