996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Going for a rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 AM
dgjks is on a distinguished road
Going for a rebuild

I am so excited I thought I would start a new thread in a different forum.

1999 996 Carrera 4 Cab. Had the IMS replaced when the car was asymptomatic and found it had failed. Tried to just replace the IMS without a rebuild and no luck. 5K miles later metal started to show up in the engine.

Car is now on the way to Long Beach, CA for a rebuild. Could not find a place in NE Ohio that I felt comfortable doing the rebuild. Last update from the driver and car was in Phoenix. The car has been to more states than I have. Should be there tomorrow. This is like waiting for Christmas.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 AM
dans911 is on a distinguished road
Just so I have this straight:

1. The car was fine. You took it to have the IMS fixed as a preventative measure.

2. They said IMS had failed. Performed IMS fix.

3. 5k miles later metal began to show up (was it in the oil or was there a symptom that became present?)

That really sucks! Scary it took that long to appear. How many miles on the car?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:23 AM
It's a long story and I did not want to bore you guys with the details and the heartache. But I would be happy to if you are interested. The brief synopsis. When they did the IMS they found metal in the oil/engine. A lot. They recommended rebuild at the time but I was too cheap/short on cash so I decided to just get a new bearing and change the oil a lot. Worked well for the first few thousand miles but then in the last change more metal shavings started to show up again.

Decided not to risk losing the core and found shop with great reviews that could do the rebuild for $7500. Figured now or never.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:25 AM
37 K when I got the car
38 K when I did the IMS
42-43K now

Old 03-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Well, $7,500 is better than $16k plus for a new engine, I guess. Still sucks, sorry to hear it.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:07 PM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
Sounds awesome. There are a few guys here in Cincy that I would let them work on my motor. You in cleveland?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by NineEreven
Sounds awesome. There are a few guys here in Cincy that I would let them work on my motor. You in cleveland?
Please PM me with info on who you like around here in Cincy!!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:23 PM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
Ill post and PM, so in case anyone viewing this thread later checks it out.

There are a few shops, one being Wright Motorsports. They recently merged their street car shop and their race team shop into one place in easter cincy. They have a huge name in the Porsche world and do some amazing work. My best friend works for their "Snow Racing" team side of things.

Lastly is Turn-In Concepts. They specialize in boxer engines (primarily subarus) but have recently entered into the porsche world. Fair pricing (cheaper than wright) but good turn around time and honest guys. They recently got a new shop with an AWD dyno and a massive vacuum sealed engine room.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:29 PM
I am in Akron. No one in Akron/Cleveland would do it.

Had them IMS done at Kraftewerks in Columbus. Single guy shop. Great guy and I highly recommend him. Was honest and easy to work with. He wanted $12-$15K for the rebuild. He would have put in the upgraded liners (Nikies - I think), and also wanted 3 months.

After lots of research and phone calls decided to send to California to UFO motorsports.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by dgjks
I am in Akron. No one in Akron/Cleveland would do it.

Had them IMS done at Kraftewerks in Columbus. Single guy shop. Great guy and I highly recommend him. Was honest and easy to work with. He wanted $12-$15K for the rebuild. He would have put in the upgraded liners (Nikies - I think), and also wanted 3 months.

After lots of research and phone calls decided to send to California to UFO motorsports.
well, let us know how it goes~!!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Car arrived in CA!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:05 PM
pmkazz will become famous soon enoughpmkazz will become famous soon enough
Who is building the engine?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:22 PM
UFO Motorsports

Old 03-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Just spoke with Tim at UFO. He said he keeps forgetting to add a charge for east coast cars. I guess there is some rust on the muffler bolts. Hope none on the heads.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:13 PM
twining020 is on a distinguished road
I would do the V8 conversion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going for a rebuild