996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Water Pump Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:52 PM
carsareart is on a distinguished road
Water pump replaced. Had some trouble with the 1 bolt that is on the far right side. It kept trying to go in at an angle. Finally got it in straight and was able to finger tighten all of the bolts.
The video was very helpful, Thanks

I used a sharpie to mark the long bolt positions on the new pump to help me remember where they went.

I used 3 gallons of distilled water to refill, I will drive for a few weeks and make sure there are no problems. I am planning on installing a lower temp thermostat so I will refill with the antifreeze mixture them.

First fill was about 2.25 gallons. I took a drive and ended up getting the coolant temp light to start flashing. I pulled over and shut her down, checked the over flow tank and it was dry, filled it up and then the light went out. finished the drive and topped it off once more. temp stayed right on 180 through out the drive. spent about an hour on the drive, it sure was nice to enjoy my little car again. I have not had much time in it this last year. I had to put some gas in and found out it has been 8 months since i last filled it up. crazy how fast time goes by.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:03 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by carsareart
Water pump replaced. Had some trouble with the 1 bolt that is on the far right side. It kept trying to go in at an angle. Finally got it in straight and was able to finger tighten all of the bolts.
The video was very helpful, Thanks

I used a sharpie to mark the long bolt positions on the new pump to help me remember where they went.

I used 3 gallons of distilled water to refill, I will drive for a few weeks and make sure there are no problems. I am planning on installing a lower temp thermostat so I will refill with the antifreeze mixture them.

First fill was about 2.25 gallons. I took a drive and ended up getting the coolant temp light to start flashing. I pulled over and shut her down, checked the over flow tank and it was dry, filled it up and then the light went out. finished the drive and topped it off once more. temp stayed right on 180 through out the drive. spent about an hour on the drive, it sure was nice to enjoy my little car again. I have not had much time in it this last year. I had to put some gas in and found out it has been 8 months since i last filled it up. crazy how fast time goes by.

Wow, 8 months between fillups! How many miles since your last oil change? The recommendation is 6 months or 5000 mi. which ever comes first.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:55 PM
yep, I think it is time for an oil change too. not nearly enough seat time in the last year. let this be a lesson to all of you out there! Get out there and enjoy your cars! I sure plan to put a few more miles on mine this next year.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:12 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carsareart
yep, I think it is time for an oil change too. not nearly enough seat time in the last year. let this be a lesson to all of you out there! Get out there and enjoy your cars! I sure plan to put a few more miles on mine this next year.
You might think about some Stabil in the gas tank too - pretty stale gas after 8 months. I use this if I know the car won't be driven for a while.

https://www.zoro.com/sta-bil-fuel-tr...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 10-07-2016, 04:20 PM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
@carsareart This is what I did when I replaced my thermostat maybe it will help you.

Jacked up the car in the back on both sides placed jack stands underneath. I jacked up as high as possible front bumper was touching the ground. Make sure its secure cause you will be running the wheels. Took the cap of the coolant tank. Removed old thermostat replaced with new torqued them down there is a write up on rennlist and it tells you the torque #'s. I also replaced my radiator at that time, it was cracked I hit a traffic cone @ 100mph. Some coolant leaked from the thermostat housing, but because I took the radiator out first I did not have much, you on the other hand might have a bunch. Have rags and napkins handy, to wipe down anywhere that coolant gets or touches the engine or headers. Cause you will never get that smell out when the car heats up. It will smell like coolant for a long time. Have some wd40 handy as well to spray the engine around the water pump and thermostat area. To prevent the coolant staying there and smelling if you don't do this you will never be able to smell a leak in the future cause your car will always smell like engine coolant and its not attractive either. Then get your self a long funnel or a funnel with a whose to help with the refill. Whit the car still up in the air after you are done installing the parts, start adding fluid fill the reservoir place the cap, hand tightened it don't go crazy. Start the car let it run for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the engine off. Then slowly remove the cap have the rags and paper towels near by the opening its going to start spitting at you, not much the first 2 times but as more and more liquid/pressure builds up it will be more aggressive. Use that long funnel that is long enough to be far away from the paint and add more fluid. I use the Porsche brand and added half of the 1gallon bottle first then filled the bottle back up with water to the top. Hand tightened the coolant tank cap and started the car this time let it run for 5-7 minutes. Turn of the car let it sit for 10 minutes and slowly open the coolant cap. Whipping off anything that spits out. Used the long funnel and kept adding fluid till the tank was full. Put cap back on this time you have to start tightening the cap. Turn the car on for about 5-7 minutes, let it cool and refill tank. When the coolant tank is filled for the 3rd time I turned the car and put in first gear and let it run for about 15 minutes watching the tank level. Since the car is raised from the back and secured the wheels can spin freely. At this point I have to warn you that if have been drinking beer throughout this whole process not to get any where near those wheels. They will cause major damage, and make sure the car is secure and can not fall off the jack stands cause then you will have one hell of an issue and a $100 oil change can easily cost you thousands. After that turn off the car let it sit for about 45 minutes open the tank and refill by this time you should be good. This whole process should take you about 3hrs. Have fun and enjoy.

I decided to do the run of the wheels in the garage instead of going on a drive is because this way I can turn the car off if the level gets to low in the tank and wait for it to cool of in my garage not on the side of the street. Personal preference only. Also the wd40 spray was recommend to me by a Porsche mechanic you can or can not use it if you don't want to. But when that engine start to warm up and the wd40 evaporates, that smells really good.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the information. It looks like I will be opening the cooling system up again in the near future. My AC blend doors are loosing their foam. My AC is no longer cool going down the road and foam is blowing out of my vents. grrrrr.
So for my next adventure in Porsche Land Kids we will remove and recover the blend doors and vacuum out the air box.
new thread anyone?

Old 10-10-2016, 11:57 AM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
carsareart you should start a new thread and take pictures along the way, just in case some one need to do it to their ride they can fallow your steps.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:40 AM
Alabamatoy is on a distinguished road
Yep, I too would be interested in the blend door fix. Mine has been coughing up a steady phlegm of dried out and decaying foam insulation, presumably from these blend doors. Its quite embarrassing to have your otherwise cool sports car spit a big chunk of foam on your passenger's lap...foam that is so brittle you cannot even pick it up. Several of these pieces were so big that they got trapped on the backside of the vent louvers, so I had to get a vacuum cleaner and a hooked pick to extract it.