996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Clutch and motor mount suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:45 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Clutch and motor mount suggestions

I have 2003 996 C2 Coupe, 3.6L N/A.
55000 miles, many performance mods, dyno coming in spring est 375 RWHP.
Installing new clutch over winter, there are so many different Sachs model clutch set-ups , I cannot determine which is best. Also going to install semi solid motor and transmission mounts, not sure which mfg for these to go with.
The car is daily driver, 3-4 autocross /year and a few trips to drag strip.
DE in the near future.
Suggestions needed.
TY
David

Old 08-10-2015, 10:26 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Function First on the Motor Mounts and Transmission mount inserts. Keep in mind, there is a break-in period so initially the ride, noise, and vibration is going to be there. After a few weeks it'll subside, but since yours is a DD the break-in/seating time will be much shorter.

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
I have 2003 996 C2 Coupe, 3.6L N/A.
55000 miles, many performance mods, dyno coming in spring est 375 RWHP.
Installing new clutch over winter, there are so many different Sachs model clutch set-ups , I cannot determine which is best. Also going to install semi solid motor and transmission mounts, not sure which mfg for these to go with.
The car is daily driver, 3-4 autocross /year and a few trips to drag strip.
DE in the near future.
Suggestions needed.
TY
David

Old 08-10-2015, 10:51 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
which brand did you go with Torque Solution, RSS or some other?
The launch control is @ 5000 rpm for the drag strip and autocross, so it leaves with a lot torque going to the rear wheels. After mods were done I have some wheel hop, mounts and new suspension mods should solve the wheel hop.
ty
david

Old 08-10-2015, 11:18 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
The brand is Function First: http://www.function-first.com/

http://www.function-first.com/products/996

which brand did you go with Torque Solution, RSS or some other?
The launch control is @ 5000 rpm for the drag strip and autocross, so it leaves with a lot torque going to the rear wheels. After mods were done I have some wheel hop, mounts and new suspension mods should solve the wheel hop.
ty
david

Old 08-10-2015, 11:40 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
We always use the semi solid (no noise) RSS engine mounts:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=335

Old 08-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Sharkwerks
Noise? Do mounts make noise?

Old 08-11-2015, 06:41 AM
No matter which semi-solid mount you use there is going to be an increase in cabin noise and vibration even after the break-in seating time, some perhaps more than others. If you go with both (semi-solid mounts and transmission mount inserts) the noise and vibration will be more, there is no getting around this. Do not use solid mounts, they are for the track.
As mentioned, I used the Function First mounts and inserts and it took about a month before things settled down, not I still get a little vibration but not nearly as much as when first installed and I happy with my choice.

Hope this helps...Jim

Old 08-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Jim
Did you also do trans mount?
The vibration I understand, but the noise , is that just other things rattling around due to the vibration?
Or is there thumps when you hit the throttle?
David

Old 08-11-2015, 07:23 AM
Yes I did both. No thumps when you hit the throttle, in fact it's very tight on the road, in other words when you power up the engine doesn't sag. Cabin noise is from the engine because of the stiffness, but as I mentioned after awhile it settles down. And some of the noise is from things vibrating.

But let me state: The noise and vibration does not happen under normal driving, only when I drive aggressively and really hit the throttle and usually only over 3k rpms, just cruising around town driving like a normal person hardly notice at all, but it does help in handling since the transmission and engine are more stable. I just drove from Tampa to Sarasota and back and cruised down at 80mph and all was good.

Jim

Jim
Did you also do trans mount?
The vibration I understand, but the noise , is that just other things rattling around due to the vibration?
Or is there thumps when you hit the throttle?
David

Old 08-11-2015, 07:37 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I would like to see a 3.6l engine producing 375rwhp. I haven't seen one yet except on a Mezger unit.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:14 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Sharkwerks
Noise? Do mounts make noise?
they can add some noise/rattle to the cabin so we use the semi-solids. Full solid is not a good idea.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks Jim, just what I had hoped for!
here you go alpine, check timer on video and MPH on speedo

Old 08-11-2015, 11:18 AM
IMO sounds pretty good HP will be validated on dyno in spring when build is complete
Good sound = More HP

Last edited by NYoutftr; 08-11-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
here you go alpine, check timer on video and MPH on speedo
Porsche Evoms stage IV 5K Launch - YouTube
Still confused on how that translates into 375whp? Got any dyno graphs?

Old 08-13-2015, 01:21 PM
The reason I stated 375 RWHP is , IMO, when building a performance car, the parts that are prone to breakage and increased stress from not only raw horsepower/torque, but also repetitive use nearing each parts designed limits is not smart.

An example of what I am referring to is the clutch, if the car produces 330-340 RWHP, it would be short sided to install a clutch and flywheel package that is rated for 350 RWHP, the parts would be pushed to their designed maximum stress.
I am not one to be frugal with my Porsche, I also do not believe in doing the same modification twice.
Installing a clutch package that can repetitively substain 75%-80% of it's maximum capabilities is what I am hoping to get suggestions for.

I hope this clarifies why I posted this request for suggestions.
Regards
David

QUOTE=alpine003;4385322]Still confused on how that translates into 375whp? Got any dyno graphs?[/QUOTE]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch and motor mount suggestions