996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Advice on 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:10 AM
edes300 is on a distinguished road
Advice on 996

Still looking for 996, recently went to see a 2002 with 55,000 miles that was traded in at a Dodge dealer of all places. On my inspection there was a an oil leak around what was I think the area around the oil filter. No evidence of oil in the coolant but looks like it was never changed. The oil filler neck had about a quarter sized amount of whitish fluid which I suspect is a mix of crankcase oil mixed with the water in the air presumably from short distance driving. No evidence of water on the dipstick. Interior and exterior of the car were pristine. Brakes and tires ok and asking 25,000.

I asked to take it out for a test drive and the salesman went back to his manager to check and then came back and told me that no test drive unless there is a serious offer. I couldn't believe what he said then I told him that given the oil leak, no way more than 22,000. I then walked away and drove back to my office. About 15 min later they called me and said they would go down to 22,650. I did not drive back to drive the car mainly because I was in a bad mood about how they talked to me. Almost like they didn't think I could afford the car. Really bothered me since I'm an interventional cardiologist and I have a house that cost more in property tax per year than the cost of that car.

My question is is it even worth going back, with that oil leak could be anything and the dealership is at least 45min drive from my house. Assuming it has the original clutch and never had IMS upgrade.https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/4878888163.html

Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM
jj1
jj1 is on a distinguished road
I paid 25 for my 02 with 51k miles. It had 30 pages of maintenance records including IMSB ($3500 job), is in fantastic shape and this was in SoCal (used sports cars are at a premium here). I bought private party from an ER physician in Irvine.

Basically, it already sounds like you know not to buy that car. Be patient and you'll find a much nicer car. I prefer private party cars with a good PPI. You meet the previous owner and get a better gauge on how the car was treated.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:21 AM
F. Thumb is on a distinguished road
FWIW, my first reaction to the photos of the car in the snow was run.

Maybe not coincidentally that was also my first reaction when I read no test drive unless you can prove yourself 'serious.'

Old 02-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Bader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud of
Too much for non turbo

Old 02-14-2015, 12:57 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bader996
Too much for non turbo
+1
don't rush into something you might regret later down the road.
I would walk away. you don't want to buy anything that's leaking...there's plenty out there...IMO, for a few more G's ($), I would look for a 997.1, more hp, interior upgrades. etc, etc...G/L

Last edited by MkC2S; 02-14-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks so much for the quick responses. I think ill keep looking.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:06 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
Just stick it out another month and offer them $20k. They will want to unload it and nobody is buying Porsche's with snow around them. Overall, it looks like a good car.

Honestly, I totally understand why a dealer wouldn't want someone to take out a specialty car (even if it is only $25k) without someone willing to make an offer. After the drive, you could lower your offer.

The cap is likely from condensation and nothing to worry about. I wouldn't be worried about an oil leak around the oil filter housing. If it's coming from the trans/engine bell housing, then use that as further negotiation.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:40 PM
If I could get it at 20,000 it may be worth it assuming there are no drivability issues. I think the oil leak is could be rms but hard to tell without getting a good look under a lift.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by edes300
Still looking for 996, recently went to see a 2002 with 55,000 miles that was traded in at a Dodge dealer of all places. On my inspection there was a an oil leak around what was I think the area around the oil filter. No evidence of oil in the coolant but looks like it was never changed. The oil filler neck had about a quarter sized amount of whitish fluid which I suspect is a mix of crankcase oil mixed with the water in the air presumably from short distance driving. No evidence of water on the dipstick. Interior and exterior of the car were pristine. Brakes and tires ok and asking 25,000.

I asked to take it out for a test drive and the salesman went back to his manager to check and then came back and told me that no test drive unless there is a serious offer. I couldn't believe what he said then I told him that given the oil leak, no way more than 22,000. I then walked away and drove back to my office. About 15 min later they called me and said they would go down to 22,650. I did not drive back to drive the car mainly because I was in a bad mood about how they talked to me. Almost like they didn't think I could afford the car. Really bothered me since I'm an interventional cardiologist and I have a house that cost more in property tax per year than the cost of that car.

