996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

installed amp and speakers...PROBLEM! Interior lights stay on and door dont close!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 AM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
installed amp and speakers...PROBLEM! Interior lights stay on and door dont close!

So i had my installer install new headunit, amp, and speakers (focals). Now the interior lights stay on at all times! Even when you close the door they are on.

The lock button on the car doesnt work. The remote doesnt lock or unlock the car. It just gives a beep when you push it once.

Does anyone know what it could be.

We had the whole car apart (doors) etc.

FYI we took out the old amp.

Im just hope it isnt anything big!

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Saibot is on a distinguished road
Check your door latch.

The car is supposed to beep when you try to lock it with the door "open" - this explains your interior lights too

Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Saibot
Check your door latch.

The car is supposed to beep when you try to lock it with the door "open" - this explains your interior lights too
Thank you so much!! I'll have my installer take a look today. Could it just be mislatched?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jateshk
So i had my installer install new headunit, amp, and speakers (focals). Now the interior lights stay on at all times! Even when you close the door they are on.

The lock button on the car doesnt work. The remote doesnt lock or unlock the car. It just gives a beep when you push it once.

Does anyone know what it could be.

We had the whole car apart (doors) etc.

FYI we took out the old amp.

Im just hope it isnt anything big!

Thanks!
When he pulled the old head unit, did he see the alarm trigger wire on the left side? It should not be grounded! I learned the hard way about this wire when I upgraded to double din. My doors would lock but I would get the horn warning. I found that if the door doesnt shut it wont lock and I get the warning horn. So after you fix the door problem and if you still get the warning horn, check the HU trigger wire.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
When he pulled the old head unit, did he see the alarm trigger wire on the left side? It should not be grounded! I learned the hard way about this wire when I upgraded to double din. My doors would lock but I would get the horn warning. I found that if the door doesnt shut it wont lock and I get the warning horn. So after you fix the door problem and if you still get the warning horn, check the HU trigger wire.
Is the trigger wire connected to the harness at all? Im trying to find a pic of the alarm trigger wire. (I want to have all information handy once the installer comes back tonight!)

Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Is the trigger wire connected to the harness at all? Im trying to find a pic of the alarm trigger wire. (I want to have all information handy once the installer comes back tonight!)
There is a plastic plate on the left side of factory HU. It has a tab and a male spade terminal. I believe it was a brown wire plugged onto the spade terminal. The tab touches plastic on the HU and if someone tries to slide it out with alarm set, the tab scratches across the metal on the radio housing and triggers the alarm. At least that's how mine worked! I am new to these cars so I am getting a "crash course"

Old 01-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Ok perfect. But i have a feeling it might be the door latch as the lights stay on at all times as well! But we'll check both! I had to disconnect the battery and not drive the car as it was going to drain it!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm sure it has something to do with the door as it won't lock. But just in case you still get the honk, I was throwing out a heads up just in case the installer "assumed" as I, that the wire should be grounded because that is what it looked like. After we were all back together and I got that wimpy little "meep" I discovered that the wire had to be open! Good luck!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks Guy. Will update you. Theonly other problem is there is quite a bit of engine noise. He grounded the amp is different place. Replacing the RCA's is next. But this door problem is my #1 priority as i cant drive with lights on at all times!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks Guy. Will update you. Theonly other problem is there is quite a bit of engine noise. He grounded the amp is different place. Replacing the RCA's is next. But this door problem is my #1 priority as i cant drive with lights on at all times!
try a ground loop isolator in line with the rca's. That cured mine. Radio Shack carries them.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
try a ground loop isolator in line with the rca's. That cured mine. Radio Shack carries them.
The problem is i put very expensive focals in the door. My installer says it will deteriorate quality. He wants to get them fixed the right way. But yes your right that will be my last case resort if we cant figure it out!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 PM
OK guys the installer came. We realized it was the driver door as the window didn't drop or go up that small amount when you open close.

That switch was not plugged in. So we plugged it in thinking that solved the problem..but not. SAME EXACT problem.

We took out the passenger door and saw that it was all ok.

We went to driver door and it all seems to be connected.

So the problem is the car thinks the door is always open that's why the lights don't go off and it makes that beep.

So what else can it be!!? My installer thinks its the whole "learn window" process. I googled and tried that (Windows down 10 sec...window up hold 10 sec) but no.

I am thinking its a microswitch.

FYI the alarm ground in the double din is not effected. Its not grounded.

At this point im frustrated and stumped. If you guys think its the whole learn process can you please let me know the exact window learn directions.

Or if you think its the micoswitch..which one can it be!? From what im reading there are 3? My installer is willing to install them if I can bring them.

Otherwise this will have to go to a indy and I know it might be expensive!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
I called a indy...they think its the door lock assembly. He wants $375 to install.

Is there a DIY. i cant seem to find it. The audio installer is willing to install if i get the part. Im not sure if just take to diy or get the part and have the audio guy install.

It still seems wierd. the plug was out we connected it back and still the same problem. Maybe it got fried?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Have you tried to do a capacitive discharge yet? It some times can be possible that the car learned that there was no door latch while it was disconnected, and now is not sending or receiving signals to it. If that doesn't work and it turns out to be a door latch we can order you one, for more information Click Here.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
Have you tried to do a capacitive discharge yet? It some times can be possible that the car learned that there was no door latch while it was disconnected, and now is not sending or receiving signals to it. If that doesn't work and it turns out to be a door latch we can order you one, for more information Click Here.
What exacly is capacitive discharge? I did leave the battery unplugged. Wen i get back home, i will plug in the battery. Do i need to follow any steps after that (like reprogram the windows?)

BTW ECS, you guys are great. I used to have a e46 m3 and e92 m3 and ive done a lot of business with you guys! My e46 had the ess supercharger that i loved!

Last edited by goto35; 01-07-2014 at 02:40 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: installed amp and speakers...PROBLEM! Interior lights stay on and door dont close!