996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

need help with a short shifter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM
jamest112 is on a distinguished road
Smile need help with a short shifter

I drive my 996 non turbo, Friday, saturday and sunday. suspension upgrades and stock everything else. I need help deciding on a short shifter. I want to spend $300 or less. what's everyone suggestions????? please

Old 10-12-2015, 06:40 PM
dinicor is on a distinguished road
Having just gone through this recently, the options I'm aware of are:

B&M
Schnell
997 shifter
Ebay knock off

I've heard everyone rave about the first three. Not sure about the knock-off stuff, but the price sure is good!

I went with Schnell and am very happy with it. Any way you go, it's a great upgrade!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 AM
Thank you, anyone selling a used one?

Originally Posted by dinicor

B&M
Schnell
997 shifter
Ebay knock off

I've heard everyone rave about the first three. Not sure about the knock-off stuff, but the price sure is good!

I went with Schnell and am very happy with it. Any way you go, it's a great upgrade!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:28 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
This guy had one available (B&M) a few days ago for $120 plus shipping... see this thread
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...brace-etc.html good luck

Old 10-13-2015, 12:28 PM
thanks, I just pm him

Old 10-13-2015, 02:40 PM
dan_189 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jamest112
I drive my 996 non turbo, Friday, saturday and sunday. suspension upgrades and stock everything else. I need help deciding on a short shifter. I want to spend $300 or less. what's everyone suggestions????? please
There is also the 997 SSK as well as the 997 GT3 shifter.

Main differences to the 996 shifter are:
- 997 SSK - 35% reduced throw
- 997 GT3 15% reduced throw same as standard 997 shifter but has aluminium bushings

I have read the b&m shifter can be notch but it's personal preference

Best of luck

Old 10-15-2015, 12:35 PM
seattleC5 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dinicor

B&M
Schnell
997 shifter
Ebay knock off

These are the most relevant suggestions. I would add that you should consider your climate and how often you drive. When I purchased my 4S a few years ago it had a B&M in it and the throw was pretty short and worked well during decent (ie. warm) weather. However, in the Pacific NW if you drive year round, winter driving means some pretty chilly temperatures and with that came a lot of excess notchiness and a resistance to going smoothly in to gear, especially the first 5-10 miles.

Because of that I decided to install a stock 997 shifter. Granted the throws were a bit longer, but the smoothness, especially when cold was night and day. Never have a problem engaging any gear in any temperature. For me this was worth the trade off. If you decide on a 997 shifter, you can usually find a slightly used one on the various forums for not much more than $100.

Good luck.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:26 PM
so much to learn from this forum. thanks

hopefully I can find one soon.

debating on b&m

or 997 shifter.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:06 AM
2 TONIQ is on a distinguished road
The B&M has a direct mechanical feel with super short throws that make you feel like you're shifting a race car. I still get a silly grin when I snap off a couple of rapid rev-matched downshifts. This was one of my first mods and I'm still enjoying it daily, 8 years later!

Old 10-16-2015, 05:17 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
I went with 997ssk, good price at suncoast.
For me it works great.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the B&M a modification to 996 shifter, compared to 997ssk direct install complete shifter.

QUOTE=jamest112;4414569]so much to learn from this forum. thanks

hopefully I can find one soon.

debating on b&m

or 997 shifter.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-22-2015, 07:40 AM
So, I installed the B&M short shifter I got from Vogz last week.
#1 - Big thx to Vogz...excellent deal on a very nice piece already installed in the 996 base unit - nothing to do but drop it in and hook up the cables!
#2 - Easy install per instruction found on Renntech. Just follow the steps as outlined and you can't go wrong.
#3 - I haven't driven the car much, but just took on a quick "test drive" to make sure everything worked as it should.

My impressions * 20 min. test brought engine up to operating temp.
Based on the shifter that was in the car when I got it (standard 997 shifter).
The B&M has a "much" shorter throw - i.e. very noticeable... I can't say if it's truly "35%" or not, but like I say, very noticeable. It feels a good deal "tighter" i.e. harder to shift than the 997 shifter, albeit a little more "positive" click into gear. I haven't decided yet as to whether I "like it" or not...I'll have to drive it some more and live with it for awhile.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
We have new B&M units in stock. Email me for special 6speed deals: info@bumperplugs.com

Old 10-29-2015, 05:43 AM
I've got the 997 shifter I just removed from my car. Perfect/like new condition. PM me if interested

Old 10-29-2015, 10:38 PM
Relegate is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I just installed a B&M in my '99 C2. I drove it for 15 miles and have another thread about it, but here goes:

The B&M, as reported, gives your car a motorsports feel. Shifts take some intention, throws are short, the engagement is definite. Although this sounds like heaven, you have to be on it 100% of the time.

The 997 stock shifter is a 15% shorter throw (I'm told maybe by @dporto) than the 996.

I can tell you it's a NIGHT AND DAY improvement over a clapped out stocker. Actually, anything will be. The point of view for my car is more motorsports than GT experience .

Have fun, smile often, shift well!

Last edited by Relegate; 10-29-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:49 PM
dan_189 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Relegate
Hi,

I just installed a B&M in my '99 C2. I drove it for 15 miles and have another thread about it, but here goes:

The B&M, as reported, gives your car a motorsports feel. Shifts take some intention, throws are short, the engagement is definite. Although this sounds like heaven, you have to be on it 100% of the time.

The 997 stock shifter is a 15% shorter throw (I'm told maybe by @dporto) than the 996.

I can tell you it's a NIGHT AND DAY improvement over a clapped out stocker. Actually, anything will be. The point of view for my car is more motorsports than GT experience .

Have fun, smile often, shift well!
Good to hear about the b&m...

Although from what I have read the 997 GT3 is the same as the standard GT3 just with metal bushings instead of plastic. The metal was introduced in the 997 GT3.2 the GT3.1 had plastic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: need help with a short shifter