996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Advice on how much I should list my car for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:45 PM
911Toronto is on a distinguished road
Advice on how much I should list my car for?

Hi all,

After owning my car for almost ten years, I decided it's time to let it go as I barely use it, and the wife hates it!!!

100% stock when I bought it and all the below was done right, on my watch. Overall, over $35k put into it. Yes, man's greatest money pit, LOL.

Anyway, any advice what I should be listing the car for? Thank you in advance.

- EVOMS supercharger kit (V1). Tuned by EVO themselves and has been on the car for over 7 years. Runs smooth with occasional O2 sensor light. Will throw in portable reset tool.

- GT2 body kit all around, except from bumper, TechART replica. Body kit plastic, except rear bumper and rear wing, fiberglass.

- B&M short shift.

- H&R Coil-over.

- Full Fabspeed exhaust and TUBI tips.

- IPD Plenum.

- 19 inch HRE P40's with barely used Ventus V12 tires.

- New convertible top.

- Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH DIN.

- Thicker steering wheel, hand stitched yellow.

- Updated LED taillights.

- Tons of maintenance replacement parts over the years (plugs, injectors, belts, brake pads, liquids, MAF, coil packs...etc.)

- Tons more spare parts worth at least $700-1000.

- Original, yellow hardtop.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot more stuff that I upgraded over the years, but that's age for you, LOL.

Car is at just over 41k miles and is located in Ormond Beach FL.

So what do you guys think it's worth.

Last edited by 911Toronto; 12-22-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:31 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Nicely done!! Any remedial work done on IMS bearing?

Old 12-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Thank you for the compliment.

Never had any problems with the IMS bearing. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, never so much as a single drip in over 15 years :-)

Old 12-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
I wish you the best on this sale... I could see this being quite the uphill battle to sell though. The number that pops into my head is to start at middle to upper 20s

Last edited by Gungriffin; 12-22-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by Gungriffin
I wish you the best on this sale... I could see this being quite the uphill battle to sell though. The number that pops into my head is to start at middle to upper 20s
Thank you for chiming in.

I get compliments on this car everywhere I drive it, from both sexes (big reason why the wife want's it gone LOL). It spits out about 400 horses in 3000 pound car with ZERO nannies and well sorted out suspension, needles to say, it's a riot to drive.

As for the money, I'm fully aware any money put into the car is almost a wash, but I did it because it has been a fun distraction hunting for choice pieces and getting them put on, thus creating a completely different car from the nice, but somewhat dull stock car I originally bought.

In fact, your price range is what I had in mind too, but I am looking for a reality check as I really don't know what it's worth.

So curious, do you think it's going to be tough to sell because of the build or the money?

Thank you again for chiming in.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 911Toronto
Thank you for chiming in.

I get compliments on this car everywhere I drive it, from both sexes (big reason why the wife want's it gone LOL). It spits out about 400 horses in 3000 pound car with ZERO nannies and well sorted out suspension, needles to say, it's a riot to drive.

As for the money, I'm fully aware any money put into the car is almost a wash, but I did it because it has been a fun distraction hunting for choice pieces and getting them put on, thus creating a completely different car from the nice, but somewhat dull stock car I originally bought.

In fact, your price range is what I had in mind too, but I am looking for a reality check as I really don't know what it's worth.

So curious, do you think it's going to be tough to sell because of the build or the money?

Thank you again for chiming in.
The mileage is right and you the kit you have on the engine is a quality kit. The further from stock a build strays, the slimmer the number of customers looking for the car. The 99-01 headlights are also something that cause many people with a >20k budget to move up to the '02+. It will be an interesting game to find the price band that isn't too high to deter potential buyers, but also isn't so low as to scare off those same buyers.

