996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Torque Solution Engine Mounts not fitting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 01:06 PM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alpine003
If you've ever driven older 70's or 80's sports cars or even air-cooled 911's, you'll be right at home. OTOH, if this is your first sports car and you're used to the Lexus type ride or disconnected and numb ride from Camry type cars, then this mod may not suit you.

This brings back the raw and visceral feeling while dramatically improving the handling/weight transfer aspect during spirited drives contributing to the more "analog" feel that a lot modern sports cars lack these days. I'd gladly sacrifice a little bit of NVH for these gains. YMMV
OMG Alpine you sold me. I love the way the water cooled feel and drive, that go-kart feel. I drove a Lexus RC when they first came out, one of my friends works at a Lexus dealership and she let me dog the crap out of one, and that was my main concern and dislike about the car completely unplugged from the driving experience. I floored it from a dead stop and did not sink me in the seat it felt plush and reserved. Cornering was even worse. It made more noise then torque, for the price they were asking I would need to drop another 10k in it to get it to feel like a real sports car.

I owned a 87 fox body mustang back in the late 90's that I used for drag racing and it was also my DD. I had no more money to by a second car so I drove the beast around. I completely rebuilt the engine and customized the car specifically to drag and I got stiffer mounts for that. It was absolute hell that car would rattle and shake you to a migraine head ache at a stop light I needed to be at 3k rpm's for the car to settle in. My girlfriend at the time hated it she would get sea sick in the car. LOL... But the noise of the exhaust and engine rattle would muffle her continuous talking. Big plus there.

But you sold me on the description when you mentioned Lexus. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Mounts purchased.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:09 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nottoshabi
OMG Alpine you sold me.
I just want to be clear that IMO upgraded poly engine mounts gives you the 80%+ of the performance while having the lesser amount of NVH intrusion, which is what most will tolerate from a DD. I would do that first and see if you need or want to do the upgraded poly transmission mount which IMO only gives you the 20% or so of performance increase but really increases the NVH considerably. I suspect most will only do the poly engine mounts and leave the transmission mount alone, unless it is totally ripped apart or broken.

I would say in most of my driving, I don't even notice it(probably because I have exhaust/firm suspension. The only times that I'm concious of it is when I first start the car and the SAI is going, and also when it is cold outside below 40deg F.