996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Porsche 7000 mile Cross Country trip DONE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:13 PM
swaff has a spectacular aura aboutswaff has a spectacular aura about
Porsche 7000 mile Cross Country trip DONE!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a little bit from a cross country trip I just did in my car from Atlanta to California, and back. When I bought this car, I really wanted to do some kind of journey to see how it held up, and I have been wanting to do a cross-country trip for quite some time. What better way than in a Porsche! So, I got some new brakes and an oil change, then hit the road! Zero problems from the car, and it ran like a champ from coast to coast. Below is some info on my car and trip.

CAR:

1999 Porsche 911, Black
3.4 Liter
K&N Air Intake
81,011 miles upon start of trip
87,955 miles upon finish of trip
Original clutch, 6 speed "Manuell"
New Brakes (Hawk Performance Ceramic)
New Water Pump & Thermostat, , new serpentine belt, and new Porsche Coolant (as of a few months ago)

TRIP:

13 days
19 states visited
6944 miles driveway to driveway
Top speed: 137 mph
Pulled over once for going 8 over, uphill in Utah. No ticket.
Started in Atlanta, GA
Drove to San Diego, CA and then north up Pacific Coast HWY to most-western point of Pigeon Point Lighthouse, Pescadero, CA

MAJOR CITIES & SITES:

Atlanta, GA
Auburn, AL
Gulf Port, MS
New Orleans, LA (downtown, Bourbon St, Cafe Du Monde)
Baton Rouge, LA (LSU Stadium, Mike's Lair)
Houston, TX
Austin, TX ("I Love You So Much" graffiti spot)
Albuquerque, NM (Blue Star Memorial)
4 Corners, USA (intersection of Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico)
Glen Canyon Dam, AZ
Grand Canyon, AZ
Las Vegas, NV (Las Vegas sign, all spots mentioned on Brandon Flowers' Flamingo album)
San Diego, CA (Mount Soledad memorial, La Jolla Beach, Old California Coffee)
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood, CA (Hollywood sign, Hollywood Blvd strip)
Venice Beach, CA (Deus Ex Machina moto shop, Santa Monica Beach, Malibu)
Burbank, CA (Bob's Big Boy car show, Warner Bros Studios)
Paso Robles, CA (James Dean Memorial Junction, HWY 41 & 46)
Pebble Beach, CA
Pescadero, CA (Pigeon Point Lighthouse)
San Francisco, CA (Lombard Street, "Full House" house and Alamo Square ("Full House" park) Pier 39, Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf)
Tahoe City, CA (Lake Tahoe, Tahoe National Forest)
Reno, NV
Salt Lake City, UT
Provo, UT
Cheyenne, WY (Lincoln, Monument)
Oshkosh, NE (corn fields)
Julesburg, CO (Colorado state line)
Lincoln, NE
Iowa state Line
Kansas City, MO
Elwood, KS
St. Louis, MO (Gateway Arch)
Mt. Vernon, IL
Oak Grove, KY
Nashville, TN (The Pharmacy, downtown Nashville, Broadway, Historic Tanglewood)
Atlanta, GA

Tags: road trip, roadtrip, high-mileage

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GA2CA2013_Odometers.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	287845   Click image for larger version

Views:	73
ID:	288451   Click image for larger version

Views:	1405
ID:	288469  
Attached Images                                                                                            

Last edited by swaff; 10-09-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:53 PM
fast996 is on a distinguished road
Well done OP !!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Stone_05 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing! Would love to do this one day.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
That looks like a great trip indeed. I would have deleted a couple of the cities visited for some of the life-changing epic roadways we have in Colorado ( )but I'm biased.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 AM
bgx-9101 is on a distinguished road
that sounds and looks like an awesome trip. too bad there is always a guy standing in front of your car in your photos!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Awesome trip and pictures, love the odometer one. I really hope to do the same thing someday. Did you run in to any weather issues or trouble finding gas?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Nice job! Bet you had a lot of fun.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM
I really wanted to go through Colorado, but I kept hearing of floods around the time I was going to go through, and I decided to go around it. Probably could have did some more research on where all was flooding, but was on a bit of a schedule to get back and didn't look into it. Missing it is a good reason for me to drive up there sometime and see it.

Originally Posted by denversteve
That looks like a great trip indeed. I would have deleted a couple of the cities visited for some of the life-changing epic roadways we have in Colorado ( )but I'm biased.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
Awesome trip and pictures, love the odometer one. I really hope to do the same thing someday. Did you run in to any weather issues or trouble finding gas?
I didn't have any weather issues. I've heard of there being some pretty crazy sand storms and heavy rain at various times out in the desert, but I didn't experience any of that. Late September was amazing time for travel since it was a little cooler. My car usually runs at 220 F in GA, but going through those deserts at 85 mph, I was consistently running the car at only about 185-200 F.

Once I got to west Texas, it seemed like no gas stations west of there ever had gas above octane 90 or 91, so that is what I had to use. Even once I was in Los Angeles, the highest octane I saw was 91. I didn't experience any problems with the gas/engine performance though (didn't use any octane boost), and I made it a point to always start looking for a fill-up once my tank got close to 1/4. My car will go about 350 miles on a full tank if I am cruising 6th gear most of the time with no high revs or take-offs, and I was able to get from station to station with no problem at that rate, usually pulling in about every 275 miles.

The only nervous thing is when you are out there for a 200-300 mile run in the desert with no one around for hours, and the cell service is usually dead. Most of those roads don't have call boxes either. It's all in God's hands at that point!

Swaff

Old 10-09-2013, 05:15 PM
pmkazz will become famous soon enoughpmkazz will become famous soon enough
Thanks. Enjoyed your trip from the pictures...

Old 10-11-2013, 10:13 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Great story. Thanks for sharing!!

Old 10-11-2013, 11:12 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
DAMN!!!

I like the Mt. Soledad pic

Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 AM
Spec C has a reputation beyond reputeSpec C has a reputation beyond reputeSpec C has a reputation beyond reputeSpec C has a reputation beyond reputeSpec C has a reputation beyond reputeSpec C has a reputation beyond reputeSpec C has a reputation beyond reputeSpec C has a reputation beyond reputeSpec C has a reputation beyond reputeSpec C has a reputation beyond reputeSpec C has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty epic roadtrip, and great pics.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Kent will become famous soon enough
Awesome trip and fantastic pictures!

Old 10-13-2013, 05:05 PM
SoCal GT3 will become famous soon enough
Way to go...glad to hear the 996 held up and did so well!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 7000 mile Cross Country trip DONE!