The two items that I would recommend is
1) make sure the paint is mint (no swirls or RIDs) even if that means taking it to a detailer and
2) I would also see if someone can recommend a photographer to take some really great pics. I believe that your most receptive audience will be on the forums as well.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:47 AM
Also, the car looks really great in the photos. However, two things that jump out at me in the are
1) The yellow stitching on the steering wheel looks really nonuniform and subpar
2) The panel gaps in the photos of the front bumper around the side indicator don't look to line up as well as they should. (might just be the angle of the photos)

Either of those items might deter discerning buyers because they might make them wonder about the quality of the overall build (which actually looks quite good). Even if you don't modify the items on the car, be mindful about not centering them in any photos you post in the for sale ad.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Gungriffin
Also, the car looks really great in the photos. However, two things that jump out at me in the are
1) The yellow stitching on the steering wheel looks really nonuniform and subpar
2) The panel gaps in the photos of the front bumper around the side indicator don't look to line up as well as they should. (might just be the angle of the photos)

Either of those items might deter discerning buyers because they might make them wonder about the quality of the overall build (which actually looks quite good). Even if you don't modify the items on the car, be mindful about not centering them in any photos you post in the for sale ad.
Wow, you are a fountain of good advice, thank you so much :-)

I've not really paid enough attention to make the body kit perfect, or for that matter much of the cosmetics. You are correct, an exterior detail and more pro photography would do wonders.

Funny thing is NO ONE who sees the car believes it's a 2000. LOL

Old 12-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by 911Toronto
Wow, you are a fountain of good advice, thank you so much :-)

I've not really paid enough attention to make the body kit perfect, or for that matter much of the cosmetics. You are correct, an exterior detail and more pro photography would do wonders.

Funny thing is NO ONE who sees the car believes it's a 2000. LOL
I would certainly believe that everyone thinks it is a more late model year car. Especially when they they hear the exhaust note! Good luck with the sale!

Old 12-23-2016, 01:15 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
+1 On fitment of front bumper.

While you have modified the car, IMO, the mods sorted out and time tested, and maybe sought after by some people.

The factory options on the car are a plus. If you have the stock take off parts to add to the deal, it will open up your potential buyers.

You can never go back in price

With that in mind, the person who is actually going to pull out the money for this unique car, a high asking price is not going to scare them.

It will also reduce your time spent with people that are not going to follow through.

Just my thoughts, $29,500, hold out till you get min of $25k

Old 12-31-2016, 04:12 PM
Secular996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Depending on how quick youre planning on selling your car I may take it off your hands for ya. I PMd you.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:25 PM
Doug996InKC will become famous soon enoughDoug996InKC will become famous soon enough
Toronto, nice car! I did a double-take, as it is modified very similarly to mine (including the front bumper, VF Eng. supercharger). In the spring, I'm going to test the market, too, and plan on about a $29k asking price. Mileage is 66k, so yours would be much more attractive. Although, in 2005, EVOMS put a Porsche supplied remanufactured motor in (due to crank seal problems). So the block itself has around 36k miles. Anyway, good luck. I'll be watching this thread closely!

Last edited by Doug996InKC; 12-31-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by Secular996
Depending on how quick youre planning on selling your car I may take it off your hands for ya. I PMd you.

Sorry bud, never got your PM and been off the site for a while. I'm motivated to move the car before month end so let's talk and I'll make you an awsome deal.

By the way, Titan motorsports in Orlando dynoed my car a few years ago at about 420.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by Doug996InKC
Toronto, nice car! I did a double-take, as it is modified very similarly to mine (including the front bumper, VF Eng. supercharger). In the spring, I'm going to test the market, too, and plan on about a $29k asking price. Mileage is 66k, so yours would be much more attractive. Although, in 2005, EVOMS put a Porsche supplied remanufactured motor in (due to crank seal problems). So the block itself has around 36k miles. Anyway, good luck. I'll be watching this thread closely!
Sexy car Doug 😉

I see you had some issues with your fiberglass front bumper. I hated mine and ended up spending a whole lot repacking it with a plastic one.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:09 PM
jeffz is an unknown quantity at this point
Gotta be worth $25k. GLWS

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.