My question is is it even worth going back, with that oil leak could be anything and the dealership is at least 45min drive from my house. Assuming it has the original clutch and never had IMS upgrade.https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/4878888163.html
You probably should give the car a miss. An oil leak could be RMS/IMS end flange or bolts which is a tranny out job and this cost $1700 to fix on my 996 Turbo. 'course with the NA engine there is the question then while you are there do you install some aftermarket IMSB upgrade?

Also, there might be a clutch needed. My car didn't need a clutch so I was just the out labor/parts cost to fix the leaking RMS.

The leak could be higher up from an AOS, camshaft cover, spark plug tubes.

Unless you arrange to get a PPI from which you get a high confidence diagnosis just what exactly the leak is and know your risk to have this addressed if you buy the car, then you have to be careful. You could guess leaking spark plug tubes and it could the tubes and the RMS or it could be the RMS and the AOS or whatever.

My guess is the salesman didn't ask his manager, but just told you he did. (I once was trying to buy a car and the salesman kept leaving to "ask his manager" about this or that and staying away 5 or 10 minutes each time. Finally when he excused himself to go ask his manager again I gave him a short head start then followed him and followed him to the break room where he was taking a cigarette break.)

Besides, dismiss what the saleman said. The rule is everything a car salesman tells you is intended to get you to buy the car as soon as possible and to pay as much for it as possible.

You should have said I am serious, I"m asking for a test drive/ride before I make my final offer. Let's go back and speak to the GM together. I'm in a hurry as I might have to go perform heart surgery later, or something like that. Or better yet, you should have said you have other cars to look at because you intend to buy a car today.

And of course you have a list of other cars -- even other brands of cars -- so you can show the salesman/GM you have researched cars because you are ready TO BUY! While the salesman might ignore that the GM won't. He wants to move cars. The salesman wants to make a big commission so he's going to hold out for top dollar as any discount is money out of his pocket.

The salesman wanted an offer because imho the price was too high and he wanted you to commit to this to have some advantage over you. You were wise not to make an offer as it is hard to take money off the table once you have placed it there.

Last edited by Macster; 02-15-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Bader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud of
Does anyone know about tiptronic ?

Old 02-16-2015, 07:45 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
ALWAYS make a purchase from a non Porsche dealer contingent upon satisfactory PPI from a independent shop of your choosing. Especially when you see things like oil leaks yourself. Or else it could be a $20k+ mistake not including the car.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:07 AM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
I'm going sway the other side and say if your a physician and your annual property tax is more then the purchase price of the car then $22K for a 996 with that little miles is an easy fix. Worst case put in a new clutch, IMS and RMS and your good to go. 13 year old car oil leaks shouldn't be alarming. If you paid $100k and you had an oil leak the warranty should cover it anyways. Your not getting any younger. Sitting on the sidelines to find that perfect Porsche and not having one to drive is lame.

If you like the color and transmission style go get it.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:18 AM
Part of the issue for me is the way I was treated. I guess I could call them back at the end of the month and offer 20 over the phone contingent on the fact the car drives ok. At that price I would be able to easily accommodate most issues that crop up with these cars. I doubt that would take the offer though.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:35 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SCowboy
I'm going sway the other side and say if your a physician and your annual property tax is more then the purchase price of the car then $22K for a 996 with that little miles is an easy fix. Worst case put in a new clutch, IMS and RMS and your good to go. 13 year old car oil leaks shouldn't be alarming. If you paid $100k and you had an oil leak the warranty should cover it anyways. Your not getting any younger. Sitting on the sidelines to find that perfect Porsche and not having one to drive is lame.

If you like the color and transmission style go get it.
Lol, it doesn't matter if your Warren Buffet, the real point is no one wants to spend money on repairs that cost more than the car itself. It simply doesn't make financial sense.

One can not automatically assume anything and think it "might" be an easy fix. Most of the peeps that are paying $20k+ in property taxes are probably shopping for better examples or newer models anyways.

However I do agree that some peeps take way too long to pull the trigger on a relatively "budget" friendly car. Some for dumb reasons like wanting 100% full leather interior(including vents, lol) on a "sports" car.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Why aren't you looking at turbos?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice on 996